SUPERMAN(2012) Inspired By Secret Origin?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Dec 22, 2010.

1. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Superman Inspired by Geoff Johns' Superman: Secret Origin

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEfqueUHadC0ii#

Interesting...if true.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it's about time we got a cinematic interpretation of Superman that was influenced by something post-Crisis.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

If this is true then I'm all for it. It also means that Geoff Johns will be responsible for the source material for both of DC's upcoming motion pictures which is fine by me as well. I find this interesting that Goyer wrote the forward for "Superman:Secret Origin" praising Geoff because in the recently re-released "Green Lantern:Secret Origin" Ryan Reynolds wrote the forward there and talked about how that book served as the 'bible' for him for all things Hal Jordan. So maybe this is a hint of the plot.

4. C_Miller

C_Miller Captain Captain

The one problem is that Geoff John's work is heavily influenced by Pre-Crisis. In fact, it can be argued that a lot of his work is designed to create a resurgence of the Silver Age.

5. Admiral_Young

^ This is true to a degree. Johns work is inspired by the Silver Age (a good example is that he brought back the Silver Age version of the Legion of Superheroes and updated them) but I don't think that Goyer would write a silver age movie script. It's interesting to note that Goyer didn't realize how lonely Clark was growing up. Clark really had no friends except for Pete and Lana. It wasn't until the day three heroes from the future appeared in front of a tree that he no longer felt alone. As a Legion fan I'm happy that Geoff restored them and their ties to Superman.

6. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait, so isn't this just Smallville, sans the teeny bopper stuff and with all the destiny stuff told to him really early on? I haven't read Secret Origins.

7. Admiral_Young

Secret Origins focuses on Clark Kent's youth. There's no really soap operaish/angst y story line through it. Just follows several highlights until his first appearance in Metropolis as Superman. It gets criticized by fans for being boring (which I agree with to a degree) but find it much better overall than the second half of "Birthright" which just falls apart.

8. Dark Gilligan

Dark Gilligan Writer Fleet Captain

Agreed. The bulk of Secret Origins focuses on Clark as an adult. Only the first two chapters show him as a young teen.

9. Obiwanshinobi

So similar to the first Superman, where they flashbacked to his youth in Smallville? What is the overall difference if I may ask? Not with just Smallville, but any other Superman mythos? What is the main theme? Just him being a little reluctant to be fulfill his destiny?

10. Admiral_Young

11. Obiwanshinobi

Sounds pretty good. Although the last thing I want is 2 1/2 to 3 hours of Clark saying "awwww man I gotta do this! Awwww man I gotta do that! I guess I can save the day."

You know, just a very lethargic Clark Kent deciding if he wants to put his powers to good use. I doubt it will be like that, but you catch my drift.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Maybe, but I'm referring to the specific idea of Clark defining himself as Clark Kent first and Superman second, rather than being Superman or Kal-El first with Clark as just a cover identity. That's pretty much the quintessential thing that distinguishes the post-Crisis version of the character from the pre-Crisis one.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

20 years from now someone will adapt j michael straczynski's Superman story. That had wall to wall action

14. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No pre-crisis Bronze Age not Silver Age.

15. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not really this is more the Post Post-Crisis Superman where it follows the Bryan Singer approach of not a dual identity but a triple identity. There's Clark from Smallville and then there's his two disguises, bumbling Clark Kent mild-mannered reporter for a great metropolitan newspaper, and of course Superman champion of truth and justice. If you want Post-Crisis I'd suggest David Goyer take his cue from either Man of Steel or Birthright.
    And on a side note, Mayan Callendar jokes notwithstanding, am I the only one who thinks Warners are missing a trick by releasing the film in December 2012 instead of 6 months later in June 2013, the 75th anniversary of the character (and yes if you want to be pedantic about it I know Action Comics No. 1 was released months before June 1938)?

16. Admiral_Young

No there's a reason why they're releasing in 2012...they have to...due to the lawsuit and the rights expiring in 2013. This is also why we're getting the movie as soon as we are.

17. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good point, I forgot about the lawsuit. Do do you think they would have released it in June 2013 otherwise?

18. Admiral_Young

I'm not sure if they could. I'm pretty sure the deadline was for 2012.

19. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I don't really care about the technicalities of filmmaking.. you pour enough money into it and you are bound to get good visuals.

I'm far more interested in good stories and the current creative team fills me with hope.. Superman Returns was ok, it was not the second coming of Christ as some had expected just because Singer was at the helm and he tried something.

We will get something different that's for sure and i hope they make it good enough for a sequel so all the risks may pay off later.

I'll be definitely seeing this.

20. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Thank god, we're finally gettin' a Superman origin story!

:rolleyes: