Whatever happened to Starship Exeter?

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by TK421, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

There is the small matter of that pesky Copyright Paramount has on the franchise. James Cawley and CEC/RFS have gotten rights to web production of 'Buck Rogers Begins' and I'm guessing will try to turn that into cash, but with the success of JJA Trek in making money, you can kiss any hope that Paramount might license Trek usage to fan productions 'goodbye'.

2. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

I'm sorry, but that doesn't make any sense. star Trek is always changing. A good product is a good product. What Gene did could be done again with the right people. Classic Trek vrs nu Trek sounds like the coke a cola scheme. It turned out pretty good for them. I don't see how one produced version hurts another. Exeter is not looking to make money. Why can Buck Rogers make money and not Star Trek. I don't get it. It's the people who decide not the brass.

3. number6

number6 Vice Admiral

In this case Paramount OWNS Star Trek and can license it how it pleases.

4. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

It's the owners of the property who decide, not the people. The "people" don't get to make money from someone else's Star Trek property any more than the "people" can decide to sell your car and make money from it.

We can make money from Buck Rogers because we've secured permission--that is, a license to the property from the owners of "Buck Rogers" to do exactly that. We can't make a single dime from Star Trek because we haven't secured permission--that is, a license to the property from the companies that own it. That's why it's free to viewers. We make the episodes and are obligated to get nothing in return.

Having different versions of the Star Trek universe out there might or might not be a good idea. But it would, of course, be up to the owners of Star Trek to decide what's best for Star Trek.

5. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Xortex is trying to make the case that these fan productions aren't doing anything to compete with Paramount's product, but instead complement it. Certainly it's Paramount's right to discourage anyone else from making a profit on their trademark, but some might argue that that isn't the smartest choice.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see Paramount try to nurture these fan-based productions and let them earn a profit in exchange for a fair percentage.

6. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Psion, in a perfect world, Star Trek would be reality, not fiction!

7. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Bumpy foreheads and Ferengi aren't my idea of a perfect world. ;)

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Oh, I don't know. I think a good argument could be made that following Star TreK: Enterprise, people got pretty tired of Star Trek and 700+ hours constituted a "glut." There was so much Trek out there that Paramoun t/CBS couldn't generate any more interest in their property. I could esily imagine the same thing happening if dozens or scores of fan productions are out there, making even more Star Trek noise that people just tune out.

There's a point where we complement real Trek and a point where we simply sabotage and water down the brand. I don't know that anyone really knows where that dividng line is--and it's probably a moving target anyway.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably so.

Talked to Jimm last night; he asked for an extra second on the end of an effects shot...possibly my last CG work on the episode. We discussed the captain's final voice-over narration, which needs to be embriefened. I think we're close - measured in months, not days.

10. xortex

I think there is a big difference, or let's say big enough difference, in the universes of classic Trek vrs let's say Voyager to make them almost totally different products. If What Gene did could be done again, why would they be adverse to that? Especially since it's not being done for money. Now let's say down the road they decide to do it for money, that's a different story but they would never do it until they were sure it could be done which is understandable. I see no conflict with it running concurrent with Nu movie Trek. Yes, it's an anachronism, but one that I'm sorry was never tried until ironically the movie but the movies can't last forever as it is a prequil. Supposedly..

11. CaptainKen

CaptainKen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

1 second more on an effects shot and the your CG work is done. Sounds like it could be nearing completion. Does the final voice-over really need to be "embriefened"? ... So I guess the Captain doesn't die?

You are exciting me, Dennis! It sounds like Act IV is nearly done! Would you concur? Would Jimm concur?

Any word on the possibility of Jimm doing a voice-over for Michael's animated Farragut "The Needs of the Many"?

12. NEO f/x

NEO f/x Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished (I think) my CGI work for Exeter last week as well...Only one more compositing shot from my side and I will be done as well....

Dennis...if Jimm is talking into the mic soon, see if he would be interested in recording a line for me...At least Ken can then brag he has a producer credit in the next episode :techman:

Just in fun, Ken :)

13. xortex

Are there gonna be any more Exeter episodes?

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hear what you're saying, and you might very well be right, but ...

Where is the glut of crime dramas? Medical dramas? There are so many of each on the air at the same time, you'd expect them to have run their course by now. And yet, they continue to draw strong audiences despite a lack of amazing effects and different settings. They're always set on modern day Earth ... usually in someplace like Los Angeles, even!

The only thing that varies are the characters, sets, and style and quality of the writing, and I'd argue that those same qualities can lend themselves well to diversity within amateur and semi-pro Trek productions. And how often do these productions put out new episodes? A few each year at best? That isn't causing any kind of a glut.

Oh, and Dennis and NEO f/x: that's damned exciting news. I'll take this opportunity to remind you again that I've held off from watching anything past the teaser in anticipation of seeing the whole thing in one sitting. And I really want to watch this!

15. CaptainKen

I kinda thought you might not be fully up to speed on Exeter. We've been waiting a LONG time for the 2nd episode which I believe they said would be finished a couple of years ago. We're still waiting, but we are excited because they are very close now! But it's been 5 years or so since they did any filming and there are no published plans on their website (at least nothing dated in the last few years) to indicated that another episode is in the works. I hope that this second episode when it is completed will be so well received that they will reorganize and consider shooting another, but I know that hope is kind of a long shot.

I'm a HUGE fan of Exeter because I really think they've nailed that TOS look-and-feel. "The Tressaurian Intersection" is just awesome! BUT I'm a realist and it concerns me that their websites haven't been updated in years. There is no updated news, announcements, press releases. If they were actively preparing to do another episode you would think they might say something to someone...

16. CaptainKen

Lots of fun, Michael. Made my evening. Hey, if the producing thing doesn't work out for me, could I do The Voice Over? I've been looking into voice acting over the last couple weeks. People have told me all throughout my professional career that I have a great voice and should get on radio. I've done a lot of public speaking and I have a good deep resonant voice. I've been finding out, like any good line of work, that it takes a lot to break into this field. I'm trying to find the way to make myself a demo. Anyhow, if the producing thing falls through, maybe I could be the voice of this mysterious Captain who saves the day!

17. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

Great news Dennis!

(Howcum your avatar is a black square?)

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In honor of Senator Kennedy's passing.

Jimm does have some plans for the Exeter website.

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I should call him about that. I have some materials I talked to him many moons ago about putting up there as extras: storyboards, concept sketches... that script we'll never film lol.

20. xortex

DS9Sega, is your script finished - 'The Atlantis Invaders'? It seems like they're still thinking about TTI script and if it makes sense or not. I was just over there on the boards. It's like a cemetary. I got scared. I saw one viewer and felt relieved until I realized it was me!! Meanwhile new voyages is probably teaming except I got kicked out of there.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2009