The Hall of Forgotten Fanac: The James Dixon Collection

Discussion in 'Trek Tech' started by WRStone, Dec 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

:guffaw::rofl:
    I dunno, but that whole thread screams fake to me. The names of the posters and the whole idolization of James Dixon makes me think that every poster in that thread is a Dixon dual. :rolleyes:

I liked his timeline, and he put a lot of effort into it, but he also ranted quite a bit. Okuda's timeline was pretty mealy-mouthed about not wanting to nail down things, so writers could do whatever they wanted. Dixon had no trouble speaking his mind on such things and trying to set tech fandom in permacrete.

I wonder when edition 18 will come out, and how he'll try ti disguise it. Since "Christopher T" was 'trying to edit his timeline', I'm guessing he'll release it under that name. The hardest part will be for him to make the additions seem like somebody else writing them.

2. WRStone

WRStone Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I was thinking the exact same thing. Reading Christopher Tarana's posts, I could be convinced it's Dixon.

Dakota Smith

3. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Xon too. His anti-Enterprise comments are right out of Dixon's mouth.

Oh god, they're all him, aren't they? All sixteen members. He was banned here so he started his own Trek BBS. It's some bizarre pantomime where he points out how clever he is and congratulates himself over and over.:cardie:

Nah... it can't be. I hope.

SolarisOne likes this.
  4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Makes perfect sense. Remember, he wasn't just banned here, he was banned everywhere. He's the only person he was ever willing or able to get along with.

SolarisOne likes this.
  5. Darkwing

Darkwing Commodore Commodore

That's what I meant when I said "every poster". I only read the one thread, but Xon's comments and Christopher T's comments, combined with the username Davros of Borg, convinced me. It's gotta be.

6. WRStone

I think you're probably right. When I vice-moderated the TREK echo, he did that a lot. We'd give him suspensions or bans, and he'd get pseudonyms that were pretty easy to spot. He comes close to admitting it in, "ONLINE DIFFICULTIES..." when he talks about his "friends" ...

Dakota Smith

7. WRStone

Actually, if all the posters on the Terak Nor Promenade are Dixon, that would make this posting of the STID non-trailer on December 7 a potential Dixon sighting.

Oh, hell, of course it's a Dixon sighting. December 7: Pearl Harbor Day and the anniversary of the opening of STTMP. And he posted a fake STID trailer.

Dixon was still out there a couple of weeks ago.

Dakota Smith

8. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

That's pretty much him in a nutshell.

I used to participate fairly heavily on the USENet rec.arts.startrek.tech (and other rec.arts.startrek groups), and got into some DOOZY flame wars with him.

(As did nearly everyone else- I can't remember a single person actually agreeing with anything he posted).

9. F. King Daniel

Sorry to bump this, but I came across THIS and thought it may be of interest. CaptainLJB seems to be another James Dixon puppet. The fake leaked Trek XII script is the same one posted on the Terok Nor Promenade site - but there are a few interesting things in the thread. His detailed review of JJ Abrams' Star Trek is on page 3, and he also mentions having started writing a book about his life and obsession with Trek. And bashes Mike Okuda. A lot.

10. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

It has his touch, you might say. Here is hoping for other folks across the web to be lauded....roasted...

11. ElScoob

ElScoob Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh my good lord. That is UNQUESTIONABLY James Dixon. The random Capitalization, the insistence that 'Treknical' is a word, the psychotic fixation on Mike Okuda, the complete and utter disconnect from reality. The only thing missing is a sad plea for a 'Trekess' to hook up with him (presumably in hopes of popping out a new generation of Treklets to carry on his holy jihad against all those who would sully the good name of Treknical Fandom).

I've had run ins with that kook going back twenty years and more to the FidoNet Trek echo. I suppose I'm glad to know he's alive and well... But man, I have no reaction to the man but to sadly shake my head and walk away. There but for the grace of God....

--g

12. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

I know I'm going to end up regretting asking this, but...WTF is James Dixon and why is his name spoken of like he was Typhoid Mary?

13. F. King Daniel

It's summed up nicely in DakotaSmith's OP link. He wrote an amazingly detailed Trek chronology, but was absolutely unable to cope when subsequent Powers That Be chose to disregard many of the assumptions made in the first-generation technical manuals, booklets and unlicenced technical fanzines. He took it all very personally.

One more James Dixon sighting. Look for two posts by JTD near and at the very bottom. In his chronology and rants, he held up the Star Wars Expanded Universe as the ultimate example of a mammoth continuity which built upon the old instead of overwriting/ignoring it. Now JJ Abrams has come along and the SW EU looks likely to be ignored by Star Wars Episode VII...

14. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

DakotaSmith,
    I went over to the Dixon link in your first post above and Google Drive says I don't have access to any of the documents starting with the "Fandom Star Trek Chronology." I got the message you were being sent my request for access.

15. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

I got the same message...

16. Lenny Nurdbol

Lenny Nurdbol Lieutenant Commander

Speak ill of the dead.

I can't believe what I'm reading here.
    You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

17. F. King Daniel

^He's obviously not dead. But I suspect you know that;)
    Here's the latest version of the Chronology: http://phoenixinn.iwarp.com/startrek/files/trek17.zip

18. Lenny Nurdbol

Next you'll be saying that "the remote X'Nodi Sector located on the outer fringe of Federation space" is a reference to Dixon...

You guys must smoke some mighty good stuff on here. Or do you get this way after being aged and exposed to E and XI?

Tech Fandom has been around for a Very long time, and many fans of old think and even act and type alike...

19. F. King Daniel

I would think most would of those older fans would understand the real world reasoning behind tech fandom's so-called demise. Other than FJ's manual and blueprints (which are still a big influence on Trek - check out the USS Kelvin and spacedock in the last movie) most of it was unlicenced material - basically fanzines. Fanzines were technically illegal use of Trek's copyrights, although they were tolerated by TPTB because they were harmless and weren't actually making profit. But to use that fan-made stuff in episodes or movies? It was never gonna happen any more than they'd adapt the Kraith stories into a TV series.

And as for why FJ's manuals were ignored by Okuda's - IIRC it's because Okuda was told to ignore them. Apparently Gene Roddenberry and Franz Joseph had a falling out over FJ independently licencing the Technical Manual to make the Star Fleet Battles game, without GR getting a cut.

20. Lenny Nurdbol

One word: bullshit...
    It's about MONEY, plain and simple. Licensing and who gets to use the Star Trek name or not...
    Do you hoestly think that if Okuda used an NCC from an old manual which matched a ship name on the show that lawsuits would fly?

It doesn't mean us fans have to follow suit and ignore shitloads of manuals and blueprints we've come to hold dear, just because TPTB say "No-No."

As it's been shown, Okuda et al have gone out of their way, out in a limb in fact, to desecrate Trek publications of the past, licensed and unlicensed. That's not a very friendly gesture to fans who were brought up on these bits of minutia. Are lawsuits really going to start flying if the refitted Enterprise were called Enterprise Class in an episode or movie? Or a U.S.S. Reliant model an Avenger Class rather than Miranda Class?

Don't tell me the show's "official" continuity people are Told to ignore them.
    And don't tell me to worship Them simply because they're Entitled.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.