Species help

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by BrentMc, Jul 25, 2013.

1. BrentMc

BrentMc Commander Red Shirt

I am working on my first story and it is set in 2375. I need more species on board my ship. If anyone has time could you give me some ideas of what species would be realistic for serving on a Starfleet starship in 2375?

2. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Bolians,Vulcans, Andorians, Deltans, Efrosians, Trill, Bajorans, Zaldans, Benzites, Saurians, and Betazoids are the only ones off the top of my head. Doing some research at Memory Alpha must help, if you don't mind the suggestion.

:bolian:

3. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

4. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

what about any orions

5. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You really could use just about any species from the Federation's region of the Alpha and Beta Quadrant. As the post-TOS series have shown Starfleet accepts people from species whose homeworld is not in the Federation.

6. The Badger

The Badger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Right. Nog joined Star Fleet despite the fact that the Ferrengi are not part of the Federation. And Gaila, in the 2009 film, was at the academy. It was never explicitly stated she was an Orion, but the production notes state she is.

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

On the Silverfin I have a Boslic, Chandir, Ellora and Suliban serving onboard in 2378--species that don't appear to have any ties to Starfleet.

Plus you have all the species we've glimpsed on screen but which have never been named. The NuTrek movies are actually good for this: non-canon sources have the skinny Kelvin alien was from the planet Monchezke; then there is also the big-eyed Kelvin doctor; the bald, bug-eyed cadet; the bronze-skinned Enterprise science officer; and of course Keenser.

8. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's also not unreasonable to have more than one token member of each race on board. There shouldn't be any reason why you couldn't have two or three Andorians/Vulcans/etc. as part of the command crew.

Real life doesn't always work out that balanced.

9. BrentMc

Thank you all for the replies, and I did spend a lot of time on memory alpha first. There are so many species that I thought I would run it past you guys. I want my crew to be diverse. I will look up the species and add many of them to the story. Thanks again.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Or you could make one up. After all with 150+ members I doubt we've seen them all.

11. BrentMc

Good point. I'm doing this for the fun of being creative, so I might just do that.

12. cheesepuff316

cheesepuff316 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think the best mix is to have a few humans with some of the species that have been established by the series, and to add some other unknown ones in. I love reading about the features and characteristics of a new species so I think that would be good.

13. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

This older thread has some different non-canon characters.

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?p=6953290

Please feel free to employ either of my characters. Lt. Jer'notta is of the species Try-la (she is a amphibian mermaid), and Ensign Doh-chil is a Walloppi (a quasi-millipede insect species). Or if you want just use people from their species.

:)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013