Your top 10 moments...

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Smellmet, Sep 5, 2013.

1. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

What are everyone's top 10 scenes from the Trek Movies? (I'll include ST09 & STID if needed but as 10 of the 12 films for the majority I'll post it here) Here's mine:

1: Drydock flyby from TMP - the music alone carries the scene, the Enterprise has never looked better

2: Spocks Death in TWOK - nuff said

3: Scimitar battle in NEM - best space battle in the franchise, finally get to see what the Enterprise is capable of

4: Enterprise theft from TSFS - Fantastic scene, music, effects, suspense, humor, its got the lot

4: Enterprise launch in TMP - see number 1

5: Reliant 1st attack in TWOK - Brilliant music, suspense, great battle, and Kirk, despite getting caught with his pants down, back to his cunning best

6: Kelvin sequence in ST09 - Jaw dropping scene, birth of Kirk, top music

7: Opening sequence in STID - Cool as hell, Big E rising from the ocean, the volcanic ashes blending into the stars at the end, superb.

8: Borg space battle in FC - A bit cartoony now, but still one of my faves

9: USS Vengeance hunts down Enterprise in Warp in STID - The noise!

10: Phoenix launch in FC - Pivotal moment fantastic music

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

For ten, I'll have to think about it. But I absolutely loved this scene. I actually really like the Abramsverse warp effect, it gives you the feeling that warp speed can be a wild and dangerous ride. :techman:

Can't believe you left off the destruction of the Enterprise from The Search for Spock! :eek:

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The first one that immediately came to mind with the thread title was Chekov's "Botany Bay. Botany Bay. . .oh, no!" in The Wrath of Khan.

4. Smellmet

Forgot about that - knew this would happen so keep 'em coming guys! I actually prefer the warp effect from 09, I like the warp 'tunnel' but I don't like the 'dust' the enterprise seems to leave behind - seems a bit cheesy - favourite warp effect is TMP or the first one from TWOK hands down

5. Smellmet

Great choice - mine seem to be big space scenes in the main, maybe I need to do a separate one for 'character' moments...

6. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

That is also my absolute number one, and not just in Trek but from all the movies I ever saw. I can just sit back and enjoy these six minutes of motion picture magic - I get goosebumps every time.

Other great moments from the Trek movies:

• the battle in the Mutara Nebula in TWOK - the best staged and most believable Trek space battle ever
    • the first time we get to see the Excelsior in TSFS - a beautiful ship and the scene conveys a great sense of awe for the new design and technology (although Scotty clearly disagrees ;))
    • the campfire and "prison break" scenes from TFF - you´ll proabably hate me for this, but to me these scenes were among the only ones in all the movies that conveyed the sense of the triumvirate the way we had it in TOS
    • Scotty´s "Up your shaft!" to the turbolift in TSFS - just a great fun moment

Mario

7. Smellmet

^ I can see by your avatar!

I love the campfire scene in TFF, it's one of the best character moment in all the films, unfortunately for me though, its the only thing I like in the film. The drydock flyby though is just awesome, I just love the bit where Kirk is straining his neck to cop a look at the big E, then you can just see parts of it through the structure - brilliant, then when the shuttle swings round and Goldsmiths score bursts into life (the bit on your avatar) it's just timeless classic cinema, the likes of which you don't see any more

8. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

1. Kirk being made Captain again at the end of ST IV. (I was cheering along with the crowd).

2. The fly over of Excelsior to reveal the 1701-A Enterprise with the crew then entering the bridge to hear the original bridge sounds. "My friends, we've come home." In the end of ST IV. (Whole scene was awesome for me. As I was absolutely positive Kirk would get the Excelsior until be big reveal).

3. TMP flyby. (Beautiful and long awaited return of my favorite ship).

4. The destruction of the Enterprise in ST III. (I said "My God" at the exact same moment as Kirk there. My wife whispered, "How did you know he was going to say that?" "I didn't." I told her with tears in my eyes. I actually didn't think they would do it).

5. Kirk falling upon hearing of David's death in ST III. (Another tear jerking moment for me, and I did not even like David, but I really felt Kirk's pain there).

6. Kirk's "I lost a brother once..." conversation with Spock at the end of ST V. (Very nicely done scene).

7. The wedding scene of "Nemesis" with Riker finally being made Captain and marrying Troi. (Longest overdue events in all of Trek for me).

8. The battle with Chang's ship at the end of ST VI. (The entire battle was breath taking for me. Sulu's "Shake her apart..." comment to the arrival of Excelsior and the death of Chang).

9. The dinner scene with the Klingons in ST VI. (When Chang said "We need breathing room.", Kirk's "Earth, Hitler, 1938." Classic Kirk moment here).

10. The Mutara Nebula battle in ST II. (My favorite space battle in Trek until the battle with Chang's ship).

9. Smellmet

^Cannot argue with any of those, all excellent ones, some that make me well up! Maybe I need to have a rethink!

10. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

11. Smellmet

Like it. That's up there with 'double dumb ass on you'

12. Mario de Monti

Mario de Monti Captain Captain

And to me, the final finishing touch to this already perfect scene is right at the end, when you look at the rear of the pod nearing the docking port and the little light over the doors comes on. Simply magical.

Absolutely! An amazing moment from Bill Shatner.

Don´t we all ;)

13. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Here are mine in not particular order:

1. Kirk tells Dr. Gillian Taylor he is from the future. Star Trek IV
    2. Examination of the Enterprise with Kirk & Scotty. TMP
    3. Destruction of the Enterprise in Search for Spock
    4. Destruction of the Enterprise-D in Generations.
    5. Young Kirk meeting Old Spock. Trek09
    6. Spock's arrival on the bridge of the Enterprise in TMP.
    7. Spock's death in the Warth of Khan.
    8. Sulu flips the guard in Search for Spock
    9. Seeing the Excelsior for the first time in Search for Spock
    10. Seeing the Enterprise rise out of the water in STiD.

14. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

10: Spock mind-melds with a dying Pike.
    This is how you write "new Trek." You give something new that we've never seen before out of something old. It doesn't reinvent the wheel and yet it is surprisingly poignant.

9. "Spock! It will work!" Kirk, in the Vulcan ship in '09. Really felt like Shatner, yet not. Showed the friendship between these two coming to it's own.

8. The hand phaser fight aboard the Narada. ('09) Certainly a great way to exercise the surround sound speakers. Loved the pinging sound effects. And the new "stun/kill" turning device is fantastically imaginative.

7. "Do you like Italian?" from TVH. Verbal ballet at it finest

6. "Call me Jim." GEN. Underrated moment.

5. "What is it with you, anyway." TUC. Love McCoy. Especially when he is used correctly.

4. "Turn death into a fighting chance to live." TSFS. McCoy again. Tied for this spot is his "I'd prefer a dose of common sense" line from TVH.

3. First Contact from First Contact. This is really powerful to me. Love every moment of this film, but the last moment is the best.

2. "Now, Mr. Spock" TWOK.
    Before this, he was only Kirk in name, and he himself would admit that. He hadn't touched a captain's chair in a while, and even after taking command, he was simply running the usual gamut of standard orders anyone would give as he led the ship to Regula. But once he realized that Khan was back, and once he realized that he had only one way to get out of a bind, he became the Kirk we knew from TOS combined with someone much wiser. And it all happened in that moment.

1. "I never took the Kobyashi Maru Test, until now. What do you think of my solution...?" TWOK. Not just the most resonating scene in all the Trek films, but maybe in motion pictures in general.

15. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

Don't call him tiny. ;) Very cool Sulu moment.

16. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

17. Smellmet

One of the docs finest, funniest lines, that sums up years of their friendship together, and the acidic wit of Bones to a tee. Excellent.

18. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

The final 60 seconds of The Search For Spock - when the newly revived Spock walks slowly past his crewmates, takes a long look at each of them, then finally comes to Kirk - the conversation reminiscent of their best lines from TWOK, the moment of recognition when he nods and says "Jim... Your name is Jim." - Kirk agrees, breaks into a smile, and the crew clusters around Spock - we get the opening music from the original series and then, at the bottom of the screen, "And the Adventure Continues"... brings a tear to me eye, even after all these years.

Here's a few other favorites of mine, in no particular order -

The scene in sickbay in ST VI when Spock slaps the phaser out of Valeris' hand...

That shot of the Enterprise-A hanging in front of the moon in ST V - a great beauty shot!

"You really have gone where no man's gone before - can't you tell me what it felt like?" (McCoy, ST IV)

"I - have HAD - enough of YOU!" (Kirk, ST III)

"From hell's heart I stab at thee! For hate's sake - I spit my last breath at thee!" (Khan, ST II)

"Father."
    "I am returning to Vulcan within the hour - I would like to take my leave of you."
    "It was most kind of you to make this effort."
    "It was no effort. You are my son. Besides, I was most impressed with your performance in this crisis."
    "Most kind."
    "As I recall, I opposed your enlistment in Starfleet. It is possible that judgement was incorrect. Your associates are people of good character."
    "They are my friends."
    "Yes, of course. Do you have a message for your mother?"
    "Yes. Tell her - I feel fine." (Spock and Sarek, ST IV)

"Sybok, you are my brother but you do not know me. I am no longer the outcast child you left behind those many years ago. Since that time, I have found myself and my place, I know who I am... and I cannot go with you." (Spock, ST V)

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  19. jpv2000

jpv2000 Captain Captain

^Another very nice list. :techman:

I especially like those last 2.

20. Smellmet

Great list, the shot of the Enterprise-A in front of the moon is practically the only decent effects shot in all of TFF