Star Trek London - All 5 captains to be there!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Janitor, Apr 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think there's any danger of it being cancelled. I have to admit I'm wary of paying my train fares for their Doctor Who event though - announced last week - taking place in September, it has David Tennant, but a rival event had already announced David AND Billie. When I was in the queue for LFCC it was the later I overheard being talked about, not the Showmasters/Massive Events convention.

Back to the LFCC, certainly the sheer numbers and different venue seemed to pose problems, so that will be a chalenge for them in the untested Excel centre, but it was better on the Sunday. I would have been out by 10am if I wasn't waiting for friends.

2. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Shamasters Dr Who event with Tennant has all the hallmarks of a hastily arranged fundraiser. All this "we've been planning this event for 6 months" is utter hogwash. One announced guest to show for 6 months of planning? Event announced only 2 months before it's due to go ahead? Yeah, right. Jog on, Joiner. No one believes you.

I suspect Tennant has severely blotted his copybook with Sean Harry though. If I was Harry, I would NOT be happy with Tennant. It's Harry's own fault for not getting DT tied to an exclusivity contract. He should know Joiner's been pulling these kind of stunts for years, and that Joiner will be as childish as possible in an attempt to ruin other organisers.

I would say Joiner has about a month to explain to people in clear and precise English (I know, he's not capable) what exactly is going to be at DSTL before people lose complete interest. People don't want cheap 80s school discos. They want what they've been promised, and right now they see no sign of getting any of it.

3. SecretlyMrsKirk

SecretlyMrsKirk Lieutenant Red Shirt

I would go, but I can't. It's a real shame. I wanted to meet my hubby in the person! *cry cry cry cry*

4. tubular_trekkie

tubular_trekkie Ensign Newbie

Well, I was thinking of going to this, but I've thought better of it. Not impressed with the organisation so far - or the prices! Yes, the guest list does sound impressive, but at the moment it simply looks like a way of enticing people to spend a lot of money on autographs and photo shoots, and not much else.

Also £25 for a party ticket - or £40 for two tickets to both parties seems very expensive to me. I wonder what is going to be so marvellous about them that would justify that kind of cost? :confused:

5. Admiral Bear

Take out the 5 Captains who may or may not all turn up for all 3 days, and you've got an event that wouldn't even rate as "poor" considering the ticket prices.

Does Joiner even know this is the 25th anniversary of TNG?

Joiner likes to think and act like he's the biggest fish in the pool. We all know he's nothing more than a very small bit of fish crap floating around in the water, but he could at least try and live up to his own propaganda. Where's the TNG cast reunion, Joiner? Show us all you're the big man you're so desperate to have everyone believe you are.

And if anyone wants some more evidence that Shamasters announces guests without a contract, or in this case, even asking them, have a look at Laura Vandervoort's twitter feed where she's had to take it upon herself to cancel her "appearance" at Joiner's Entertainment Media Show in October because she wasn't asked, knew bugger all about it, and will be busy with a private engagement. CLASSIC!!!! :guffaw:

Last edited: Jul 10, 2012
  6. Admiral Bear

Joiner now refusing to give automatic refunds for Laura Vandervoort photoshoots after her LFCC cancellation and subsequent "rescheduling" to EMS, which she's already said she's not attending. Despite being told LV won't be at EMS, Joiner is still pushing his lies that she'll be there.

Val Kilmer flashbacks anyone?

Still no word if Marc Alaimo is still going to DSTL. Still no information on bridge photoshoots, stunt displays. . .actually, no information on anything.

People are fast starting to lose interest from what I hear.

7. Admiral Bear

Rumour has it that Garrett Wang posted something unpleasant about Joiner on the DSTL Facebook page today. The post seems to have vanished, but the general gist of what Garrett said was that back in May at Fedcon, Joiner promised him a spot at DSTL. Joiner has now apparently shat on Garrett from a very large height, telling GW that his services are no longer required.

Garrett has unsurprisingly asked Joiner why. As is usual with Joiner, he's now clammed up and crawled back under his rock.

8. Rarewolf

I heard it was on the unoffical facebook page, I don't even know where that is.

Don't know if I'm going yet, come this October I could have 5 events in weeks already! DL would make it 6.

But I'll be in the city, so maybe. The Docklands Light Railway is out of action that weekend though.

9. Admiral Bear

Me neither!

Given the huge number of events Joiner's running between the start of September and DSTL in late October, I don't see that he has the time and or personnel resources to run DSTL.

Will be an absolute nightmare for people trying to get to Excel, assuming DSTL even happens. There's no information forthcoming about any of it. You ask Shamasters, you get nowhere. You ask Media 10, all you get is "we can't tell you anything yet".

The whole event is looking more of a complete London Olympic-esque shambles everyday.

13 weeks to go. Media 10 and Joiner really need to pull their fingers out of their arses big time if this event isn't going to be a disaster. I've long suspected that if the UK never has another Trek con, it will squarely be Joiner's fault, rather than the fact there's very little enthusiasm amongst British Trek fans.

10. Rarewolf

There's no less news on it than there normally isn't for any of their events, I really wouldn't expect the worst at this stage. There's just a lot more newbies who expect news.

