STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't help it, it comes naturally. :lol:

Indeed they do, and I'm always in the mood to watch either of them.

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I watched it again last night

:techman::techman:

3. RogueVasad

RogueVasad Lieutenant Red Shirt

F. F- if possible. It is my least favorite Star Trek movie of all time.

Kirk is back to acting like either a stereotypical high school jock or every bad Kirk parody ever made when the movie starts. Spock also shows signs of pride that don't fit the character like his "Now that I'm back we don't need you attitude to Carol Marcus. Logically wouldn't having an extra skilled science officer be considered a good thing?

The space combat continues the routine of the Enterprise either getting disabled in one or two salvos and deploying a landing party to sabotage the enemy ship, or the Enterprise deploying the Saboteur team and only joining the fight after or at least as their team is in the midst of crippling it. Where did the writers get the idea that every villain needed a supership?

Don't even get me started on the absurdity of Khan's blood being able to revive the dead.

Edit: Oh another thing if I remember correctly the movie mentions the Enterprise passing through the Klingon Neutral Zone. How was the Klingon Neutral Zone formed early in this timeline? In the Original universe the Klingon Neutral Zone was formed as part of the Organian imposed peace treaty years after the movie so where did the one in the movie come from?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Why not? Blood therapy is a real thing. Khan's blood already cured the little girl and revived the tribble. Plus it's not like Kirk had been dead for days or even hours.

5. RogueVasad

Khan's blood treating the little girl in the hospital I have no problem with. Khan's blood reviving a dead tribble on the other hand or being a cure for fatal radiation poisoning on the other hand is crazy. Even more so because he showed absolutely no sign of such abilities in Space Seed or the Wrath of Khan and since the split between the timelines occurred long after his creation his basic abilities should be identical. If Khan's blood could revive the dead why didn't he use it to save his wife in the original timeline?

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Curing a disease is one thing, bringing a corpse back to life is another. Especially Kirk, who was destroyed by radiation. A dose massive enough to kill him in minutes.

Either way, not a fan of the Magic Blood™ storyline. :)

7. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Equipment. Khan in ID is much more familiar with Starfleet equipment that TWOK Khan would be. His ability to heal and resilience to injury are actually a part of Space Seed dialog. Now include Section 31 resources to determine to what extent his abilities can be used and we see a different side of it. His wife died far away from any facility or equipment Khan used in ID to cure the little girl.

Also, curing radiation poisoning of Kirk is no less far fetched to me than Crusher inoculating everyone against radiation poisoning in First Contact.

8. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You never know? Those inoculations may have evolved from blood samples McCoy probably took from Khan in "Space Seed". :techman:

9. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

:techman::techman::techman:

What a great Trek rationalization. I like it.

10. fireproof78

A fair point, and definitely connects it all together :cool:

11. RogueVasad

I think boosting the Immune system and other systems to resist damage or at least ignore the symptoms makes more sense then it magically undoing the damage.

12. BillJ

But it is a sci-fi movie. Sci-fi movies are suppose to be fun and do things that can't be done in other types of storytelling. Like faster than light travel, inter-species mating and machines that can disintegrate you and put you back together again.

So we got 'magic blood'. It works within the context of the film and greater Star Trek universe for me, so I go with it.

I've had a blast every single time I've watched the Abrams films.

13. JWPlatt

JWPlatt Commodore Commodore

Magical red stuff seems to be a theme in these films. What's next?

14. fireproof78

That was Abrams.

With Lin, who knows? ;)

Also, considering the blood therapies that are being researched and actively used, "magic blood" (:rolleyes:) is closer to science than light speed travel and transporters.

Why is one acceptable and one is not? Is it too many magic beans? :shrug:

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Are they using blood to bring corpses back to life? Zombie apocalypse incoming! :)

16. RogueVasad

To me the blood looks like a cheap cop out they tried to do their own variant on the Death scene at the end of The Wrath of Khan, decided rather then leave us wondering if this was really the end of Kirk they wanted to revive him by movie's end but then realized they had no Genesis wave to revive him so they were left scrambling for a way to bring him back.

17. BillJ

Some things work for some people and not for others. As long as TPTB give me entertaining films, I'll be happy.

18. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am dropping in on p. 265 here. I apologize if this has been said. But, I viewed TWOK in the theaters and we didn't know there was going to be a III. Spock was dead. Rumors were that Nimoy was done.

In STID there is no real drama or grief, A) b/c I hadn't known this Kirk for years and now truly missed him; and B) they had telegraphed (Chekov's-gunned?) the use of magic blood earlier in the film. And we knew Chris Pine was signed for three flicks.

YMMV

19. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Fair points. However, I don't think Kirk's death was intended to produce a sense of suspense (is he really gone? etc.). I sincerely doubt any of the filmmakers had that notion in mind. Rather, it was intended to show Kirk was willing to sacrifice himself for the greater good (in-character and in-story, Kirk has NO WAY of knowing he can or will be revived), a clear sign of his maturation as a character. Whether that worked for any one viewer in particular is a separate issue. But I don't think anyone can reasonably argue otherwise regarding the intent of having Kirk die at that moment in the film. His choice was a test of character (his own version of the Kobayashi Maru, if you will). For me, it worked as intended. YMMV

20. fireproof78

What? You didn't know? I see "Zombie Outbreak Response Vehicles" all over the place.

Indeed. Kirk's behavior and choice, not whether or not he survived, is the point of scene and character's arc. I'll completely grant that I find this Kirk as interesting and engaging as Prime Kirk and want to see him continue to grow.

The death scene made have been telegraphed, but so what? The whole point of a Chekov's gun is to provide a measure of foreshadowing in the film that indicates to the audience the theme of the film.

As Ovation pointed out, in the film, Kirk had no way of knowing he was going to survive, and decided to it any way. He charged in, fixed the problem and sacrificed himself for his crew. Rather than cheating death, he embraced it.