Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

You also don't know what you are talking about. Axanar got a few thousand $ for running the "These Are The Voyages" Kickstarter for Marc Cushman. They didn't get $ 45,000.

By why let the facts get in the way?

And I noticed you ran over to Trekmovie.com to attack Alec and Cushman over the TATV Kickstarter. Seems no end to your desire to rain on success of others.

You really need to lighten up and get over yourself.

2. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

You are right. I misspoke earlier. Axanar raised $45,425 for These Are The Voyages in total. What was not made clear on the Kickstarter page was that some of those monies would be reapporiated back to Axanar.

Interesting.

As for TrekMovie, so what? There's a legitimate controversy surrounding the self-publication of these books. Cushman refuses to admit that he's publishing them himself even though silly little things like facts are all pointing to precisely that being the case.

Too, the scholarship and journalism of those books is entirely debatable. If Cushman and Peters can ask fans for money, they can take a little scrutiny. Mischaracterizing my posts in that discussion as "attacks" is just one cherry on top of this ice cream sundae, par for the course for your usual M.O. of attempting to discredit anyone who disagrees with them.

Still, it's quite nice to know my opinion on these thing carries such weight.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

While we're at it, I've also noticed that you have a noticeably paranoid tendency to assume any disagreement with you is a result of Alec having dispatched his Facebook attack sheep (even as regards Noname, who AFAICS and unlike Herbert has shown no evidence of being such). There is no doubt that Alec still reads this board and can be reliably prompted into reacting to you, and that he has been genuinely guilty of putting up calls on Facebook to respond to you... which is dumb an immature on his part, but also to my mind raises some significant questions about whether the "trolling" is all one-way. Nor does your having managed to get him booted from this Board necessarily mean that yours is the cause of the angels; kindly do not assume the rest of us are children.

Beyond that, there is considerable doubt about whether you've managed to convincingly prove anything about Peters more damning than his being something of an egotistical and easily-provoked jerk. And frankly I think you would benefit from just openly airing whatever your real, root issue is with him [there must be one, surely] instead of this passive-aggressive sniping about Kickstarters (and yes, your fairly ignorant beefing with Cushman pushed me over the line into being more than just tired of the dispute, but actually understanding something of Peters' view of you) that has become far too predictably much of your MO.

You say I'm trying to "bait" you. Nothing could be further from the truth. I'm trying to make you aware of how your actions look and their negative effect on your credibility. I wouldn't be going to this effort if I were your enemy and did not like you, quite the reverse.

Oh, and:

You openly made common cause in the TrekMovie thread with someone who outright accused Cushman of "bilking the fans." Don't pretend that you were engaged in some academic dispute. You were not, and anyone who was party to that thread can see it. If you really wanted to debate the scholarly merit of the book, as opposed to whether the authors are in some way defrauding the backers, then you'd be talking about arguments as opposed to whether associating with the book at all were somehow cause for "concern."

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  4. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

How did this thread got derailed into talking about the books? :confused:

How they handle the money on the book is completely their business, as long as they fulfill the goals set in the Kickstarter. I am looking forward to receiving my books! And if it helps Axanar in the process, I´d say even better for both!

Since Cushman has received a Saturn award for his books, so I wonder what is so shady about it. But here is not the place to discuss that, even if I would love to hear about it - in a PM or in a special thread in the literature section.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

And perhaps you should remember the rule is "post not poster".

Lucky for some here that Greg's such a pussycat. Some of the other mods would've done a smackdown on several people here a while ago.

6. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

^ This.

Mutai would have closed, locked, and firebombed every thread in here by now. :p

7. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

I can't believe this whole shit storm has been allowed to continue for so long. :wtf:

8. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I think I have a bit more of a laissez faire approach than my predecessors and fellow TrekBBS moderators: if it's a shit storm in any particular thread, people can simply stop making it a shit storm. Posters actually have some agency in how much of a shit storm they make a thread. For example, a post that says nothing but "I can't believe this whole shit storm has been allowed to continue for so long :wtf:" is probably off-topic from the "Star Trek: Axanar" thread subject matter.

Of course, being uncomfortably heated and contentious are not actually against the board rules. But I would remind posters of this related rule:

"Flames:

"Obviously, you cannot insult other people, You may disagree with someone's opinion, but you may not attack the person themselves for posting that opinion. Don't respond to a flame with a flame. You cannot flame people and then claim to have just been defending yourself. If you have a complaint, notify a moderator rather than responding yourself."

Like I said last week upthread:

"When the discussion remains about Axanar, I keep the thread open. When the discussion devolves into merely a discussion about the discussion or about fellow Forum participants, I close the thread due to the comments no longer being on-topic or significantly contributive.

