final episode...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Enterprise' started by secretreeve, Apr 4, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's very difficult for Americans to emigrate to Commonwealth countries. And many people don't adapt for lots of reasons. Australia and NZ can seem like country towns if you've lived in big cities in the US or with Europe at your doorstep.

Not to discourage you all. We just had the most glorious summer..

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I have a big city address right now, but most of my life was usually outside the cities in suburbs. My teen years were in a town of 5000, near a city but considered the boondocks in the 1960s. It's currently 20000, and considered an outer suburb.

I like the convenience of being near a city, but I prefer smaller towns as my home base.

3. teacake

I'm currently living in area people devote themselves to until they are dead. 90 year olds telling you the history of everything, people who pride themselves on never having lived outside of this area.

I am determined to escape.

4. Melakon

I'm at the age where I worry I could wind up in an old folks home where everyone has blue hair. But since I'm poor, that's probably not likely. I don't feel old, but the body keeps trying to tell me otherwise.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I've lived most of more rural areas. Of course when I say rural I have three cities with 30 mins drive, and my nearest maor city is an hour way. So it's not exactly the outback.Not sure If I would like city life.

6. HopefulRomantic

HopefulRomantic Mom's little girl Moderator

This is so much more pleasant that the usual TATV rant thread. :biggrin:

...Perhaps because no one is talking about TATV.

This is one of those times when I don't really care if you get back on topic, tho.

*quietly tiptoeing out*

7. teacake

TATV is a piece of poo.

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Stinky poo that even Porthos won't eat.

9. Melakon

A stinky poo valentine to the fans.

10. teacake

I'm thinking maybe TATV was actually a South Park ep but someone forgot to animate it.

11. Melakon

Riker sure wasn't animated. And Trip was like a stiff.

12. Keith1701

Keith1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why did Trip have to die in the final episode?

I just finished watching Star Trek Enterprise, I was just concern why the producers decided to kill off Trip in the final episode from the Season Four?:confused:

13. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Re: Why did Trip have to die in the final episode?

To be shocking.

14. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

Dramatically speaking, a character dying is a good way of showing that a price has been paid for peace or whatever has has been gained.

A good example of this is Spock in The Wrath of Khan.

A good example of doing this horribly wrong in a way that seems like a senseless afterthought is Trip in These Are the Voyages.

15. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

From interviews, alledgedly this was an episode that had been on the drawing board prior to them getting notice of cancellation. Rick and Brannon initially thought of presenting the episode as a "look in to the future" episode to show the formation of the Federation and killing Trip. Had ENT continued on for a full 7 seasons Trip would've still been on the show because his death technically wouldn't have happened yet.

It's a rubbish idea for faux drama and it backfired heavily at B&B. If Demons and Terra Prime were the last episodes of ENT truly. Fans and the actors could've left the series on somewhat of a high and with a good taste in their mouths. But no. This "Valentine to the fans" was shoved in as a "homage" to all Star Trek as "a holographic history lesson". Even Berman admits he would never have done the episode had he known the reaction to it.

The episode IMO is lazy, mean spirited and poor.

Problem with "These are the Voyages" is that what was happening was weak compared to what the ENT crew had faced during their run. The Xindi conflict, the warp core sabotage by the Klingons, the Romulan drone ships to name a few where the stakes were higher than mere highjackers in space. Couldn't Trip just call for a security of Maco team? No, Braga had to get his rocks off killing a main character since he never got to kill 7 of 9 like he wanted to.

16. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

He finally got to do that in a recent post-VOY TNG comic book. It had the same kind of tacked-on vibe as Trip's death and totally worth disregarding, IMO.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Spoiler in topic title.

What about those watching for the first time? :lol:

18. teacake

They already had Trip's daughter die in the previous ep so killing him just looks like they really had it in for him.

And yes please don't put spoilers in titles when the briefest perusal of the forum will show you there are people watching it for the first time right now. Hopefully a mod can adjust i8t.

19. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah... just a lame attempt for dramatic effect. Not even the worst issue with the episode either sadly.

20. Melakon

I'll repeat the bit about the spoiler in the title. Despite it being 8 years old, I didn't see the episode for the first time until this past January.

Perhaps they thought they had somehow foreshadowed the event, with "Sim" and radiation burned Trip in IAMD.
    This shows how out of touch they were with the fanbase at the time, even though Berman was with the franchise nearly 20 years.