Ships of the Line 2015 Calendar

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Avro Arrow, May 7, 2014.

1. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

The Trek Collective has published images for the Ships of the Line 2015 Calendar (link).

A Vanguard image on the cover? Sweet! :techman:

I have to say, that's an impressive batch of images this year. Titan? A Romulan war image? DS9, Wolf 359 cleanup, a saucer-separated Sovereign? Looks great, and I can't wait to get my hands on it... insert appropriate Philip J. Fry gif here! ;)

(Mods: I wasn't entirely sure if this was technically "literature", so if you think it should go to a different forum, feel free to move. I checked Trek Tech, but there didn't seem to be a pre-existing thread about this there, either.)

2. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Man, I can't wait to see a high res version of that Romulan War image. I have a fondness for the Daedalus class and I really want to see that depiction in better detail.

3. Tirius

Tirius Captain Captain

Great to see so much love for TrekLit, with Titan, Vanguard (twice!) and I'm guessing Da Vinci (or at least a Saber) included.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

This might be the best calendar yet, Imho! So much TrekLit and only judicious use of the first 1701. The Columbia-class gets love twice, and we see the D4-class again. The Romulan War image looks great, too! I'm a sucker for 22nd century ship designs.

Hopefully some of these can be reused as book covers. :bolian:

Edit: I think we've got the Columbia even thrice! It's on the January cover, paired off with a Connie and two TRON'd Xindi Reptilian cruisers.

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  6. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really like the artwork for Ships of the line calendar .Especially the Enterprise Nxo1 and the Ds9 artwork.:techman:

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Now that is a really cool calendar this year! So just to recap:

January: An NX refit
    February: Xindi Reptilian ships
    March: A new 24th century design
    April: Klingon D-7
    May: A Constitution and some new design
    June: Another new design with a Vanguard style station
    Centrefold: The station from Raise the Dawn's cover
    July: Sabre class under attack
    August: Movie-era Constitution and Miranda launching a shuttle
    September: Wolf 359 salvage which Probert has often discussed
    October: DS9 surrounded by Klingon ships
    November: Daedalus class ships fighting Romulans
    December: Constitution and some other ship (NX refit?)

Am I correct with everything?

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

1. Xindi ship.
    2. Sovereign saucer separation and Argo shuttle.
    3. Unused Klingon ship from ENT.
    4. TOS Enterprise and refitted Leif Ericson-type ship.
    5. Titan and Vanguard-type station.
    6. Construction habitats for building the new DS9.
    7. A Saber-like ship (but not a Saber).
    8. The obligatory Enterprise/Reliant shot that they always seem to think these calendars need to have.
    9. Post-Wolf359 cleanup.
    10. DS9 and K'T'ingas.
    11. Updated Daedalus-style ships and updated Romulan ships presumably during the Earth-Romulan war.
    12. TOS Enterprise and NX-01 refit.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hey, at least they stopped doing the images of the Enterprise and Captain Christopher's fighter jet from Tomorrow is Yesterday.

10. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Crap

That is rather disappointing, I was really hoping that this might return bring back the calendar.

I Can I say I never, ever, want to see that stupid NX-01 refit design,ever again. It's hideous.

Does anyone hear think that the producers would have approved that to be used for the show?

Frankly I am really disappointed by the amount of Lit creations on this. I don't follow the lit books (much at all anymore) because I don't care for the changes that have been made ad even when I was being all the Lit I wouldn't want so much of the imagery from them, and so far I seriously have yet to really enjoy any of the major design work. As it has never felt like those designs would have been approved as major vessels and stations for Trek film or tv.

Well hopefully the shots in closeup are rendered and design well enough that I don't care what ships/ stations they are (which can happen, and has several times previously).

On the plus side, beaded on the rather small size here, some of the layouts of the images are solid. Hopefully renders will be strong (one of the major issues I have had with the is year after year). Some are look like they were very well rendered, others look very rushed. Hopefully that won't be a problem with this year's release.

On layout the only one I dislike is the D4 Or is it 5 I can never remember.

On the two larger images released, as much as I loath the modified NX-01, the background is quite beautiful.

The Xindi shot feels far more like art work then what you would see out a window, but that can be quite nice as well. But judging that as a piece of artwork, instead of something that was photorealistic its very nice.

So over all the first two images are pluses for me (again even if I dislike the subject matter of one) the image itself is good.

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here you go.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    I've sworn off wall calendars since I have no use for them so I won't be getting this, but I do love the artwork.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Actually, I'm surprised there's no Klingon BoP, as that's another ship that they always think we need to see.

13. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

I love it. Happy to see the Klingon ships given some love and so many Treklit images. I do wish that at least one of the NX-01 images had been pre-refit, and that the big one had been Endeavour instead of Enterprise, but it's still all beautiful.

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Are they still calling the ship for the April image the D4 class? Cause that designation is now occupied by the patrol vessel class seen in Star Trek Into Darkness http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/D4_class
    although I personally disagree that a small apparently atmospheric ship gets to be part of the "D" series.

15. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

I'd rename it D6 class to build a lineage between the D5 and D7 and fill the gap in between.

Also, the D4-class battlecruiser can easily be a different ship from the D4-class BOP. Or, the class name was simply recycled - which is the only explanation I have to Starfleet's two Intrepid-classes.

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I might have called it an E-4

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

IIRC, in The Final Reflection and the TMP blueprint pack, the "D" stands for "Drell", a Klingon serpent from which the basic shape of their ships is derived. Although the Klingon Fighter in ID lacked the distinctive neck and head and had a rather insectoid rear, I think it's close enough to fit into that classification (especially since we've never actually seen the Drell which all the ships are meant to resemble!)

I'll pass on the calendar. I'll just change my wallpaper to some fantastic free fan art. Why do these calendars repeatedly go back to a Klingon ship design deemed not good enough for TV? It's not bad by any means, but I'm quite bored of it now.

18. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Actually this D4 class battle cruiser design was created after the last-minute reuse of the D7 model in ENT but never made it into any episodes.

19. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always assumed that the Klingon ship designs are based on the Imperial trefoil. I mean, they have three points arranged triangularly, the foremost being the longest.

All the Trek cultures have ships shaped like their insignia - the Romulans and Cardassians, obviously, the Ferengi Marauder has the "clawed dog-eat-dog" appearance of the Alliance logo, the Vulcans have ships that feature a triangular point piercing a circle, even the Federation has a circle with two stalks.

20. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, it always kind of bugged me that the D7s were used in both ENT and TNG (although I suppose the TNGs were actually K'Tinga class, since they were usually a reuse of the footage from TMP). The idea that the Klingons used the same design for 200 years is a bit too much imho. I get the "if it's not broke don't fix it" mentality, and it's certainly worked fine for Soyuz, but part of the fun is seeing how the Klingons ships have changed over the years... which is why I was thrilled when the Vor'cha class was introduced. So this variation on the Klingon ships as an earlier ENT era version works for me.

And despite my complaint, the D7/K'tinga design is one of my favorite ship designs.