Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

You mean this?

http://screenrant.com/agents-of-shield-blue-alien-kree/

For my part, I think the scratch on the alien's chest is just a random battle wound.

2. Non Sync

Non Sync Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hiding from the NARA, I've said too much...
    When I saw them closing the lid on Garrett, I thought he would be coming back before the end of the episode.

Him getting vaporized was about as good as SLJ getting it in Deep Blue Sea.

3. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

A random battle wound of one perfectly vertical line and two horizontal ones running perpendicular to it? (And that matches the same general style of the writing both Garrett and Coulson were scribing?)

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Well, the show pretty much redeemed itself for me with this episode. The conversation between Coulson and Fury was everything I was hoping for-- Fury saved Coulson, not because he is an alien or an 086 or the Chosen One or his coming was foretold in the scrolls of prophecy, but just because he's a really good person. Coulson is the reason I watched this show to begin with and that kind of blue-skies philosophy is what made me love it. I can forgive a few haywire moments for that. And Coulson now has his mandate-- and a mysterious toolbox-- to rebuild SHIELD.

The entire subplot about Fitz and Simmons, from the moment she woke up to Fury pulling them out of the ocean like a Deus Ex Machina, was wonderful. I loved the conversation about the afterlife, I loved them realizing that certain death was a problem they could solve, I loved Fitz's confession, and I loved Gemma's reaction. The only thing I didn't love was the implication that Fitz is not completely okay. They better not screw him up. And if they do, they better have a way to fix him.

I'm glad they acknowledged in-story that Ward is just a puppy dog for Garrett. It's good that he's in custody, but I'd rather he was dead and gone (nothing against the actor-- I feel kind of bad for him). The showdown with May was pretty cringe-worthy, but it was the only bad moment in the episode, really.

I got a big kick out of Deathlok disappearing into the shadows to make amends. That was surely a classic Marvel Comics moment. And it was great when he got that text message from his son and blasted Garrett a fraction of a second later-- that was satisfying to watch. :D

And we've got some stuff to wonder about for next season, other than Fitz's health. Raina apparently knows Skye's daddy. And Coulson seems to understand the symbols that Garrett was drawing-- and he, too, would rather scratch them on a wall than use pencil and paper. I'm thinking Kree.

Anyway-- really nice. I'll rewatch it when I get the chance. And I'm back to getting the DVD set again. :rommie:

5. .:: TSN ::.

.:: TSN ::. Captain Captain

Was thinking about other Whedon shows and thought up one instance where it wasnt entirely bad thing to shake things up even with already good characters. In Angel Fred was a great, but Illyria was even better :) After all Fitz as we know him did get pretty great last scene. "Dying" by saving woman he loves.

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glenn Quinn who played Doyle (from Angel) died in 2002!

That character was set up just to be knocked down.

I wonder if he was told going in, that the role was limited.

7. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

More importantly, it perfectly lines up with Ronan the Accuser's symbol.

8. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Back to the Garret dying scene, did anybody really think Deathlok killed him in one shot? Garret was a "Deathlok" himself, plus on space meth makes him super hard to kill. But the editing was jumpy, I'll agree with that.

Did anyone think an Ultron head was going to be the last part installed on Garret when that machine was rebuilding him? When I saw that body, that's the first thing that popped in my mind.

Also, I'm suprised that no one mentioned Fury basically infered that Coulson is an Avenger.

I have no complaints. I just hope Fitz doesnt turn into Modok. I want Modok to show up, really bad, but I want him to be a straight villian, not a tragic bad guy.

9. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

^^ This!! :bolian:

I loved that Samuel L Jackson wasn't "too big" to make an appearance on a TV show. His presense rather than someone just talking about him really made this episode (and season) for me.

I didn't read much Marvel Comics as a kid, but I really am looking forward to learning about Skye's "parents" and what she really is.

... and to think, I wanted Skye to get schwacked for most of this season... now I'm glad she's part of the team.

I'm still on the fence WRT Ward... he's committed many sins, but I can see them taking him back... who knows I guess.

I thought Garrett was going to become another supervillon... then...

"SPLAT" :guffaw:

Can't wait for the next season to start and looking forward to seeing how they keep this series interlinked with all the Marvel movies.

For a series that started really slow (I thought) it really came on at the end of this season.

10. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

The kill shot was Deathlok crushing (what I think was) his head with his robotic leg. I could believe they thought he was dead.

11. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

SLJ was great. The problem is, Coulson suffers by comparison - the character, in my opinion, is more sidekick than lead.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

No, because I remembered seeing an image of the comics' Garrett, who has a fully metallic body beneath a human head. So I recognized that this was Garrett becoming that version of himself at last -- for all of ten seconds.

No, we saw Garrett's head intact afterward, but there was a big wound in his chest, which is presumably where Deathlok's foot came down.

13. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I would agree, specifically the 1st 3/4's of the season. But I think he was "warmed" up to being the lead and the actor and character have progressed.

14. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amazing finale, it had it all!

What a turn around from half a season ago, I was almost ready to quit, now this is one of my favourite shows on TV right now.

15. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Utterly disagree. I wanted Ward's ass kicked and May provided that with interest. :D

16. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I guess the cringe comes from the PC moment of a 50 year old woman, even The Cavalry, taking down a fighting man in his prime. Perhaps the Berserker staff made her into a Buffy, but we would have had to come to the conclusion on our own from seeing that particular episode.

17. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

That's kind of the whole point of her character, though. She's practically a super-soldier without the serum.

18. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ward might be stronger, but May is smarter (well, except when it comes to relationships). She's had at 10 more years on Ward, not including anything her mom taught her.

Ward was in the wilderness for 5 years, but not sure what kind of self defense he learned. Then his 10 years, with at least several months undercover (and not able to learn more skills).

May sounded like she might have learned other techniques for endurance.

---

Overall, loved the episode. People say that the Amazing Spierman Spidey has quips. He seemed more like snarky. Coulson had quips.

Very fun episode for me...and Garrett's death was shocking...i was expecting it to be a set up for next season, not such an immediate end.

Raina is such an interesting villain. Can't wait to see what's going on with her & Skye's Dad.

By the way... Skye & Rain (ah)... so is her dad named Sun??

19. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Would you have preferred the cliche moment of his ex-boss going super ninja on him? Or his young protege?

Look, somebody had to hand him his ass. May was right there and was most qualifed and motivated. And it's not like she owned him. He got plenty of shots in. She just got in the last ones.

20. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think he's kind of a boring lump either way.