7-9-13

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by trekkiedane, Sep 7, 2013.

1. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

is 13 a lucky number in your country, TD? In most countries it counts as an unlucky one.
    Reason: 1 messiah + 12 apostles = 13 of which one was a traitor, hence a dinner or meeting with 13 people at a table is considered to be potentially fatal; see also: Agatha Christie: 13 At Dinner [aka: Lord Edgeware Dies]

Over here most people marry on 07.07. as 7 is a lucky number. Others, like my brother, who are too lazy to remember dates marry on Valentine's Day.
    As I was born in April and have my patron saints day in October (that's like a 2nd birthday in catholic areas, with presents and cake and all =) ), I'd prefer to marry in mid-July to keep the festivities evenly distributed :D

2. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Indeed, in Christian mythology the number 13 has become one of ill omen But then, Christianity is a new-fangled thing anyway...

There's an old saying, something like: "Neither 7 nor 9" - 7 is by tradition, a you say, a lucky number and 9 was considered unlucky -it is possible that the expression "7 9 13" might have come from this.

ETA: Fourth wedding of the day taking place in the church across the street from me right now!

3. rhubarbodendron

indeed. Thor propably laughed till he dropped his hammer, 2 milennia ago. (Yet, the global warming, air pollution, ash-dieback and acid rain might pose an actual threat to Yggdrasil while crucifixes, like other torture tools, are sturdy enough to overcome climatical inconvceniences.)

4. trekkiedane

Hmmm, I think I see where you are going with this; a religion created by desert-folk is much more appropriate for an ever heating world than one created by people in the cold north... along the line of future travel ads; "Come to sunny Norway... :p

5. rhubarbodendron

yes. No more sacred hazelnut groves or holy oaks. And practically every sacred spring is nowadays used as cooling water for some nuclear power plant or car factory :(
    Maybe we should sacrifice a few politicians to Cernunnos and Borvo? And to whichever gods might be the northern equivalents to these celtic deities.

6. trekkiedane

Frej and/or Njord perhaps...

But as politicians are -almost by definition- interchangeable, I don't think any deity would be the least impressed if we started killing those.

7. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

You don't know the awesomeness that is Kerr Avon?

Tsk. Hand in your geek card, please. I'd like to check your credentials. :vulcan:

He is a character from Blake's 7, the best early 80s British sci fi series that a 50-pound-an-episode budget could buy. Avon is one of the most interesting characters in sci fi tv that I've ever encountered.

8. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i fancied a change from bearded janeway and avon is the awesomeness ;)

9. VXX

VXX Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was at 2 funerals today. no weddings that I know of.

10. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

That show is on my list!

:: snatches back card ::

12. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

8/9/13 would have been a much better day for this. :vulcan: :vulcan: :vulcan:

13. Jim Gamma

Jim Gamma This space left blank intentionally. Rear Admiral

Nine isn't prime. It's the square of three.

(EDIT: Must read whole thread before posting. This has already been pointed out. Sorry!)

14. trekkiedane

^Brainfart on my part I'm afraid.

15. rhubarbodendron

^we're none of us getting any younger :)
    Good point. It'd be like sacrifizing cockroaches and leeches. But I'd not be willing to give up someone I really like for any deity humans ever invented. I think the Klingons were wise to kill all their gods. Saved them a lot of trouble.

I expect quite a lot of people will marry tomorrow. 09.09. is a date you can easily memorize and you needn't mind which way round it's written abroad.

16. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

No, but many people are getting married on 11-12-13 this year. I guess you can read that as November 12th or December 11th, either way it works. Here it is November 12th.

17. trekkiedane

I remember a similar -if magnified by culture- cluster of marriages happening on 8-8-88. Eight is an important number in Chinese culture.

What can I say more... Live Long and 8... [​IMG]

18. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Yes but in virtually the rest of the world it's the 11th of December. The US is one of the few countries to use the format mm-dd-yy, Most use dd-mm-yy.

19. farmkid

farmkid Commodore Commodore

13 being unlucky goes back much further than that. In fact, the Code of Hammurabi has law #12 followed by law #14. Apparently it's been considered unlucky since long before the Last Supper.

20. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Go home, trekkiedane. You are drunk. :p