Authoritive Female leaders and thier sterotypes.

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by jazzstick, Oct 10, 2009.

1. jazzstick

jazzstick Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hey Everybody!

I have such fond memories of Voyager, and one in particular comes from when for what ever reason, from no matter what part in the house my father was in, when Voyager was on he would shout "Oh boy! Lesbians in space!". It would seem that he views women in authority as somehow less feminine and more masculine. He swore that Janeway and Seven had a thing! Did Janeway ever come off as being a fan of the ladies more that the guys to anybody else? Would this be because she was in command? Does authority make a woman less feminie because they are in a dominant role?

2. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Janeway hardly ever came across as sexual - she really had a decidedly more maternal relationship with many of the crew, particularly Seven. For her and Seven to have a "thing" would be.... weird. Very weird. I honestly don't think her being God Emperor Captain of Voyager particularly compromised her femininity.

I think your pops is just a wee bit misogynistic.

3. SpaceBrotha

SpaceBrotha Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

She may have been maternal but even a mother needs some lovin

4. SpaceBrotha

Also I don't think her authority made her less feminine as much as her baritone voice.

5. jazzstick

You know now that I think about it, they never really address this much did they. It was a long voyage the captain had needs? Didn't she bang Paris after they went warp nine?

6. SpaceBrotha

I bet she just went on the holodeck and scissored furiously with a virtual seven of nine.

7. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh well it's an old story. Kirk/Spock started it off, it's been under its own steam ever since.

For my money, Laura Roslin has Janeway beat all hollow.

8. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Janeway never struck me as unfeminine. The only reason I can think of that people might consider her "masculine" is that she's (gasp!) in charge and the men on the ship have to follow her orders.

9. jazzstick

Well! I'm sorry if things just aren't as clear to me as they are to you! (gasp!) I guess we all can't be as insightful and superior as you Mr. Master of the human condition!

Sheesh!

10. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a contralto, not a baritone. I'm not aware of any woman in existence who has a baritone. Or even a tenor, for that matter.

11. Pemmer Harge

Pemmer Harge Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:wtf:

12. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

No, no and no.

And on a personal note, I hope you haven't listened too much to the nonsense spouted by your father.

Obvious troll is obvious.

:wtf: indeed.

13. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

This won't end well. :vulcan:

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be accurate, after travelling at warp ten caused her and Tom Paris to mutate into salamanders (the next stage of human evolution) they had sex and she gave birth to futuristic salamander offspring.

You know, I don't care what anyone says, I love that episode!

15. Joshua Howard

Joshua Howard Captain Captain

Well, I haven't watched the VOY series yet, so I will not say anything about Janeway. However, when it comes to female bosses, that is an interesting dynamic. If you are the (male) flea under the foot of the boss, and the evil manager is an attractive woman, there is the attraction element which always fights with the desire to escape the great evil that is haunting your very life. It adds a terrifying psychological part to an otherwise inappropriate crush.

As for the OP's dad, I kind of rank him in a separate category. Some people really get a kick out of gay jokes, and for him, it is probably just as simple as that. The very fact that the character on screen isn't sleeping with dudes frequently and is seen around other women is taken as proof enough that there is something strange going on.

In any case, one vital part of romanticism is the male desire to protect a woman (Think The Menagerie) which is clearly not there if said woman outranks him and is giving orders. I wouldn't say that a woman being boss eliminates her femininity as a whole, but it probably does for those who are below her in rank.

16. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

This is dare I say fasinating, but I don't know if you'll receive much useful insight; mine included. However, the orgins to some of this we should look back to the test audiance and their view of #1 from the Cage; GR said the female audiance members didn't care for her at all(i.e. "who does she think she is";etc). So gender aside reaction can vary greatly. To my eyes the sort of injoke appeal to Janeway / 7 relationship was the chemestry and true connection they clearly had as actors and characters. They respected and cared for each other. People read into that what they will.