Marvel All New, All Different - Ongoing Discussion (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, May 30, 2010.

1. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I assume that this will be Jean 2.0? Nah. No thanks. Bendis did the one thing I would have once never thought possible. He made me hate Jean Grey. The time-displaced X-Men would have made for a great concept if Bendis had had any idea what to do with them once they arrived. At this point, they've more than worn out their welcome.

I used to love the X-Men, but they have been stuck in such an irreversible death-spiral ever since Dark Reign, that I honestly don't even care any more.

In fact, I'm gonna go out on a limb a just say that so far, the entire Axel Alonso era has been pretty much a bust. I'm down to the fewest Marvel books a month that I have been for years. Given that both Ant-Man and Mockingbird had their final issues today, I'm now down to only Agents of SHIELD, Black Widow, Power Man and Iron Fist, Totally Awesome Hulk, Dr. Strange, Jessica Jones and Champions. No X-books, no Avengers books, no Spider-books...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  2. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i have no interest in the time displaced OG X-Men. to me they are taking away facetime from other mutants who have no title.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I can't even remember the last time I truly enjoyed the X-Men, aside from Joss Whedon's brief run. Back in high school my obsession with Claremont's X-Men. It was my long standing quest to read every single issue of his run.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  4. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I love the X-Men, but I tired of the time traveling ones when the second book with them started. Jean is ok in the X-Men book she just guest stars in (Extraordinary X-Men, I think) but I don't bother with the All New X-Men book anymore (and I love the X-Men enough that its hard to make me skip a book). I'll probably try out the Jean grey book, but I'd have preferred to see the original Jean brought back and given a book. Jokes about Jean dying and getting resurrected aside, I think she's actually stayed dead longer and been brought back less then some of the other Marvel heroes, and technically she might not actually be dead (if the writers remember Phoenix Warsong/Endsong mini-sieres, Jean isn't actually dead, just containing part of the phoenix force in another dimension). Whatever her condition, I'd be excited if this book was with the normal Jean Grey instead of the time displaced one, but I'll give it a try regardless.

As for mjolnir's origin, that is moronic. Jason Aaron almost likes retconning things as much as Bendis, with similarly stupid results. I really hope Aaron doesn't become another Dan Slott and become THE TRhor writer forever. Hopefully he'll eventually leave and then the next writer can...unretcon(?) all the stupid crap he's been doing (along with giving the real Thor his arm, name and hammer back).

5. Turtletrekker

I recently finished re-reading the entirety of Claremont's X-Men run, including his work on New Mutants, Excalibur, Wolverine, Classic X-Men vignettes, various minis, events and relevant crossovers. Also included were significant portions of Louise Simonson's X-Factor and New Mutants runs, and stuff written by Claremont for other books that was relevant to his X-Men run (Spider-Woman 37-38, Avengers Annual 10 Iron Fist 15). It was quite a ride and underscored just how bad the X-Men books have become.

[​IMG]

Mr Light and M.A.C.O. like this.
  6. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i've been doing a similar reread starting with Marvel Masterworks X-Men and also reading random stuff i haven't looked at in ages like X-Cutioner's Song and the Outback era.

Turtletrekker likes this.
  7. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Marvel's been pretty meh lately. I'm enjoying some of the "fringe" books like Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur, Power Man and Iron Fist, Scarlet Witch and Ant-Man. The core books aren't clicking for me though. They aren't horrible, but I find myself not caring much about the characters. They seem to be using the same trick over and over again: Lets make character X take the code name of character Y. Then character Y takes the codename back and we have multiple codename Ys. Not sure if grouping heroes by type is good approach: minority team, all female team. Plus the teams don't seem well defined. Many characters are in multiple teams. They can pop up anywhere. I kind of like a more solid approach to membership. Their push on Inhumans and Captain Marvel don't seem to be working out. How many number ones and new creative teams, new approach has Captain Marvel has in the last five years? Maybe if they "rested" the character for a while they might find an approach that works. I guess with a movie in the pipe, they want her out there. That was probably the approach with Inhumans as well. But that film seems to be canceled and AOS is their outlet for live action Inhumans right now.

8. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I really hope the Inhumans stick around. I was a fan before they were pushed because of the movies, and I'm still a fan. I miss the recently cancelled All New Inhumans. I just wish them getting the spotlight didn't come with Marvel screwing over the mutants again.

As for the core books, I was going to disagree, but I just realized that Invincible Iron man is ending and kicking Tony out of the role for that irritaiting college student, so that's a core book I'll be dropping. I don't read Lady Thor, and I dropped both Captain America books after Steve was brainwashed to be a nazi (and it is brainwashing, even if Spencer tried to claim it isn't by a technicality), so that's two arguably core books (if we take movie popular characters as the "core" books). The Avengers books have been hit or miss, with the Baby avengers being mediocre, the Uncanny avengers ok and the New Avengers (with basically no big names since Hawkeye left, making it pretty far from a core book) being great.