"Fair warning."

Be the change you want to see in the Thread.

9. MarsWeeps

MarsWeeps Fleet Captain Premium Member

Hasn't that criteria already been met? This thread is currently 108 pages long. I don't follow it religiously but I pop in from time to time to check on all fan productions, I love what all the different groups have done and have planned.

For some reason, maybe it's just my timing, but every time I check on this thread, it seems that there's a lot of sniping going on, particularly attacking Alec Peters. The only things I know about him is he is one of the main people involved in Axanar, he's going to play Garth and he was banned from this site. I'm almost tempted to go back and try to find his posts and see what actually caused the ban but I don't know if he posted under his name or a nickname.

At least one particular individual seems to have an axe to grind with Alec and it shows because of the negativity of the posts towards him and Axanar. Since Alec is no longer allowed to post and can't defend himself, is it really fair to continue the negativity towards him? I no longer have a Facebook account so I haven't checked out the Axanar site to see if he's sending people over here to stir up trouble or not.

All I know is that the quality of the posts in this thread seem to be going downhill every time I check in. I've seen other threads closed for things that appear to be so minor that I had to wonder if some of the mods are more harsh with some posters while giving more leeway to others.

In any event, I would like to see this thread take a turn for the better. It doesn't have to be all sunshine and rainbows but surely people can respectfully disagree and give constructive criticism without all the pot shots, especially when all they are doing is repeating themselves.

So, to get things moving in a more positive direction, can anyone tell me the status of the Axanar sets? What state of construction are they in (if they've even been started)? Has a final bridge design been chosen and does anyone have any pictures or drawings of what we can expect? I know Facebook is probably the place to go but I'd rather not experience the headache of another Facebook account.

Thanks!!

10. doubleohfive

It absolutely is fair, yes. In the interest of not derailing this thread further, anyone who might be interested in hearing why is welcome to private message me.

Agreed. I have no problem abiding by this approach and it is largely what I have tried to do.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2015
  11. subxinu

subxinu Lieutenant Red Shirt

My wife and I met the cast of Axanar at a local convention a few months back; they were all very friendly and quite passionate about the project. In attendance were Tony Todd, Kate Vernon, Richard Hatch, Gary Graham, J.G. Hertzler and Alec Peters. It was a blast to screen Prelude to Axanar with the cast in attendance and a room full of fellow Trekkies. There was a lengthy Q&A afterwards that didn't feel rushed like some other conventions we have been to. It was just good fun. :D

12. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

They have apparently just opened Ares studios, which I would guess means building of the actual sets is about to commence.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

So I was just watching the old trailer for Prelude and I saw some shots I think weren't actually in Prelude. (Fed ship firing repeatedly on a Klingon ship.)

Were these shots discarded? Saved for the film? Made specially for the trailer?

I'm not worried at all, of course. Just curious. :)

14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Is it perhaps the shot of the Armstrong and Newton firing at a Klingon ship, which showed up in the Star Trek: Rivals videogame trailer?
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKvA5tPZVUk[/yt]
    (Those are definitely tobiasrichter's movieverse Federation ship models, but is that MadMan1701A's Klingon Warbird too?)

15. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Huh, it does look similar! Definitely a different Klingon ship though.

16. tobiasrichter

tobiasrichter Lieutenant Red Shirt

Good eye King Daniel - I did the "Axanar" shots as well as the "Rivals" shots, but these are completely seperate projects, no shots were exchanged between those two projects.

The Klingon ship in the "Rivals" shot was a model made specifially for the game and had to be as close as possible to the Klingon seen in ST2009. The Federation ships have the JJ configuration (e.g. Kelvin warp nacelles).

We did a whole bunch of 3D models of ships and vehicles from the movie for the "Rivals" game - you can see a few of them on the "The Light Works" webpage (under illustration).

17. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the link! I especially love seeing the USS Kobayashi Maru up-close.:techman:

18. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

That's exciting! It would be a lot of fun to be part of that process.

19. doubleohfive

Indeed. It looks to be an impressive space put to good use by the production.

20. Red Omega

Red Omega Lieutenant

[​IMG]

At 16,000sf it is the largest facility dedicated to non-studio Trek, and the only one on the West Coast. It will be very interesting to see the sets they come up with, which they plan to keep up and use for their film cool and convention.

Both New Voyages and STC have roughly 11,000sf facilities, each with a full set of TOS sets, and The Oklahoma group has a bridge (formerly from Exeter).

Star Trek classic is alive and well with fandom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.