Superman: The Reboot --- Its official

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Aug 22, 2008.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Re: Superman: The Reboot --- Its offcial

And again. Lapis hit the nail on the head. TDK was successful because it was true to Batman. I don't care if Warner says that they'll only go as dark as each character allows--in taking from TDK's success that all future movies must be dark, they've demonstrated how clueless they are.

I'm fine with a reboot, if that's how they want to do it--but it's already off to a bad start with this "dark" shit. It won't be a definitive Superman film...it'll be Superman trying to imitate Batman--the disaster that we narrowly averted with Burton all over again.

Wasn't there supposed to be a Shazam! movie in the works? Is that still on?

2. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

Billy Batson and the Legend of Shazam is still in development as far as I know.

3. Supervisor 194

Supervisor 194 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Calling Nick Cage, calling Nick Cage...

And if he's not available, Sean Penn and his 'dark, murderous' take on the character will be sure to please. :)

Seriously, the thing I'm most afraid of is that the execs are looking at SR as already giving the fans a 'traditional Superman', and since that didn't do quite the expected box office they'll move away from all the things that make Superman...well, Superman.

WB execs are not going to be versed in the mostly subtle changes from one version of Superman to another (say, John Byrne to George Reeeves to Geoff Johns to Richard Donner, etc). The corporate mentality in things of this nature is to try to replicate "what works"--in this case it'll be the Dark Knight--so say hello to dark brooding Superman.

4. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

Crikey, imagine if they wanted to make that dark? Why not just rape the easter bunny?

5. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Or, alternately:

[​IMG]

6. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Hence the importance of not dismissing the qualifier in Robonov's sentence. I think people are fretting way too much - especially at this early stage. Warners is looking to make a lot more DC superhero films - something a lot of people have been dreaming about and begging for; now they're on the threshold of doing just that and folks are fixating on what was a very cursory comment and letting their imaginations run to the worst possible conclusions.

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, it must suck to be Brandon Routh right now.

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

*shudders*

9. The Old Mixer

It's official--WB is clueless. They fell ass-backwards into a phenomenonally successful film and they have no idea how to do it again.

10. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's not hopeless yet. They're supposed to be discussing superhero movie issues more closely with DC people (including writers, hopefully). Maybe WB will actually get some good advice and heed it.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117990659.html?categoryid=1019&cs=1

11. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Your avatar suggests you have more faith in them than that.

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm happy about the reboot, but I shudder at the idea of exploring the 'evil' side of all the DC heroes.

I think that's a dumb idea. Just be true to each character as others have already said. Having flaws is not the same as being dark.

Batman's a darker character and Nolan was being more true to that than Schumaker that's what made his two films a success in large part. Why can't the suits see that?

I can see them going overboard and totally turning off fans and casual moviegoers with a parade of TDK clones.

13. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I would say that Iron Man is probably a more practical model for most of these properties, given the popularity differential between Batman and most other DC characters, and Iron Man wasn't anywhere near as dark as The Dark Knight.

14. The Old Mixer

I have faith in the guys making Watchmen, which would be too far along for WB to fuck up with their directive, if that were an issue--which it isn't, because Watchmen is supposed to be dark. And now if it's successful, it will only serve to reinforce WB's inane direction. (And we'll probably get more sculpted rubber suits, to boot!)

If they want to explore the dark side of the DC pantheon, they should just do a Kingdom Come movie, but they're too clueless to know that.

15. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Warners hired those guys to make Watchmen and approved their approach. Credit where it's due. And really this much sturm und drang over the "dark" comments seems like a gross overreaction. It wasn't an in-depth interview, just a few short comments, and these films will go through a whole long process where execs, producers, directors and writers will contribute to the discussion of the exact tone each project should have.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

It's hard to believe that even Jon Peters said that all the failed attempts didn't have the heart that Superman Returns had.

I mean cmon life suit superman, FBI agent Luthor whose actually a Kryptonian.

17. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked Returns, I didn't think it was great but I was eager to see where Singer went next with his Wrath of Khan sequel. I already thought Returns had moody tones. Superman didn't even smile at the end of the movie. I hope Routh comes back at least, and Spacy.

No origin story though. Donner did that best and origin stories have already been done many times between the animation and TV series. I don't want 40 minutes of the movie to be origin.

18. The Old Mixer

And they've had how many commercially and creatively successful super-hero films in a decade or so prior to TDK...? Everyone was already saying that WB had no clue what to do with their super-hero properties...the new directive just clinches it. Once in awhile, somebody's going to slip past these jokers and actually make a decent movie...I hope Watchmen is one of them. If WB doesn't manage to screw it up, it won't have been for lack of trying.

19. Galactus

Galactus Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

When will everyone get that not everyone knows or cares about the long history of Superman? Anybody that reads comics should be used to infinite versions of Superman, Batman and all the other characters. An origin story is the key to the superhero formula, as ever single wildly successful super hero franchise has done. SR broke that tread and crashed for it. When you sit down and think about the actual target demo for going to the movies, they most were not even born when Superman the Movie came out, were kids when Lois and Clark was on, and probably didn't watch STAS or JL, and based on ratings probably aren't watching Smallville either.

So I just hope DC really does just start over from scratch with Batman as their beginning. I also hope that they update everyones costume ala Batman and make it make sense and be realistic, beginning with Supes and especially for Wonder Woman.

So Marvel is never giving going to let DC use Captain Marvel again huh. It is a shame since that have squandered the name and their Captain Marvel is forgettable to say the least.

20. ancient

ancient Vice Admiral Admiral

My thoughts were always that this might happen, and that it wasn't necessarily a bad thing.

I wouldn't mind a superman that doesn't look like the Donner version, as long as it was faithful to at least some part of the comic version and was still unmistakably Supes.

I think they could stand to make Supes briefs into shorts and loose some of the bright yellow costume bits, more like how he was drawn in NF, for example.

As for his origin, it's been a looooooong time since we've seen that at the movies and younger audiences could use a new version. I really like the version seen in the animated "The Last Son of Krypton". If the origin story tied directly into a villain, as Braniac did for that story, it would be a good excuse to show his origin.