OT: THe Dark Knight Rises by Greg Cox

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Who claimed that?

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kirk is in Dark Knight Rises? :)

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Yes. And Bane is in Star Trek (1)2. Hardy and Pine made this bizarre pact while making This Means War.

4. Admiral_Young

Does this mean Reese Witherspoon is Sarah Essen? :)

5. Captaindemotion

^ Nah, she's Carol Marcus.

6. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

You really should read them. Denny O'Neil is pretty much THE Batman writer.

7. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Yeah, in January, 1977, I found a book on the shelf that was a space-opera of sometype. Farm kid, family died, kid teamed up with old man and spaceship pilot to rescue a princess. It was a pretty good story.

On the back cover, it said "Soon to be a major motion picture".

Not sure if that movie ever got released, though...

Last edited: Mar 20, 2012
  8. Captaindemotion

^ It tanked. You might be able to hunt it down somewhere but it'd be a hard task to find. Wouldn't bother with it, if I were you.

9. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

Actually, I understand that 1977 film is so bad that even its director considers its theatrical cut to be nothing more than a "work print."

10. Captaindemotion

^ For the win!

11. Admiral_Young

Yeah that was rather good :)

12. ClayinCA

Thank you! (I do implore you to tip your waiters.)

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just checked out the release date on B&N and apparently this coming out on July 24th, 4 days after the release of the movie. I was kinda hoping to read this... or at least some of it, before the movie. I'm guess this is probably due to spoilerphobia.

14. Admiral_Young

Greg's novelization is out today. I plan on getting it on my way to see the movie. His other DC adaptations have been excellent (as was the loan Underworld adaptation I have read so far) so I've been looking forward to this book.

15. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Out of curiosity, Greg, how much added material is there in this novelization?

For instance,
    are things like Bruce getting back into Gotham explained?
    That movie moved FAST; I wanted there to be about twice as much time in it, for all of these things to play out. (Nolan even said in an interview that he pretty much planned on cutting it so fast that no one could care about anything, relying on the score to convey the emotions. Which worked, I'm not complaining, I'm just saying... movie went QUICK.) Seemed like there would be tons of places to flesh out a novel.

16. ClayinCA

Out today?? Cool! I’ve been looking forward to this as well – Greg’s novels are always a good read, and in the case of the DC novelizations he’s done, he always manages to bring a coherency of plot and structure to stories that didn’t necessarily have those elements as strong points (how’s that for being diplomatic). I look forward to seeing what he’s able to do with what was already a pretty excellent script to begin with.

I do still wish DC would hire him to do a Flashpoint novel, though…

17. YubYubCommander

YubYubCommander Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

[SPOILER="TDKR]Nothing is explained how Bruce gets back. All that is said is that he began walking after getting out of the pit.[/SPOILER]

I have not finished the book but I plan to shortly after finishing rereading the Odd series by Dean Koontz and should have some answers if I notice anything added.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Cosmic Book News has a brief excerpt with possible spoilage about the Nolan-verse Joker...

Now that the Dent Act had made it all but impossible for the city’s criminals to cop an insanity plea, [Blackgate Prison] had replaced Arkham Asylum as a preferred location for imprisoning both convicted and suspected felons. The worst of the worst were sent here, except for the Joker, who, rumor had it, was locked away as Arkham’s sole remaining inmate. Or perhaps he had escaped. Nobody was really sure. Not even Selina.

19. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I hoped for a Joker mention in the film. When they release all the prisoners, someone could have walked up to Bane, ask him about that guy they call The Joker and Bane decides better not to unleash that monster.

20. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^That actually would have been a great character moment. It makes sense in terms of Bane's character. He wants to create chaos, to be sure--but as a means to an end, not an end in itself. His intention is to be the pupetmaster controlling and channeling the chaos. The Joker's desire for chaos as an end in itself, solely for amusement, would seriously derail Bane's plans.

After all...as the Clown Prince himself noted, he specializes in taking "plans" and turning them on themselves....

Further--

While the Joker would have applauded Bane's little "game" with the people of Gotham...he probably wouldn't have approved in the slightest of Bane's agenda of total annihilation.

"What would I do without Gotham? Or Batman, for that matter! I said, after all...that he completes me!"