The Dark Knight Returns animated movies news

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, May 23, 2012.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Some of the voice cast of The Dark Knight Returns, Parts 1 and 2 have been revealed: Peter Weller as Batman, Wade Williams as Harvey Dent/Two-Face, Michael McKean as Dr. Wolper, Ariel Winter as Carrie Kelly/Robin, and David Selby (whose part hasn't been announced yet, but it's probably Alfred). Voice casting for Gordon, the Joker and Catwoman is yet to be announced. Jay Oliva is directing and Bob Goodman wrote the scripts.

The first part will be released in fall 2012 and the second part in early 2013. The banner for DC's animated movies is reportedly changing from DC Universe Animated Original Movies to DC Comics Premiere Movies as of these two releases.

You can see images from the movies here.

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

It should also be noted that Jay Olivia is storyboarding Man of Steel.

Impressive cast so far. I wonder who will voice Joker. I know Hamill has said he's done his last performance in the role but can't help wondering if this would be the adaptation to tempt him out of retirement.

3. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

So who is voicing Reagan?

The story seems dated. Make it a period piece and it would confuse non-comic fans. Retool it and its not the same, though.

4. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Batman Year One had period designs for clothing and vehicles. Faithful to the source. I suspect something similar here. While clearly Reagan, I don't think the President was directly named. It would easy to have a very elderly President who has served many terms. Younger viewers would get the character, while olders fans would know the intent.

5. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they should save trying to get Hamill (if they even try) for if they ever do The Killing Joke.

6. Captaindemotion

I imagine (rightly or wrongly) that animated movies like this mainly appeal to comic fans and don't appeal to a very wide mainstream audience. I think if Watchmen, a large-budgeted live-action movie, could get away with a setting during an alternate 1980s, where Nixon was still in The White House, then TDKR will get away with its setting and President.

I'd imagine that confusion between this movie and The Dark Knight Rises will prove a bigger problem for non-comic fans.

7. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Peter Weller as Batman? Wow. For this... for this, I can forgive them for not casting Conroy, Greenwood or Michael Ironside in the part. Peter Weller. Wow. Great call on Romano's part. Wow. Can you tell I'm diggin' the casting? ;)

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm actually not that fond of Peter Weller's voice or delivery, so I'm not thrilled by this news. As for Wade Williams, I'm not sure what to think. I really liked his voice when he appeared in "Civilization" on Enterprise; I thought it had a rich, Orson Welles-like quality. But I found him underwhelming as Black Mask in Under the Red Hood, though perhaps that was more to do with the character than the performer.

And it's interesting that Michael McKean plays the doctor who gets the Joker released, since McKean played the Joker himself in the Silver Age segment of The New Batman Adventures' "Legends of the Dark Knight." He also played a Mutant gang member in that episode's other segment adapting a portion of The Dark Knight Returns.

Ariel Winter has played Princess Perdita in both the character's screen appearances, the Green Arrow short and a Young Justice episode, but I don't remember what I thought of her performance. I'm unfamiliar with David Selby. (But IMDb says he's from West Virginia, so I'm puzzled by the suggestion that he'd be playing Alfred.)

9. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

David Selby:

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rlsp4r-S8hg&feature=player_detailpage[/yt]

Come to think of it, he's versatile enough that he could be voicing Alfred or Gordon.

10. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I can live with Weller, but I really, really, don't think I can truly accept an animated version of TDKR where Bruce doesn't sound like Clint Eastwood (or BB Kevin Conroy). I've read that book with Eastwood's voice as Bats for twenty-six years now.

Be cool if they at least got Tim Curry for the Joker.

11. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I'm definitely looking forward to this.

12. Disruptor

Disruptor Commodore

I always read it with Adam West's voice.

Joking.

I read it with Olan Soule's voice. "That's Right, Robin!"

13. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I've never read the book and only know a little about it, but weren't Clark and Ollie in it also?

14. Admiral James Kirk

15. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait a minute.. when was this originally announced?? I know rumors were floating around but when did they confirm they were making this? Good news, just don't remember reading anything about it till today.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This was announced at Bruce Timm's panel at SDCC last year. We did have a thread about it but it kind of died due to lack of news. I wonder who will voice Clark and Ollie. Not sure how I feel about Weller either, but I'm sure he'll do a good job as an older Bruce/Batman.

17. Captaindemotion

Hell yeah.

18. Admiral James Kirk

I wonder if Curry is at all pissed that Timm canned him from TAS. It would be nice if he played Mr. J in DKR though.

19. Captaindemotion

^ Was he canned or did he leave?

20. Admiral James Kirk

He was canned. Apparently he was too frightening.