NEW ONGOING STAR TREK SERIES FROM IDW!!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Trek Survivor, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Julio Angel Ortiz

Julio Angel Ortiz Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I want those 4 canceled novels. If IDW is able to tell stories in between the nuTrek movies, so should Pocket. Otherwise I call BS.

And I'll give this a pass until the first trade paperback and hear the reviews. I haven't been real high on some of IDW's previous Trek releases.

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

do you think they will use photo covers as well as art covers ?

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just saw this and was fascinated. I will have to check these out when they come out.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'll definitely be keeping an eye on these. Not sure yet if I'm going to get them, but I'm definitely intrigued. I actually kinda like the idea of them putting a new twist on the episodes, I think it could be fun to see what they come up with.

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

That's why this is happening in a comic book, for the die-hardiest of die hards, the minority of minorities, to see. If they were doing it in one of the films, I'd agree with you, but this medium seems more appropriate to that kind of fun.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah. Disappointed. Again.:sigh:

7. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

completely agree with this point.

8. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

IDW is doing photo covers as 1-for-40 variant covers for the first issue.

9. bfollowell

bfollowell Captain Captain

If they follow their established pattern, they'll have photo covers and painted covers and penciled covers and...

...and about fourteen different options per issue to try and drive up sales to the collectors that will always buy every single version.

- Byron

10. Scrambo

Scrambo Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

being a tos fan i would be interested to see how they manage to recreate the series and have kind of wondered how "changing" the timeline would affect the episodes considering they didnt involve gary mitchell in the film. On the other hand the whole changing the timeline thing was meant to mean they could create a whole universe to create new adventures not recreate old ones.

Still as i mentioned it would be interesting to see how they recreate those classic adventures.

11. mmtz

mmtz Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

7 covers announced so far:

Star Trek #1 (Cover A Tim Bradstreet)
    Star Trek #1 (Cover B David Messina)
    Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover A)
    Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover B)
    Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover C)
    Star Trek #1 (Photo Variant Cover D)
    Star Trek #1 (Roberto Orci and Mike Johnson Signed Edition)

also solicited is a Star Trek Movie Universe Box Set, a slipcased set of trade paperbacks: Countdown, Nero, Movie Adaptation

12. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

Ongoing monthly set in the Abramsverse from IDW -- Thumbs up!
    Ongoing monthly "re-imagining" stories from TOS in the new reality -- Thumbs down!

We're 8 years earlier in the timeline than we were in the first season of TOS. So what, they just happen to run into this stuff in the same sequence 8 years earlier, in a different timeline? Seems a bit too convenient.

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

You could say that about Star Trek XI. But if the comics follow the idea that it's an alternate universe where similar things happened differently or at a different time than in the prime universe, then there really isn't a problem.

14. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I really torn on this. On one hand, an on-going is the one thing I've wanted from IDW from the start. On the other hand, I'm rather ambivelent about the JJ-verse in general. Truthfully, I'd rather see the quartet of shelved novels.

15. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

in a way, i can see why they went this route. If they did new stories, we'd be griping about everything having to be undone once the new movie hit. Similar to what happened to the old DC comics Star Trek series. They did tell new stories but then had to line the series back up with the latest movie coming out, which i remember people whining about.
    This way, they can tell old stories but in a new way, without stepping on the toes of the next movie, especially with Orci there to help guide the book.

16. Darth Duck

Darth Duck Commodore Commodore

There will be new stories. There will also be re-imaginings. Though I'm interested in how they'll tackle stories like Journey to Babel and Amok Time

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loved it when the comics tried to "re-allign" themselves with the movie series. When I was reading through DC comics' first series (many years later) I not only loved the directions they were going in, but couldn't wait to see how they reconcilled themselves with the movie series. I was hoping for something similar here.

IIRC, those old comics said their post-STIII plotlines (Kirk on Excelsior, Spock on the Surak) were discussed with and okayed by by Harve Bennett.

18. MatthiasRussell

MatthiasRussell Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The classic stories were already well done, they don't need to be revisited. Why should we expect Kirk and Spock to handle TOS situations differently. I have no intention of buying these comics; i'll stick with the prime universe stuff.

Why can't we get Titan or Vanguard comics?

19. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because they don't want to have to stay consistant with the books? I could see trying to keep books and comics consistent with each other on a regular basis would be an incredible pain in the ass.

20. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I may have to get cover A - D if there different crew members. I like jj universe I picked up the starship toy this week at toy's R us it was half off very cool. all so tryin to find all action figures as well. I so hope the success of this comic so they will do the book series. and then there is the starfleet academy series which is surprisingly good.