What did you like/dislike about Into Darkness (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by DavidLeeRoth, May 17, 2013.

1. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I don't like people who critique other people for raising points. I believe that calling people "whiners" is inappropriate. I think by debating these points that we may have a better understanding of the film. I went to the film myself to see what it was about, so that I could talk intelligently about it.

2. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I liked the movie.

I didn't like when it was over and I had to go home.

3. Yorkshire Niner

Yorkshire Niner Captain Captain

Liked? All the actors.

Disliked? The director and the scriptwriters.

Simple.

4. FFunctionalData

FFunctionalData Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

disliked.

it seems the federation only has two ships in the fleet and also it appears earth has no type of defense when ships attack. Even though one of there member races had their planet destroyed recently.

5. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

Speaking of which, isn't it interesting that Admiral Marcus was willing to throw away the flagship in an effort at starting a war?

6. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Please keep your posts about the movie and not about other vaguely defined groups of fans. Thanks. :)

7. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Liked:
    The actors, visuals, direction, music. Simon Pegg as Scotty stood out, loved all his scenes. Urbans McCoy also top notch as expected. Infact they all did well but I would single out those two and Pine. Cumberbatch was great as John Harrison but not as good as Khan, if that makes any sense?

I liked seeing future San Francisco and the later scenes of destruction, it looked cool. Enterprise rising from the water infront of the natives was really cool even though it made no sense for it to be underwater :) The natives drawing a picture in the sand that morphed into the Enterprise.

When Kirk was in the briefing room he says he will miss Spock and Spock appears to consider replying but promptly shuts up. That was a LOL moment! Also Scotty calling Kirk a mad bastard was LOL. Few others bits as well prompted a chuckle. 'Ears Burning' heheh Klingon Scene was great from the discussion in the shuttle to the final capture of Harrison.

Disliked:
    Khan. Warp Core sequence. Chase scene (looked nice though!), Khans blood and its use. Transwarp beaming. Superfast warp speed! Transporter inconsistencies. Kirk rubbishing the Prime Directive (it sucks!).

The movie up till the Khan reveal was 7.5/10 for me, 6.5/10 after the reveal and 4/10 after Khan takes over USS Vengeance. The final act was awful (looked nice though! and was mildly entertaining) and silly.

8. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

It seems like the USS Vengeance was the future of his Starfleet, it was so vastly superior to the Enterprise that it probably rendered all existing starships obsolete, just like the HMS Dreadnought in 1906.

9. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was also mentioned that it can be run by just 1 crew member.. And it was solely a warship judging by its firepower. The Enterprise was clearly outgunned by it. And the scene when it attacked the Enterprise while at warp was actually pretty scary especially from the sound the ship made before it fired on the Enterprise...

10. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Liked: all the fun stuff they did with the Enterprise
    Nimoy's bit
    authentic moments of Kirk/Spock/McCoy banter
    truly a parallel universe - wonder how worf will do in the batleth tournament?
    loved the Kirk development, Demotion, Pike, all of that. I didnt see Pikes death coming, though its should have been obvious the second he made Kirk his XO.
    all performances are even better. Solid all around cast. I dont even mind Scottys little butt buddy. Carol Marcus. Yes please.

Dislike:
    Minor, but both Klingon and Earth space seemed unconvincing. Was there even a shot of an earth shipyard, or space station? And although it may have served no plot point, some sense of a Klingon frontier, outposts, or something, wouldve made sense.

11. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, but with Dramatic music...it works in "Space Seed." ;)

12. DavidLeeRoth

DavidLeeRoth Lieutenant Red Shirt

I was responding to the other poster who was critical of me for "whining" about the film.

13. malchya

malchya Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Liked: Everything not listed below.

Disliked: Carol Marcus (not Alice Eve, just the character. Waste of talent.)
    The "one man" crew of the Vengeance. Couldn't accept it, sorry.
    Magic Blood. Now everyone is immortal? Sigh...
    The WTF foot chase of Khan. We ramped up by going from a starship engagement to a foot chase? Really?
    The Klingon D-4.
    The fact that I have to wait another four years for the next one. JJ, sir, I'm an original series first generation Trekkie. I'm no longer a spring chicken. Snap it up, Mr. Abrams, if you please.

Really, Really, REALLY liked:
    Quinto. That man can plain damn act!
    The new Warp Core. I liked the engine room in TOS, TMP, TNG etc, etc; didn't like the brewery, but absolutely loved this one!
    Urban.
    Pine.
    Greenwood.

The battered but triumphant Enterprise rising from the clouds. Brought a lump to my throat and I may have had a speck of sentiment in my eye.

14. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That moment gave me goosebumps!

