New Aventine novel announced for 2015!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, Jan 29, 2014.

1. dansigal

dansigal Captain Captain

Case in point, Geordi was offered a command track posting as Riker's second on Titan, but decided he'd rather be a Chief Engineer.

2. 2of1million

2of1million Captain Captain

I felt the same way, but she's kind of been growing on me the last few books. Still not sure I'd buy an Aventine novel though. Oh well, that's what public libraries are for. I might try it out there first.

3. Cyfa

Cyfa Commodore Commodore

I'm really looking forward to this novel for the promised Aventine-y goodness!
    I love how Ezri has grown in the ten years (in universe) since we saw her as a newly joined ensign in DS9. Ten years is a long time, and during that period we've only seen brief glimpses into her life, but each time she graces a novel, her character becomes stronger and more rounded.
    The same goes for Sam Bowers, Lonnnoc Kedair and Simon Tarses.

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's worth pointing out that isn't going to be to be an Aventine only novel. I know one of the descriptions I read, either from JJM or Margaret Clark, said that it features more than just the Aventine characters. I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was actually given the title for whatever series the other characters are from.
    I'm pretty sure some of the other novels with Aventine in it were announced as "Aventine" novels, but released under a different series title.

5. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

I'd be curious to read that, as I'm sure others would be, any chance you can supply a link?

6. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From JJM's blog, (the link is in the OP by the way :vulcan:) :

http://blog.farawaypress.com/2014/01/more-on-star-trek-titan-absent-enemies.html

7. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Cheers, I think.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was what I read, thanks Defcon.

9. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Agreed, I enjoy the stories with Dax and the crew of the Aventine:bolian:

10. Nob Akimoto

Nob Akimoto Captain Captain

You know...ever since A Singular Destiny, I've kinda been hoping Sonek would make a repeat appearance on Aventine and be a permanent fixture...a sort of Maturin to Dax's Aubrey.

11. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

I'm glad to hear that this isn't a stand alone with the Aventine. I hate the way Ezri has developed. I liked her best in the Fall when she didn't have a ship. She was more like Dax and less like the generic captain with issues we've had since she was promoted in the Destiny trilogy. Ezri as captain hasn't been as cool as it should have been. She's just been written as a bitchy captain always in a bad mood.

Look I've got no problems with Dax as a captain. Ezri I do. Anyone who knows Deep Space Nine and it's characters will know what I'm talking about. What would Ira Streve Behr or Ronald Moore think of the way DS9's characters have been written?

12. Jarvisimo

Jarvisimo Captain Captain

I think you need only look at BSG to see that Ron Moore might not mind a "bitchy captain [almost] always in a bad mood" ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  13. Shane Houston

Shane Houston Commander Red Shirt

No thanks. I'm allergic to BSG. Give me a rash. But I'll take your word for it. :)

14. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I know DS9 and its characters, and I don't agree with your assessment at all. Ezri deciding to move to the command track in the DS9 Relaunch really made her character so much more interesting, and so much more than just a neurotic Ally McTrill.

I have three reactions:

1. I think that they'd probably see some creative decisions they agree with, and some creative decisions they don't agree with. And they probably wouldn't agree with one-another about which ones are which. Such is the nature of art; artists will always have to make creative choices that don't satisfy everyone, and will always find themselves making choices that make sense to some and don't to others. This is unavoidable.

2. You're forgetting Robert Hewitt Wolfe, René Echevarria, Hans Beimler, David Weddle, Peter Allen Fields, Michael Taylor, Michael Piller, and Bradley Thompson. DS9 was not the exclusive product of Behr and Moore.

3. Who cares? It's not like their artistic decisions are any more inherently valid than Marco Palmieri's, KRAD's, Una McCormack's, or David Mack's.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I think Ira Behr would say... not enough cross-dressing Ferengis :lol:

16. Jarvisimo

Did any of you read the wonderful review of 'Profit and Lace' on Avclub recently?

17. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

I am so very not looking forward to doing "Profit and Lace" in the DS9 Rewatch. I didn't even watch that atrocity when I was rewatching all the Ferengi episodes to prepare for WoDS93.....

18. Jarvisimo

Reading Zack's review, I was thinking how you will write your review come the day, Krad!

PS, I really enjoyed your Feringinar novel - there was so much done here to rectify or add to tv ferengi. Although my one main criticism of it, and it was one I really thought was interesting given your treatment of gender in both book and reviews, was that Leeta felt almost as voiceless as Rom's (suitably horrifying in her Stepford-esque way) first wife. Was this deliberate? I imagine Leeta is hard to write, but it was disappointing to see her relegated to being mostly the 'silent wife in distress pregnancy' trope. There was that one scene with Ro, which was good to see, but she never felt very distinct.

19. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

I couldn't STAND Ezri in the TV series. I thought she was by far the most over-emotional, whiny, obnoxious character I have ever seen on Star Trek. Now that the novels have developed her into a character that isn't so two-dimensional, made her more like a 'Dax', I can rewatch those episodes without feeling so negative about the character. I'll surely read this when it's released.

20. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhm, no they don't. I loved Ezri on the show, it was Ezri from the novels I couldn't stand. Only now has she been showing some common sense during Ceremony of Losses. Up untill then, TrekLit Ezri was a stuck up little know-it-all because of all her previous knowledge from other hosts. Knowledge is nothing without hubris, something TrekLit Ezri was lacking if you ask me.