Alternate history tv shows

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Jiangnan Freak, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^Ah but he was Jimmy Moriarty, uncle of the original one. We saw a still of Daniel Craig as the real Moriarty in a photo.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I heard Craig was up for the part of James Bond once. Matt Damon owns that role!!!!! Though original movie Bond, Steve McQueen is still the best Bond.

3. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

And I get that Allen's Uncle Moriarty was meant to be a semi-comical character. Maybe it's just me, but I just can't get used to Woody Allen trying to be funny.

But then, in all fairness, even though I think Allen is a technical and stylistic genius, I have to admit I'm not a big fan of his own films. They're all so unrelievedly serious! I actually prefer the films of Swedish director Ingmar Bergman, who is obviously influenced by Allen's technique and style, but whose films are much more light-hearted and comical.

4. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Agreed about McQueen as Bond. But I still sort of wish the producers had had enough money to afford their original choice, Paul Newman.

The less said about Burt Reynolds' tongue in cheek version in the 1970s and 80s, the better.

5. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Next thing you know, they'll be doing British versions of Dr. Who and Blake's 7! How they'll top Joss Whedon's original version of Blake's 7 is totally beyond me.

6. Nerys Myk

The Brits tried to do Who in the 90s. At least they cast an American as the Doctor.

Nimoy's run as the fourth Doctor will never be topped.

7. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Original wha??? Steve McQueen isn't a movie anything; he's a real-life hero. His incredible strength, speed, skill, and superhuman exploits have inspired some of us for generations. Not to mention his incredible coolness, of course.

There used to be rumors that Steve McQueen wasn't born but was so cool that he emerged fully-formed from a movie screen into the real world. But those come from the same source as all those Chuck Norris jokes. Anyway, no one jokes about President McQueen anymore, esp. after his fourth re-election last year.

Who's this James Bond guy, anyway?

8. Nerys Myk

Isn't he Green Arrow?

9. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

It's too bad Chuck Norris died so young.

Imagine if that had happened to Bruce Lee? We'd never have gotten to see Lee's Oscar winning and career changing performance as the North Vietnamese protagonist in Oliver Stone's Apocalypse Now. The look in his eyes when he called in the airstrike on Saigon as the American troops made their last stand still haunts me.

And Brandon Lee's role as Neo in The Matrix, well, that was just awesome!

10. Nerys Myk

The elder Lee had an interesting career. Played Sulu in Star Trek. Cain in Kung Fu. Then starred in Apocalypse Now, Then is almost unrecognizable as Miyagi in The Karate Kid opposite his son Brandon. Then comes back to TV to star as Captain Sulu again in The Next Generation,

11. serdogthehound

serdogthehound Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Star Trek was one of the greatest World War 2 TV series of all time, who would have thought that so many great stories could have been told about the USO ?

12. Nerys Myk

The show lasted longer than the actual War!!!!!

13. sojourner

Aaand I think this thread has now come full circle.

14. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

You "slide" through enough alternate realities, eventually you circle back to the original.

15. sojourner

Only if the damn remote works.;)