Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BillJ, Jun 6, 2014.

1. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

I could go with your edit, but I didn't really have a problem with the scream because I saw it as Spock finally giving in to the emotion and lashing out like a primal scream (his mom, his planet, and now the person Spock Prime told him would be an important part of his life, and with whom he'd do great things, is struck down prematurely). So in context, it worked for me. But it's fair to say it suffered (and maybe was cheapened) a bit for some by being identified with the Kirk scream, especially since that scream has become something of a joke over time.

Also, remember, at the time Spock didn't know if Khan was alive or dead. That is, he didn't know there was an ass to whip, yet.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Scenes like that are legion in movies. Police stakeouts, soldiers on transports on their way to or from battle, people at business meetings, in scenes of diplomacy. They're not always a "relationship moment", but they are subjects that one would consider unlikely or inappropriate based on the larger premise of the scene in question. I guess Trek is special in that it's supposed to rise above such things? Please. :rolleyes:

You know when such "inappropriate" moments also happen? In real life. I've seen (or participated) in a few during meetings that were supposed to be "all business". One of my best friends spent 10 years in the military and has told me more than one story that mirrors that scene--and they took place "in transit" before deploying on dangerous assignments. I've witnessed such moments at funerals.

The fact the discussion is "inappropriate" to the circumstances is not a mistake--it's the main point. Such moments occur in "inappropriate" times and places rather routinely. The difference is, in real life, the dialogue is rarely as clever.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why are you quoting me Ovation? I never said it was inappropriate, I was saying what I liked about the scene.

4. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Good points. These "inappropriate" moments often occur in moments of stress, when emotions and senses are heightened, and people are uncomfortable or on edge.

It just occurred to me, think of poor Cupcake and the other guy having to listen to all that. Think they felt uncomfortable and a bit embarrassed about it? That's part of it, too. When something like that breaks out, the primaries involved don't give a rat's ass who hears it. That's real life.

Edited to add: since I used your quote, too, teacake, I thought I'd let you know that as I read it, I did figure you liked the scene. You point out Kirk was in the middle of it, he couldn't stop it, so he finally thought, "what the hell," and he gives his two cents worth as long as everyone's opening up. I liked that, too.

5. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Oh, I know. That's what I love about it.
    Kirk can't stay quiet for long, it's just not in him. :lol:

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Hats off to everyone (pro or con) for keeping this thread civil so far! :techman:

7. Amaris

Amaris Guest

Are you saying something bad about hats? What is it about hats that you don't want them on our heads? I can't believe you'd be so shallow as to mock people for their headwear?!

I can't take this baseless bigotry anymore!

[/slams door]

8. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can see that, but the collapse would have let the intensity build to the violent release when Spock caught up with Khan.

Holding all of that back, waiting for the fight, would have been a much bigger payoff.

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I was agreeing with you and J. Allen. Just adding my observation that I find complaints about the scene as being "inappropriate" were off the mark. I guess I wasn't as clear as I wanted to be (a bit of that going around this week--hazards of typing while coping with an 8 year old boy). Sorry for the confusion.

10. Pasi Nurminen

Pasi Nurminen Lieutenant Commander

This is a discussion forum meant for the exchange of ideas. If you do not want an exchange of ideas, do not start threads or make posts on this forum.

I guess the principle problem is that TOS, for all its camp and ham, at least endeavoured to have something to say about the world, and it was as much about exploring the human condition as it was about space adventure. JJ Abrams, on the other hand, has nothing to say about the world, and restricts himself to mindless action. TOS was cerebral, at least compared to what JJ Abrams has served.

11. BillJ

You keep telling yourself that. I was four-years old when I started watching TOS and had no issues following it.

"They are having a positive discussion, let me come in and take a shit." I'll never understand the mindset.

12. Pasi Nurminen

I think you need to calm down. Not everyone who expresses a viewpoint that is different from yours is trying to "take a shit" on the discussion.

13. BillJ

When one is talking down to people...

...they tend to get that reaction from me.

There's thirty other threads about Star Trek Into Darkness for people to talk down to others in.

14. Pasi Nurminen

I wasn't talking down to anyone, I was expressing an opinion. If you wanted your thread to consist entirely of people lavishing their praise on your beloved movie, then you should have made that clear in the original post. In fact, if you want to avoid encountering dissenting opinions that might "take a shit" on the discussion, then I suggest you avoid the internet entirely.

15. BillJ

"A thread titled "Twelve Reasons I Love Star Trek Into Darkness"? Obviously, I need to go in and tell everyone that I hate it for the umpteenth time. Just in case someone forgot I hated it!" :rolleyes:

It's like a fucking compulsion for some people.

Sometimes it is simply nice to have a positive thread.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The thread title and OP are pretty clear. As BillJ mentioned, there are plenty of other threads to be negative about the film.

STID did have "something to say about the world". It touched on family, loyalty, duty, ideals and friendship. It also touch on the topics of terrorism, government secrecy and political manipulation.

17. Pasi Nurminen

Agreed, I will credit Into Darkness for at least trying to have a message, where Star Trek 2009 didn't even try and was content to be a mindless action-adventure flick. I maintain, though, that its message was lost amidst incessant and overblown action sequences and generally poor storytelling and scriptwriting.

18. BillJ

I guess it doesn't count unless it is a long-winded speech by Picard about how it is best to allow a primitive society to perish?

19. BillJ

Obviously not, since it doesn't seem like too many people had an issue picking up on it.

20. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I managed to catch it with out any problems.

ST09 was about one's "first, best destiny" and about finding one's place in the world.