Ongoing Community Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Admiral_Young, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ How often do you watch? There are references like that from all kinds of different pop culture oriented shows and movies practically every episode.

2. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

After the episode last season where Abed participated in the background pregnancy story, I assume there are alwats hidden jokes that I missed. Community - a show that really does force you to go back and rewatch the episodes.

3. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I get that, but it still makes you wonder. And I'm not gonna go online to check every episode.

4. Admiral_Young

It doesn't make me wonder since I've watched every episode...and if you're not a fan then yeah you're not gonna watch every episode. I was answering your question.

5. nevermore

nevermore Admiral Admiral

I watch every episode, but I don't stare at the background while I'm doing it...

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I'm a fan and I've seen every episode, but I usually miss background stuff like that and have to be told about it after the fact.

7. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't see anyone could possibly pick up on every joke like this unless they have some sort of advanced perceptual awareness that most people don't have. I didn't even notice the Abed/baby gag until I read n interview with Dan Harmon where he pointed it out. I had no idea what Abed was talking about in the episode where Shirley's baby was born.

8. Admiral_Young

Oh I have no doubt people miss jokes...perhaps it is the way IndyJones phrased the question or how I misunderstood it then. There is stuff that I miss too...or don't get. I was thinking he missed it due to not watching the series on a regular basis.

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

In the context of the post he was replying to, IndyJones was clearly referring to events that occur only in the background, rather than jokes as part of the forefront plot(s) of each episode.

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I often miss those background jokes, but I love it when someone points them out to me later on. No need to fret over it when I'm watching, but an added bonus when I hear about them later on.

11. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not sure how you can miss sight gags like that. They're not THAT subtle.

12. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Annie wears these tight sweaters.

Tunnel vision.

Boobie vision.

13. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was looking at Annie and utterly ignoring the background.

14. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It also didn't help that I missed the first season and didn't think to mark each time they said "Beetlejuice."

15. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Amazon has season 1 for $12.49 and season 2 for $14.

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Now that I think of it, wasn't the Abed/baby gag in the background while Annie and Britta were wrestling in oil? Perhaps these gags are the show's version of those Gay Test images.

17. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

They're quite easy to miss if you aren't concentrating only on the show to the exclusion of everything else in your life.

Moment of geek: Watch this sort video.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vJG698U2Mvo&feature=player_embedded[/yt]

There's a well-known phenomenon called Inattentional Blindness, which observes that people often fail to notice fully visible, but often unexpected, visual cues due to an excess of stimuli or rapt attention on a specific stimulus.

About half of viewers will miss the man in the gorilla suit entirely; not because they are inattentive, but rather because they are better at excluding what their brain perceives to be unwanted stimuli.

I originally saw the video in a group of 150 people, and the result was quite striking.

Beyond that, a viewer can be doing any number of things while the show is on that may distract them from small gags like this one. It doesn't make one less of a fan, just human.

18. Admiral_Young

So when does the extended hiatus start? I noticed there was no episode on American Thanksgiving. I assume it begins next month?

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Gillian was on The Soup last night.

"It's your fault Joel! Why didn't you tell anyone!!??"

Then he said something about how after Community was cancelled by NBC, he prayed to god that E! didn't pick up the rights from Dan Harmon.

what's the worlds longest running sitcom?

http://itthing.com/10-longest-running-tv-sitcoms-of-all-time

or

http://homepage.smc.edu/nestler_andrew/sitcoms.htm

Technically a comedy Red Dwarf has been around longer than the Simpsons, but it's made SIGNIFICANTLY less episodes, but then My Three Sons is technically a comedy despite it not being funny.

20. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

don't forget we got a new episode tonight.