Generations deleted scenes

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by los2188, Sep 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

The full scene is simply a 15 second extension of the shot that exists in the movie as is.
    It's POV is looking in through the pod 'window' and Sulu is piloting and looking forward. Kirk is also looking forward and then looking toward Sulu as he says his line. Nobody is offscreen in the take to be making faces and in any case it didn't affect Takei's performance--he does fine.
    Whatever happened in close-ups or in other takes of the scene are not important to the take in the movie or the slight extension of the take.
    Takei and Kelley are good in the scene and Shatner is ok. It would have been fine if they left it in.
    Obviously Shatner could have done all kinds of things in other takes, but in the one that 'almost' made the movie--he didn't ruin it.
    You are correct, I'm pretty sure that once the movie was put together and they realized it was good --perhaps good enough for a sequel--they simply figured why leave in a scene that has no relavance to the plot--especially if any sequel will focus on following up on Spock's death--not Sulu having his own ship.

2. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Or it could be simply that's what he was told by Nick Meyer, when asked after he didn't see it at the premiere. Its unlikely George would have have access to the workprint, and if Nick was lying, that would be a good reason to leave it off a directors cut that George would hear about!

3. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

They could have left the scene in regardless ... after Sulu went renegade in TSFS, they would have had the perfect excuse for NOT giving him his own ship after all.

4. Grant

Very true, but they didn't have the trek 3 script at the time of the release of Trek 2, so they couldn't have known how it would play out.

But that's the very excuse they used in the Trek 3 novel--that Sulu couldn't take command until the whole Genesis situation had blown over.

Personally I would have left in the scene simply because they promised him it would be in there. One line of Dialogue in any sequel would have taken care of why he didn't take command on schedule.

5. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

They also promised him a "moment" in ST III, flipping the guard - and in ST IV, meeting his great great grandfather (a small child) in the 20th century. Well, at least Sulu got to flip the guard.

6. Grant

Yep. The guard was played by the same actor who Spock nerve-pinched in TMP.
    Man, he could not get away from the Enterprise crews abuse no matter how hard he tried! :lol:

7. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    ^^ I never knew that about the guard - you learn something every day!!

8. Grant

Another, i think, little known fact..........

Tood bryant who played 'Klaa' in Trek5 and Klaa as the 'translator' in Trek 6---also played the blond guy standing next to Preston in the engine room inspection in TWOK (non-speaking part of course.)

9. wahwahkits

wahwahkits Commander Red Shirt

England, somewhere between Liverpool and Chester
    Never knew that either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

I didn't even know that he was in TUC!

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Yep. It was a favourite trivia question back in my ST club days. Gary Faga.

12. AlienJL76

AlienJL76 Cadet Newbie

I remember all of what you’re talking about. Soren tortured Geordi to find out what Guinean told them about Soren(actually didn’t tell them anything) shower scene and all it was an early release of the film. I’m guessing they cut it down due to complaints about the film from early viewers/reviewers. It’s my guess anyway. I missed the opening scene where Kirk skydives onto the Earth and declared he wasn’t going to the launch of the Enterprise B.

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Just so you're aware, the mods generally prefer that people start new threads versus resurrecting threads that have been dormant for a year+. There's a fairly good chance this will be closed shortly.

Otherwise, welcome to the board!

AlienJL76 likes this.
  14. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

AlienJL76, DonIago is quite correct. You responded to a thread that hadn't been active since late September of 2012. If a thread hasn't been active in a year, it's generally not okay to post in it. It's better to start a new thread on the topic.
    Thanks, and I'll just lock this thread. :)

AlienJL76 and DonIago like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.