Star Trek: The Seekers

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Aug 3, 2013.

1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dayton Ward has posted on twitter he and Kevin Dilmore have been given the green light by the book editors to write the second Startrek seekers novel.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I guess that means Mack has a second one as well. Does anyone know if that was announced yet?

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Can't wait for this series.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, it means that David is writing the first Seekers novel and Dayton and Kevin are writing the second (the second of the series, not a second for them). It's only one each so far.

5. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

Finally, another Wardmore Trek book. :techman:

6. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I thought they had already announced that they were writing one for next year. September I thought. I didn't realize that it was still tentative until just recently.

7. TJ Sinclair

TJ Sinclair Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I cannot begin to express how excited and hopeful I am for this series. Been following the project since Dayton announced it on his blog, and I'm very glad the reception has been so good at the editorial level so far.

Hopefully the sales will be solid. *fingers crossed, wallet open*

8. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dayton Ward has done another Podcast over at the G&T show they talk about his latest Star trek novel From History's Shadow and about the upcoming Star trek Seekers and how they wanted to continue the series after Vanguard ended. With different Starship crews and wanted to feature a woman captain in the Tos era and move the stories and technologies to the time of the Startrek the motion picture.

9. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to seeing more of Capt. Khatami's life and career. The elements we've already read about have been intriguing.

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

I also like Khatami very much, too bad we have to wait a year :(

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed, one of the reasons I keep re-reading Vanguard is Khatami. Love the character.

12. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

Pretty cool that a book exclusive series like Vanguard gets a spin-off series. Looking forward to it.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I didn't even think about that. Would that be a first for Trek lit?

14. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess to a certain extent one could argue that New Frontier was a spin-off of the TrekLit exclusive Starfleet Academy young adult novels, with Peter David using many of his characters from there in New Frontier.

15. Jakks

Jakks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Awesome. Can't Wait!!

16. Sxottlan

Sxottlan Commodore Commodore

Some of my (minor) concerns:

1. Doing the throwback approach might be confusing for some. Beyond the long, long time readers who will get it, it might be too much of a niche within a niche. Then again, the big numbers on the cover may drive people to really pick up the book and examine it.

2. An Endeavor in Seekers and an Endeavor in ROTF. A bit repetitous, but not much you can do about that now. And I would prefer ROTF keep with established tradition of naming NX-class ships after the space shuttles. Perhaps this is an opportunity to create some continuity between the two: create a sense that ships named Endeavor have as proud a tradition as ships named Enterprise, etc.

3. I'm looking forward to the series, but without the political and archeology angles of Vanguard that differentiated it from TOS, I hope there is a new angle to make it stand out.

I don't know if I'd consider the above example about NF. That seemed more like continuing to use the same characters across two series. Then again, Seekers sounds like such a direct spin-off that I guess it should really be called a sequel series. Which they may have. I don't have the announcement in front of me. Semantics.

17. Christopher

Well, for a while there were three ongoing book series featuring ships named Enterprise, and there are still two.

What I find interesting is that not only do both series feature an Endeavour, but in both series it's the larger one of a pair of hero ships.

Well, that was established in the preceding ENT novels, which between them gave us Challenger NX-03, Discovery NX-04, Atlantis NX-05, and Endeavour NX-06. Endeavour was the only one other than Enterprise that survived the war according to the books, and Enterprise was retired. So it was really the only one left I could use.

There have been references in screen graphics to a couple of 24th-century Endeavours, and one was mentioned in dialogue in VGR as having encountered the Borg.

18. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Wikipedia lists a number of mock-ups with spaceworthy names, like Pathfinder. Also, even though it isn't an US-American product, I'd like to see a Columbia-class Buran.
    That would depend whether or not more Columbia-class ships will actually be built. IFM mentioned 16 ships altogether but isn't a mandatory source anymore.

Maybe we'll see a fleeting reference to a 24th century Endeavour in one of the other novels? For sentimentality's sake. :bolian:

19. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

IFM is in a weird limbo now - whilst it will not be referenced again, it had already been referenced before that decision was made. Whilst we will probably as individuals have to assume that Scotty pulled off another miracle to escape, someone (probably Christopher) will have to decide how many NX's are built and if they are built as the previous ships or in the 'refit' configuration.

20. Christopher

^Heck, personally I like to think that Enterprise herself was refitted with a secondary hull sometime during the Romulan War. The books never say it wasn't, despite what the cover of To Brave the Storm shows.