MLP:FiM S3 Episode 5 - "Magic Duel"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Amaris, Dec 1, 2012.

?

Grade & Discuss S3E5 "Magic Duel"

1. A

14 vote(s)
    87.5%
  2. B

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. D

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  5. F

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  1. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Saving up for years? she was still hitting towns most of season 1 and probably fell into working there early in season 2, the gabby gums thing was everyone else finding out. She would only have been working there the 8 or so months from then until now.

The Pie's didn't strike me as the rich type.

2. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I just checked the episode that screencap is unaltered. In fact, she's on both sides since they mirrored the crowd for that shot.

And, hey, what joker voted "F" in the poll? *grump*

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

The altered thing popped up at the Booru, since it's happened before I wasn't sure.

Ugh probably just some idiot 12 year old around here trying to act cool. I don't think we really bother with the rating system anyway, might just start doing it in-thread with the posts from here on.

4. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess I'll be in the minority for the whole "alicorn" thing. I grew up with the actual meaning of the word. Never liked how it's misused here or in the general fandom. :(

Still, a great episode that oozes nods to the fandom. It's great to see a product that isn't just name-dropping, that proves the production team acknowledge a lot of what's gone before. This is one of the few episodes that directly follows on an earlier one, and thus grows many characters and the series as a whole. Since most of the episodes are one-offs with no particular consequences, this more arc-oriented story will surely be a fan-fave once all is said and done.

Mark

Last edited: Dec 3, 2012
  5. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

6. Gepard

Eh. The meaning of words change over time. And if it helps you feel better, it could be so named because it's an amulet made of alicorn and not because it's an amulet depicting an alicorn. That's a totally feasible explanation...that will undoubtedly be busted by the show referring to Celestia and Luna as alicorns somewhere down the line. :p

7. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Not unless the bone was pulped, remoulded into the amulets shape, a gemstone shoved in, and the thing then coated in metal.

But if that's how you want to see it... :lol:

8. Gepard

Hush, you. :lol: I don't subscribe to that interpretation either, but I've seen it bandied about by those who don't like the fanon and now canon use of "alicorn", so I thought I'd offer it up.

And it could be carved in parts from several unicorn horns and then metal plated, so it's not that improbable.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Just rather horrible. :p

10. Gepard

It is a very moribund idea-- though I suppose in keeping with the "creepy little shop" vibe, where fantasy characters are always finding eldritch tomes bound in human skin and whatnot.

11. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough - and truth be told, fifty years from now someone will probably be watching these early episodes (while waiting for the 53rd season of FiM to start, natch) and laugh at how some Brony got it wrong. :P

Mark

12. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Absolute win. Fanservice can easily go wrong but this was handled with expertise.

13. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, fanservice can go wrong, as you've said. Fortunately, this was done very well. It gives me a "we know you guys exist and we thank you for being a part of it" kind of vibe. I may be wrong, but that's what I get from it. I do love the show, I love all of the talent behind the show, and as someone who wants to get into the voice acting business, it's very interesting to follow.

14. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Yes I know, I was even toying with having a Ponynomicon in a fic at some point but still.

15. Amaris

Yeah, some folks like that, though I generally avoid fanfics that get gory or dark like that. Just not my cup of tea.

16. Gepard

Interestingly, according to Meghan's twitter, the story pitch for this episode was planned for season 2 and was accepted in January 2011 – almost two years ago. To put that in perspective, Boast Busters first aired on November 19th, 2010 –only two months prior; and the first BronyCon took place in June 2011, six months later. (!) Obviously, there was plenty of time for writing, storyboarding and animation to respond to the fanbase if, in fact, it ever did, but it does put the idea that this episode was fanservice into perspective.

17. Amaris

I was reading that on EqD and all I could think was "holy crap! It takes forever to make these episodes!" :lol:

18. Gepard

It's a bit unusual in this case because the episode was delayed by a season. But, yeah, it usually take a good year or so from concept to completion. I recall Jayson Theissan mentioning at some point that during season one they were working on all episodes simultaneously through the entire production cycle running up to the airdate. It's a lot of freaking work.

19. Amaris

It's a good thing that it's also a labor of love, or I don't know how they would handle all of that stress!

20. Gepard

If you have the Amazon season 1 set, they talk a little on the commentaries about it, and apparently Jayson brought work home to his wife and she would board sequences gratis in order to help out. She boarded the whole Winter Wrap-Up song sequence and whatever the song is called in Show Stoppers. That is dedication.

Unrelated to that, Magic Dual finally hit iTunes. Thank God. Now I can have my unwatermakred, color-corrected 1080p ponies. Whee!