11. Admiral Bear

Newbies who don't realise that you never get any information out of Shamasters. Usually, no information and the ignoring of requests for it, means the event doesn't happen. At the very least, Joiner will likely be hiding an awful lot that he doesn't want people to know.

He's promised starship bridge sets for photo ops, other sets, props, costumes. At the very least I'd expect him and Media 10 to know, with 3 months until the event, which bridge set they're going to get shipped over and put together by professionals. If they know, they're certainly willing to tell. Now I wonder why that might be!

12. Admiral Bear

People are now openly starting to bitch on the Shamasters forum about the lack of information and progress with DSTL.

They are of course being trodden on by the widely hated Bedwell, and some Shamasters lackey called Dwarfbabe who seems to think she's a moderator and takes every opportunity to brown nose Shamasters while tramping on other posters who dare to complain.

I'll give you a hint, love. You ain't a moderator. Now, jog on.

13. Admiral Bear

Someone moron, who to give them credit is rightly complaining about the lack of value in the gold and platinum tickets, seems to think the exorbitant ticket prices are all to do with Paramount and nothing to do with Shamasters!

Jesus wept.

14. Rarewolf

News to me.

He doesn't seem to be getting any better answers about certain questions than some posters, but he seems decent enough to me.

She's involved with the volunteer side of things at events

15. Admiral Bear

I was once told that in the early days of the forum, Bedwell deliberately wound up a few people to the point where he was threatened with violence. I think these people were also quite big spenders at SM events. A few years ago, Joiner even took his mod privileges away. If people liked him, he wouldn't have the nickname Snout Face. You should read his twitter feed. The hypocrisy and stupidity of what he writes is incredible.

As for answering people's questions, he gives everyone the answers he's told to give. He and the other mods on there have a crib sheet that they just cut and paste responses from. It's not that he hasn't been told the answers to people's questions. You'll notice that Joiner never answers anyone's questions unless he wants to. Ask a "difficult" question and you won't get a response other than Bedwell or other mod with their automated crib sheet.

16. Admiral Bear

Poster on the Shamasters forum says they've been told by the organisers that only gold, silver and platinum ticket holders will be allowed in to the 5 Captains talk, this despite us all being told the talk would be open to everyone as a paid for event.

It's all kicking off, boys and girls. Scam alert! Raise shields and go to battle stations.

17. tubular_trekkie

tubular_trekkie Ensign Newbie

Not entirely surprised at what I'm reading about this over there. It could all be a misunderstanding I suppose, but even if it is, it's quite a serious screw-up.
    I fail to see how anyone can buy a ticket now - of any description - and feel happy and confident that they're: (a) going to get everything that was initially promised and (b) get reasonable value-for-money without being corralled into spending more money on stuff that turns out not to be included after all...
    It might not be an outright scam, but it does seem to me that Showmasters are quite happy to use 'bait and switch' tactics to get people to go there in the first place. I'm glad I'm not going.

18. Admiral Bear

You'll see that Joiner deliberately posted one of his cut and paste crib sheet responses in a different thread to the one where all the action was so that he could evade having to sort out the huge can of bullshit which has been opened up by Media 10.

My suspicion would be that Media 10 have let slip something Joiner doesn't want anyone to know, and now he's slithered under his rock like the snake that he is, not that he's come out from under that rock since all the LFCC fuck ups.

If he'd sold a load of silver/gold tickets, he wouldn't be so clearly gagging for money that he's now apparently banned anyone on general admittance from attending the 5 Captains talk.

He's again come out with the abject rubbish that he's sold loads of tickets and that the event will be a sell out. Hardly anyone even posts on the DSTL forum anymore FFS, and no more than about 800 people have turned up to a UK Trek con in decades.

Come on, Joiner! Show us all what a big man you are. :guffaw:

19. Admiral Bear

Still no response from Shamasters on their forum, and tweets to Media 10 don't seem to be arriving. No directly sent tweets from anyone other than Media 10 have gone up on the DSTL twitter feed for weeks, while the official FB page has got more dust on it than my mantlepiece.

I can't see any way this event will go ahead. People should prepare themselves for the mother of all excuses.

The post below has been cut and pasted from the Shamasters forum before it "disappears". Clearly written by someone who's first language isn't English (no, not Joiner), so apologies for some of the not quite so good wording.

It has always said and still says upgrades will be available once you purchase the basic tickets. However the ticket line has no info on if that is true or not and clearly others have found it is not true. They also said there are no refunds if you purchase a basic ticket and then find you cannot upgrade to the Opening Ceremony. That is criminal and has me thinking to just call it all off and not buy anything or go at all. I have no interest in the "package goodies" and just want to get in and see the talks....no autographs or photos and frankly the way Showmasters is being with information I don't trust that you would even get what the packages claim. Shame on your Showmasters for misleading people with vague language.

And double dumb ass on Joiner too.

And roger me with a large cucumber, it's just been "disappeared"!

http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1589/scamasters.jpg

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  20. Admiral Bear

You are fading from my scanners, Star Trek London. . .but the end cannot be far away.*maniacal laugh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.