Andromeda: Does anyone have this as their favourite show?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ReadyAndWilling, Jan 11, 2014.

1. js

js Captain Captain

Thanks. :)

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't call Andromeda my favorite show, but I do rank it among my top ten. But I never looked at it as being more than a weekend/late-nite sci-fi actioner with lots of laser gun & spaceship battles, stuff being blown up, and sexy people in leather. I think "Hercules in space" is a fit description of the series, but then Hercules was another Kevin Sorbo series I liked.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Or maybe people just hoped it would get a big fan following.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

One thing I never understood, and I've seen in mentioned on other sites, is the constantly appearing and disappearing crew of Andromeda. In the later seasons, some episode there would be tons of people wondering around the ship, and then in others the main characters seemed to be the only people on board. Was there an explanation for that somewhere?

5. js

js Captain Captain

Budget. :p

6. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

At the beginning of the Pilot, The Commonwealth hadn't fallen yet, and ship was full. When he was awoken, he had no crew and was joined by Becca's crew and Tyr. Once the Commonwealth was restored, there were resources to re-man the ship with Androids and to bring in crew. Then the Commonwealth fell again, and he was back down to basically no crew

7. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

You know, with the recent/current trend of various SF TV series being revived and/or continued as comics/graphic novels; I'd really love to see Andromeda in this format.

Perhaps, Robert Hewitt Wolfe could be talked into writing his version of Andromeda as a series of graphic novels. And why not get folks like KRAD and js to write some of them as well? Wouldn't have to worry about budget or anything like that. He could go wild and do the big scope epic kind of thing he wanted to do. and with the right artist, it could be wonderful, I think.

Unfortunately, I suspect there isn't the audience out in the world clamoring for something like this. A guy can dream, though...

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

9. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Kevin Sorbo is an awful actor...

10. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

You say this as if no-one has noticed...

;)

11. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I read that back in the day, but reading it again... man, that would have made for an awesome tv show. Particularly if they had a budget. :(

12. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

It bears repeating.

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

No, it doesn't ... you're calling unnecessary attention to the pretense that he IS an actor.

14. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The only problem with this would-be original series rundown is that it sounds like the entire crew gets separated in the later seasons. So you'd have a Dylan/Rommie story, a Tyr story, a Rev story, a Harper story... sounds incredibly expensive. You'd have to have four separate sets and casts! And they didn't have any money to begin with!

15. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Might have been the DS9 influence on him when he was coming up with his ideas after writing for it. Towards the end of DS9 you had the cast members split off into their own arcs in different settings.

DS9 itself, Bajor, Cardassia Prime, Klingon Empire(Worf), Great Link...

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Babylon 5 did the same thing.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Not to such a large degree, though. And it sounds like this would have become a permanent aspect of the later seasons, and not a mutli-episode arc or something. And they don't reunite until the series finale.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Feasible or not, RHW's Coda is awesome.

19. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

Your opinion, I enjoyed him in Hercules and Andromeda. I also like the man himself.

20. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm sorry but Kevin Sorbo was awful and the man has an ego the size of the Andromeda galaxy itself. He ran Andromeda into the ground.

I will never forget some of the interviews he gave that articulated how he felt about the show. I remember one where he exclaimed that "we're not making The West Wing hereā€¦its science fiction!." As if quality drama and scifi could not go together.

In another he proclaimed that he "hated the Commonwealth plot." He was sick of trying to restore the Commonwealth and wanted to "just restore it and move on with more exciting things." Nevermind that that was THE WHOLE POINT OF THE DAMN SHOW! That is why the restored Commonwealth seemed to come out of nowhere in ONE episode. I think that episode broke my brain because I watched it and realized that I had no idea what just happened.