Patrick Stewart said he'd play Picard again

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by EnriqueH, Jan 24, 2015.

1. EnriqueH

EnriqueH Commodore Commodore

IMDB has a link to the article(s). Sorry, computer is bugging out at the moment and I'm having trouble switching windows to get the exact link.

2. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I'm pretty sure a 24th century nuPicard would bear little resemblance to prime Picard. That is, if he even exists in the first place.

4. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Could also be grandfather Picard (like Worf) or Picard Prime (flashback)

5. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Why not post this in the TNG forum? I mean, it's great that Stewart still likes the role enough to say he'd play it again, but Picard's got nothing to do with the movies under discussion in this forum - it's a different century, different crew, different timeline.

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ugh, I just wanted a 5 second cameo of the Enterprise-E when Spock Prime showed nuKirk the fate of Romulus. Is that too much to ask? (Yes. Yes it is.)

7. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well if he did play Picard again presumably it'd be in this movie series. Maybe it'd belong better in Future of Trek but it doesn't seem as active. Then there are threads talking about Trek's general future and cameos here as well. And the article itself poses the far fetched question of him being in Star Trek 3.

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

What, the comic book tie-ins weren't good enough for you?:p

9. Cyke101

Actually, it's *because* of the comic book that I wanted to see a cameo :)

10. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

However, while he said the TNG cast would consider it... in the S7 Blu ray doc I saw, he also said playing Picard again would be unnecessary and that Star Trek has moved on.

It depends who he's talking to, since it's only speculative and fun copy for a journalist. There was more frankness to his interviews with the team producing those Blu ray extras. If the day arrived and he was asked, it comes down to whether the story idea justifies his involvement I suppose.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  11. EnriqueH

What Makarov said.

There are no TNG shows or movies in development; there are no Star Trek TV shows in developememt, but there's certainly a STXI+ movie in development, so it was logical for me to place the post here. After all, TNG has been over for more than 25 years. If Stewart were to play Picard again, presumably it would be in a future movie since movies is all Trek has at the moment.

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Stewart's quote:

Sounds more like he's saying "I'm available if they want me," which is what almost any actor would do.

13. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

I doubt we'll be seeing Picard on screen again, unless it's a TV commercial selling Trek wares.

14. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

The article itself raises first the question of Picard appearing in a future movie, which Stewart himself downplays with the remarks about "getting old and long in the tooth" and needing "some help mounting his horse". It's clear that he doesn't seriously believe it would actually happen. It was just a side question which came during a Facebook Q&A session promoting a new Stewart movie release.

Later in the linked article, the writer answers the question himself:
    (Read as: There isn't the slightest chance of that ever happening) and then goes on to say...
    At this point, and in the context of these movies, there's really nothing more to discuss. The Picard character has already made his one appearance in the Countdown tie-in comic, and he's finished; a future movie appearance featuring Stewart as Picard is even less likely than was the remote possibility of Frakes being offered the director's chair vacated by Orci. While someone could start that suggested petition—a futile gesture, though at least something to do—it, too, would belong someplace other than in this forum.

15. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

All it takes is the writers to think of something and a boatload of cash and then you've got Stewart in nuTrek. They did it with Nimoy which it seems a lot of people here thought was ridiculous but I thought was awesome. Like it or not they did consciously keep a link to the TNG era Trek by using time travel rather than saying it's a complete reboot. They've brought that up in both movies so far instead of just moving on so who knows.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless he didn't play *the* Picard...just *a* Picard.

Meaning, whichever Picard ancestor is alive as of 2261 or whenever the next film is set.

IIRC, Jean-Luc once said that he was the first Picard to leave the solar system - even if they kept to this, which they of course wouldn't have to because of the timeline divergence, there's still lots of options. AbramsPicard could be a high level government official on Earth or Mars or even a senior admiral at Starfleet Command.

17. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Star Trek 3: The Search for Spock Prime (aka Shawn of the Borg)

Synopsis:
    Although 24th century Spock is presumed dead from his encounter with Nero and the black hole, Ambassador Picard (through his mind meld link) refuses to believe it. After consulting Guinan, who tells him things generally "feel wrong," he decides to call in an old favour from Admiral Riker and commandeer the Enterprise-E. Based on Guinan's advice and Data's computations, they plunge into the ol' black hole. In the 23rd C., a "lightening storm in space" appears in front of the nuEnterprise, followed by a massive 50th anniversary fangasm. Unfortunately, the Borg have followed them through. After Scotty and Geordi confer, they decide the only way to fix the timeline and defeat the Borg is to visit every pub in the galaxy (in one of them, they find Prime Spock having a pint with Prime Kirk, who it turns out faked his death).

18. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

I would assume that Picard would appear in the only timeline that counts - Prime. If there will never be another TNG film, or a film that includes TNG in some way, Picard has no chance of reappearing.

About comic books, I don't read them, I don't care about them, and I'm not at all aware of any of the storylines from any of the publishers. I only know they are generating a lot of revenue for Marvel because of their adaptations into live action films and a masterful, long term film plan that keeps their fans interested with promise of continuity. Disney is wise to emulate that for Star Wars. Even if comic books are considered canon, I totally disregard it. They are a different medium and a different reality than live action. Movies will do what they want when they want to do it.

19. Cyke101

I'd love it if we saw a scene of, oh say, Pine and Quinto talking in the lobby of Starfleet Command, and while the camera's focused on them, behind them there would be a small white flash in the distant back left corner of the room. Stewart and de Lancie materialize from afar. Pine and Quinto wouldn't notice and keep talking, but you could just barely see Stewart looking around in a mix of frantic anger and confusion, and then kind of hear Stewart yell, "WHAT DID YOU DO THIS TIME, Q?!", to which he'd respond, "Oh Jean-Luc, what didn't I do?" Then he snaps his fingers and they disappear in a tiny flash again, with nuKirk and nuSpock none the wiser as the movie goes on.

20. EnriqueH

It's ironic that the only evidence of TNG in nuTrek is Ambassador Spock, which was originally a TOS link in TNG.