15. sj4iy

sj4iy Commander Red Shirt

Well, I may get pummeled for this, but I loved every minute of it. It was everything I've always wanted a Star Trek show/movie to be. Terrorism, sacrifice, death and vengeance? Plus the most bad-ass villain played impeccably by THE best British actor of generation? I wouldn't change a thing, really. I loved the character-building and relationship building that they spent most of the movie on. I loved how they cleverly twisted the story we knew to make something new. I cried audibly during the death scene, even though I already knew it was going to happen from accidental spoilers. And I love how they have made Spock more human and Kirk more humble while retaining their personalities. I would put this movie at the top of my ST movie list, just above TWOK, because I just felt more moved by this movie.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

So don't do that. The post really didn't merit a response, so the best course would be not to give it one - just skip on by.

17. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The only thing I disliked about the movie was it's need to stroke TWOK's ego, which was more than 5 minutes of the movie. It was like a half hour of the movie. Here I am loving the movie so far and really glad to be back in this new alternate universe where we get a fresh start on the franchise, and then here come all the Wrath of Khan references really just taking me out of everything. Other than that, I loved the movie.

18. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cinematography. Those scenes on Earth were utterly convincing.

The way Khan was used. I hoped and prayed Khan wasn't the villain in this film. I still wish they had come up with something more original, and to an extent, they did. Marcus was the enemy and Khan was his tool. That business with shooting drones (I'm sorry, torpedoes) at one citizen (I'm sorry, fugitive superman) without due process echoed troubling contemporary news. In your face, Mr. President! In the Star Trek universe, if you do this you are one of the bad guys, and Kirk and Spock will whoop your butt!

The actors. I didn't like Simon Pegg as Scotty in the last film, but he was great in this one. He was, like Scotty in the original series, the ordinary man with whom the audience can relate as Kirk and Spock do really insane things. Karl Urban again nailed McCoy ... the man has Kelly's Katra in a jar somewhere, I'm sure. Pine was great as Kirk ... he's adopted a bit of Shatner's swagger while bringing his own touches to the character. And Quinto ... was his voice a bit deeper this time? I'm perfectly happy with this guy being Spock for as long as Nimoy. Just ... give him some prosthetic earlobes.

The music. In 2009, Michael Giacchino delivered a soundtrack that struck my ears as a bit dull and repetitive. This time, there's a lot more variety to the music, with frequent callbacks to Alexander Courage. I'm looking forward to adding the new soundtrack to my collection.

The wardrobe. The costuming was gorgeous! I love the callbacks to the original series and Star Trek: The Motion Picture. I also like those jackets with the clear windows showing the color of the tunic underneath. The costume designer is a genius with a great eye for detail and design.

Dislikes:
    The Enterprise tumbling in free fall while its crew is falling inside the ship. Any film-maker who has been paying attention to the biggest films of the last twenty-five years must have known how Apollo 13 was made. How the sets and actors were hauled up in NASA cargo planes that then performed a series of free-fall manuevers while the actors performed in weightlessness. Why then did everyone in the free-falling Enterprise ... fall? They should have floated. They were falling in the same gravitational field as the ship. This was the biggest gaff in the movie.

Empty space around the Earth and Moon. Isn't Earth the center of the United Federation of Planets? Why did no other starship assist when the Vengeance started pounding on the Enterprise while only 237,000 kilometers from the capital planet of one of the most powerful empires in the galaxy?

Engineering. Nope ... still a brewery. I liked the warp core scenes shot at the National Ignition Facility a bit better, but the hardware still looked too contemporary. This has been complained about since 2009, but no one is budging from their position.

Too much junk on the Bridge. Another complaint from 2009 is the way a perfectly beautiful interpretation of the Bridge has been ruined with too much clutter from the 21st century and too many lights.

19. Bengoshi2000

Bengoshi2000 Ensign Red Shirt

I loved this film. I spent the last 3 months rewatching TOS with my boys and I found STID to be a logical progression AND a fun ride.

My sole complaint comes from the complete and utter lack of Earth's planetary defenses in the film. Two starships plummeting out of control through the atmosphere, and no one planetside seems to notice until just before Alcatraz gets deep sixed!? And what about two Federation vessels pummeling the crap out of each other miles above the lunar surface? Granted, I ultimately arrived at the conclusion that Marcus disabled the defense systems so no one could see what he was doing, but I have to assume that the Federation or some large Corporations had a presence on the moon and they could "see" what was going on?

But in the realm of complaints, this one is pretty minor...

20. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

Going to have to disagree here. You're saying that old Spock potentially replaced (a hypothetical scene of) a computer giving exposition but old Spock didn't actually give any exposition. He just said Khan was really, really dangerous, which has already been established quite well at this point in the film.

It wasn't a big deal and I enjoyed seeing Nimoy, but if it were up to me and the choice was an exposition scene and a Nimoy pop-in that didn't further the plot then I would choose neither.

Great movie though.