The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, that's the weakest figure in the new Batman line to be sure. If they were just going to miss the mark with a Julie Newmar likeness we could have gotten a great Eartha Kitt instead, but oh well. They could always do a running change if they have to to correct her head.

2. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

They could, but I would say there's a better chance of Hasbro forever swearing off all repacks for the rest of time than there is of Mattel going back and giving this figure a new head.

3. cooleddie74

All I ask is that their Egghead figure look like Vincent Price. Get Catwoman wrong and you have two other actresses who played her. Get Egghead, King Tut or the Bookworm wrong and there's not much you can do unless you make running changes, and like you said Mattel probably wouldn't bother.

4. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i just want Yvonne Craig as Batgirl...

5. OdoWanKenobi

Catwoman was supposed to be the last figure in this line. There have been rumblings, though, that this line has far outperformed Mattel's expectations, and they want to continue it. They showed off a Surfs Up Joker at NYCC. That figure is an extremely simple repaint, so they could cobble it together quickly. Any other figure would require development time, so it may be SDCC at the earliest before we hear more. Word before was that Yvonne Craig was holding out on her likeness. She recently announced she had made a deal on the merchandising rights, though. Seems there is still hope for a Batgirl, Egghead, King Tutt, Bookworm, or Eartha Kitt Catwoman.

6. cooleddie74

I know some fans don't like him and some people have never heard of his character, but Roddy McDowall's Bookworm was fun. Plus, it'd be a Roddy McDowall action figure, and aside from a Cornelius or two made from the original Planet of the Apes films and TV series how often do we ever see that?

7. Captain Nebula

Captain Nebula Commander Red Shirt

Started collecting miniature Star Trek ships recently for playing the Federation Commander game. Between Heroclix/Star Trek Attack Wing and MicroMachine minis, I've got a pretty nice collection. Now I just have to figure out how to get them onto 1" hexstands for the game. Also keeping an eye out for the old FASA Star Trek starship miniatures.

Anyone else into this?

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow. Those Sideshow Anakin Vader's look awesome!

Just a heads up for Arkham Origins fans. Wave One of the line is now available to order from Big Bad Toy Store and I assume in stores soon if not now already. I'll be picking up Batman next week. Black Mask next month, and maybe even Mistah Jay too.

9. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i have some of the old MicroMachines. i think the first starship toy i owned as a kid was the diecast Enterprise D. the one that could saucer separate. i also have several of the Johnny Lightning and Hot Wheels ships.

10. cooleddie74

The Black Series 3.75" Wave 3 assortment has just hit a store in Hong Kong, meaning that American retail is probably not too far off. A bit strange considering that Wave 2 hasn't even shown up on U.S. shores yet, but we've seen back-to-back, new figure waves hit around the Thanksgiving and Christmas Holiday shopping season before.

We might get both Waves 2 and 3 in stores before Christmas, but with distribution being the way it's been for much of the past two years who knows. That Vizam skiff/Sail Barge guard looks amazing and the Darth Plagueis is going to be a hot figure like pretty much every other Expanded Universe character that's ever been released on a basic cardback.

11. OdoWanKenobi

Cool. I'm sure my LCS will be getting them soon. The pics I've seen look pretty good so far. DCC may not be entirely able to fill the DCUC shaped hole in my heart, but it's a start.

12. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Big Bad Toy Store has wave 2 of the Black Series (6-inch) in stock right now. Boba Fett is sold out, though.

Personally I'm just going to wait until they hit the local Target.

13. cooleddie74

Same here. I'm not paying inflated online prices and delivery charges when Wave 2 will hit brick-and-mortar stores soon enough. If Wave 1 is any indication there'll be one hot figure that goes fast (my guess: Slave Leia because of the all-too obvious reasons) and the rest will have mixed performances based on the store and area.

Bikini Leia and Boba will be the stars and Han and Greedo will probably be the ones that linger on shelves the most.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

My LCS gave me an update on the arrival of DC Collectibles Arkham Origins. Wave One will be in on November 6th...so I assume that means most other comic shops across North America will have already gotten them in, or will be getting them around a similar time.

15. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I know it's not an action figure, but who here remembers using Presto Magix as a kid?

16. cooleddie74

I do. I had a lot of the old Presto Magix sets when I was a little kid and they were fun.

17. Flying Spaghetti Monster

I remember it took a lot of patience to rub off the decals on the background. It was very rewarding. I liked the fact that I could buy a small set for a few dollars at the convenience store and then be busy for hours.

Too bad they don't sell them anymore!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  18. cooleddie74

I know. They definitely gave a kid some good play value.

I used to think there was a modernized version of Presto Magix (with some other brand name) being sold on the market but I never confirmed it one way or the other. The concept seems simple and cheap enough that you'd think that the toy and arts and crafts aisles would be full of sets like those.

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

If you ever find the new brand name let me know! I do know that Presto Magix ran for a while under the RoseArt banner, but the decals became removable stickers (they might even have been magnets).

I miss the old ones where you have to rub off the ships, characters, laser bolts, and explosions.

As a kid, it got my imagination stirring just as much as actually having figures. And it was so inexpensive!!

20. cooleddie74

Totally agree! The Star Wars sets in particular were some of the most fun to play around with. If I find out they're still around under a new name I'll let you and others here know!

This video is awesome and adorable!

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x9JIjTrqaU[/yt]