Starship Size Argument™ thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 1, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

You do realise that they fly in and aren't rolled across the floor, the pylons are much further apart as you get higher in the air, the ceiling in that shuttle bay is very high indeed.

The pylons are there not just to support the roof but to support the racks upon which the shuttles are landed, it's really obvious if you actually look closely.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 1, 2016
  2. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

I think they actually have a secret brewery in there as well, it would explain a lot. :beer:

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Oh no the denial is back again.

Bit of a false dawn there.

4. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Going from the IMs I've been getting, it seems like what the designers did was inconsistent. They make it look big inside, but it looks like a TMP-sized ship outside. So people can say "oh the shuttle bay makes it look so big because of the 40' shuttles", but then you have a shot of Kirk running past a window which isn't even a tall window, on the outer ring (with two decks) and yet it's supposed to be the same height as the TOS refit but 2x as long? Simple geometry shows that's not the case.

So, maybe both sides are right and the filmmakers screwed up.

5. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

Annnnnd were back to bargaining again.

Make up your mind, you can't have it both ways.

6. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

What are you even talking about? "Bargaining"? You can't accept it may just be a mistake?

Lots of movies make mistakes.

7. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Whatever mistakes were made, the official word is that it is 725 meters.

Gonzo likes this.
  8. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

And Han didn't shoot first. Your point?

9. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

You started by making flat out absolute statements that the filmmakers got it all wrong and that it's actually the same size as the original movie versions.

After having your entire argument torn to pieces by multiple members of the thread who have may I add seen it all before, you are now at the bargaining stage to try to make yourself look like you are being reasonable and to avoid having to accept the actual size of the new ship.

Denial
    To
    Bargaining
    To
    Acceptance

Unfortunately you are still just as wrong as you were at the start.

10. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Gonzo,
    I don't know what stunt you're trying to pull, but it's not working. I've shown multiple examples of how the proportion of person height to ship doesn't work out to 700+ meters, and yet you still want to argue. Despite evidence.

You can reply all you want, you won't change my mind.

11. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

How big is the ship based on an obvious external feature that is directly featured on a set as well?

In other words, how big is the ship scaled to an 8' bridge window?

Firebird and Gonzo like this.
  12. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

There was a post a few pages back where an artist did a deck rendering of the nuE, and showed that the outer edge of the saucer must have 6 decks, which is completely inconsistent with the two decks that are on-screen (and the decks are only 8' tall).

13. BillJ

Then the conversation has no purpose other than you trying to force your views on others.

14. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Funny since I'm not trying to force anything, and this thread was 80 pages before I got here.

Nice attempt at deflection.

15. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, even Bernd (after some strange jiggery-pokery) can't make the ship smaller than 450m based on the window. Interesting.

Gonzo likes this.
  16. Gonzo

Gonzo Guest

It boils down to the same thing it always does.

I don't want it to be that big.

It's not fair.

17. BillJ

Not deflection. But when someone says nothing will change their mind, there isn't much point in a discussion.

18. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

When visual evidence shows the contrary, why should someone accept what's wrong as fact?

19. BillJ

The visual evidence of the shuttle bay and engineering point to a ship much larger than 366 meters. The bridge viewscreen points to a ship larger than 366 meters. The plaza points to a ship much larger than 366 meters. Folks grasped onto what we see on the saucer edge. But the preponderance of evidence shows a ship much larger than 366 meters.

And, you have the folks who designed it stating it is 725 meters. Unless we have something ironclad on-screen that contradicts that notion, I tend to go with it.

Gonzo likes this.
  20. starmike

starmike Captain Captain

Two decks on the outer ring of the saucer point to a ship that's 366m.
    The size of the docking ports point to a ship that's 366m.
    The size of the people working on the Enterprise in the 2009 film point to a ship that's 366m.
    The size of Kirk and Chekov sliding down the Enterprise in Beyond point to a ship that's not even close to 700+ meters, and far closer to 366m.
    The shot of Kirk running against a window clearly points to a ship that's 366m.

Your point?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.