So, i guess a lot of the core stuff isn't great right now. Still, I like Civil War II well enough, and its a core book thing. But, Marvel really is stronger with the B-list and lower books right now, except even if they're high quality they get cancelled quicker (like Mockingbird, which was weird butr really good and just ended this week).

9. Solid Snack

Solid Snack Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I wonder if it's possible this could be a 'merged' Jean of some kind. They did kind of do a similar thing in the 80's, with Madelyne Pryor's persona and part of the Phoenix with it being re-absorbed back into the 'real' Jean. Also happened with Iron Man, when "Teen Tony" died he pretty much was incorporated into the reborn Tony Stark.

I'm kind of curious if it's the original Jean, and if the original Wolverine comes back as well, what they're going to do with that whole love triangle now that Cyclops (well, the older one) seems to be dead.

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, these are ResurrXion books, so I'm assuming at least one dead character will be coming back. The fact one of the first books announced is Jean's and that the promo seems to feature mostly OG Jean makes me think there's a pretty good chance she's the resurrectee.

11. Solid Snack

Seems they're kind of trying to keep the fans guessing-hence all the "Generation X" stuff featuring all the young mutants teams from over the years, and the Cable image featuring a bit of X-man....

12. Nerys Myk

The X-Men Blue image seems to feature the original line up. While the Gold is the 70s/80s All New All Different lineup.

13. Solid Snack

So Blue might either be a continuation of the "All-New" team, or perhaps, something like the original X-factor-depending on which versions of the heroes they're using. There's at least two images in the blue shot from the old X-factor comics.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

Marvel pretty much lost me at the start of this decade and I was dropping titles I had been following for 20 years left and right. But gradually, I've been coming back into the fold, but not with any of their mainstays. Tried earlier to get back into the X-Men--which used to be my favorite books--but none of them clicked with me. After reading a few interviews about moving the X-Men away from an endangered species and maybe back to basics, I have high hopes for Resurrxion.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Marvel has a new gay superhero. :)

It's D-Man.

I can't see this making waves.

16. Nerys Myk

Is that a new thing? I thought maybe I missed something in my sabbatical from comics.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I checked online, and there were a few "Look who's coming out" articles that were posted a couple days ago. This is good for the character, since he's been on the receiving end of a lot of #### over the years.

18. Turtletrekker

Looking back, this makes a certain amount of sense. Back in Steve Rogers "The Captain" era, when he was teamed up with Falcon, D Man, Nomad and Vagabond, Dennis seemed completely oblivious to the fact that Vagabond was attracted to him. And Nomad's attitude towards Dennis at the time is certainly in character with a man from the 50s towards a gay man.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2016
  19. Turtletrekker

Confirmed. X-Men Blue will feature the time displaced original X-Men as written by Cullen Bunn, and sees the kids seek tutelage from Magneto. While X-Men Gold will be written by Marc Guggenheim and essentially feature the team from circa UXM 200 until the Mutant Massacre (Kitty, Storm, Colossus, Nightcrawler, "Wolverine", and Rachel Summers, now going by the name "Prestige"), the major differences will be that this team's "Wolverine" will be the time-displaced Old Man Logan and the team will be led by Kitty.

I do like that Cullen Bunn is considering things like the fact that the kids really do have to go back sometime. I liked the idea of the time-displaced O5 as a finite story, but resolution has to come at some point.

Marvel recently lost me near completely. The only monthly I'm still buying right now is Jessica Jones. The MU is simply a totally unfamiliar place to me right now. The FF are gone. I haven't read Spider-Man since One Last Day. Who are the Avengers? Falcon is Cap, and Steve Rogers is HYDRA? Bruce Banner is dead. Tony Stark seems to be essentially dead. Hank Pym is dead. Jane Foster is Thor. Jan Van Dyne is no longer the Wasp. Now, I have no objection to any of these storylines in principal as replacement heroes are an old trick, but all of them at once?:scream:

These New X-Men books, at least, seem to be taking a desperately needed "back to basics" approach, something the Marvel line as a whole should seriously consider.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

So, I've felt this entire Civil War II story was a transparent attempt to cash in on the popularity of Civil War the comic and the movie and just wasn't very interesting. I kept waiting for it to jump up into something amazing, and it never happened. Part of the problem is the story just appeared out of nowhere (like Fear Itself) rather than have years of brilliant set up like Civil War or Secret Invasion or Siege.