Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Marvel Now/ReEvolution Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

i wouldn't be surprised. i remember reading once that DeConnick wanted to retcon Carol's origin and remove all traces of Mar-Vell from her past.

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

That is still not going to make her a better character not with KSD's stale writing. Give the character to another creator.

3. Saga

agreed. i've tried to read her run several times and i just can't get into it. nevermind the whole mind wipe story that makes no sense and was never referenced during Infinity.

4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Rich is reporting that Jeff Lemaire is in line to take over the X-Titles from Bendis. He says he's unsure what exactly will happen with them but that Lemaire is in the running to succeed Bendis.

5. Fist McStrongpunch

Fist McStrongpunch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So sad to see Bendis leave the X-Men. He's been absolutely killing it and I hate to see him leave to go to Iron Man which I'm expecting to be much more like his less-than-stellar run with the Avengers.

6. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Bendis's x-Men wasn't amazing, but it was generally pretty good, even if I still think the "transporting X-Men from the past" thing was pretty stupid, and that none of the time traveling characters felt remotely like they were actually young versions of the original X-Men from the main Marvel universe. Jeff Lemire on the other hand I don't think has ever done anything very good, his Animal Man for DC was especially overrated. So, I really hope he doesn't get any Marvel titles.

7. Hound of UIster

That would be amazing news. Lemire is a great writer that deserve to get the A-list treatment and certainly better than someone like Humphries or Hopeless taking over.

8. Admiral_Young

Also because I was curious...I went back to see when Rich reported about Bendis...he actually broke the Bendis news two days from now three years ago in almost exactly the same manner so I trust this.

9. Hound of UIster

More on Marvel

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2015/06/11/the-gossip-of-new-york-mighty-marvel-meddling/

10. Admiral_Young

So sounds like Ike and company have been mandating stuff.

11. Hound of UIster

Oh undoubtedly. Though I thought the X-books was under their gaze too since Mike Marts had left the position as Executive Editor and X-book editor for a start-up.

12. Admiral_Young

Well I have hope with the report about Lemire that they've figured out what to do. As I mentioned, Rich broke the Bendis story in June of 2012 and Marvel confirmed and announced it in July of 2012. So I expect this to be announced just prior or at SDCC.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I've felt... neutral about Bendis X-Men. They're certainly readable but it just makes it painfully clear that he's only capable of writing one kind of dialogue and he just slaps it over every character he writes. Also, nothing ever happens in an individual issue :p

I'm afraid the only X-run I truly loved this century is Joss Whedon's. Morrison's was... bizarre and non-X-Men-y but artistically impressive.

14. Saga

Bendis X-Men was awful. the man simply can not write team books. glad to see him go.

15. Hound of UIster

Now if he would just leave GotG then it'd be perfect.

16. Admiral_Young

Yeah i have to admit that "Guardians" has been losing my interest lately. "Black Vortex" was pretty much pointless except for the destruction of Hala. He started off great but has waned the last several issues.

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The only reason to enjoy GOTG was the McNiven and Bradshaw art earlier on :lol:

18. Doctorwhovian

Doctorwhovian Fleet Captain

Regarding Cho being the Hulk, I can see it sort of working. He briefly became a Hulk of sorts in one of the crossovers (When a lot of the Avengers and X-men were also Hulkified). He basically became sort of a leader-like gamma creature, although with a much larger brain. (Speaking of the Leader, I think he's back to his green self and will probably play a part in upcoming storylines).

However, the comics have established that it's possible for Hulk characters to have more than one Gamma form. Apart from Rick and Betty, who had previous forms that were more brief (including Rick having a brief run as a savage green Hulk before Peter David took over), the Hulk himself is a good example. Although many of the Hulk personas have the basic 'body' of the classic savage Hulk, the Grey Hulk (Who in additon to the different color, was for the most part was more stocky, uglier with a huge Neanderthal/Frankinstein's monster style brow, especially when drawn by Mcfarlane) and Merged/Professor hulk (Who had a more human face) both appeared largely physically distinct.

19. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I just finished reading Fraction and Brubaker's Immortal Iron Fist for the first time and enjoyed it immensely. I loved the look at the history of the Iron Fist throughout the ages and the history of the Immortal Weapons and the Cities of Heaven.

My question to the group-mind is this-- was there ever and follow-up or resolution to the sub-plot of the Eighth City or the revelation that all holders of the Iron Fist are destined to die at 33?

20. Hound of UIster

Yes the followup by the next writer just wasn't very good iirc.