Star Trek XI DVD - Preorder or not?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by darkshadow0001, Oct 26, 2009.

1. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure where to put this thread, but I thought this section of the forum would be more ideal.

So is any one pre-ordering their copy of Trek XI on DVD? I'm asking this because I'm wondering if it is even necessary, because I'm not sure if it's actually going to be a sell-out or not within a couple of weeks of its debut. I want it, but I'd be willing to wait if it does sell out.

Has anyone pre-ordered the disc yet or just going to take their chances when it comes out?

2. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

It is good to still have friends. A dear, connected friend sent me an advance copy of the DVD. I have been enjoying it for a couple of weeks now. My brother also plans to give me a DVD for Christmas. Knowing him, he will buy it the week it is released. I plan to leave my brother's copy unopened until needed. (I am hoping he splurges on the one with the 4 badges.)

3. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

I'll just hit up Best Buy or a store of ilk the day it is released.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

A film like this will probably have a hundred copies in every store right when street date hits. So I don't really see the need to preorder. In fact, I never do.

5. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never had a hard time finding a copy of a major release when it comes out, or anytime within a month or two of then. Or longer.
    That said, the day it comes out, I go from work to Target to home, in that order.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

And even if your local store(s) has no copy of a disc you're looking for - *that's* when you go looking on places like Amazon. What DVD ever sold completely out on its first day of release?

7. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I didn't preorder it because i was afraid i wouldn't get it for a few days to a week if i did (if i understand correctly, it is released nov 17, so if you pre-order it from say, Amazon, you still have to wait for it to be shipped and wait for arrival.) So i plan on hitting Best Buy (or Costco, they are within minutes from each other here)...cos i want it THAT NIGHT!

8. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I'll move this to Trek XI.

9. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It won't sell out. I'd only consider a pre-order for a DVD if there was some awesome exclusive attached to it.

10. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

I'm probably just gonna wait until the day it comes out.

11. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

So, which package is the best one to get? Assuming blu-ray, is there more than one blu-ray package to choose from?

12. startrekrcks

startrekrcks Fleet Captain

I am getting it on 2 disc can three weeks come closer please

13. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I think I'll preorder it on blu-ray because I dislike going to big box stores.

14. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I pre-order about 99% of my movie/book/music purchases (and that's a lot considering I have 1000+ DVDs and 100+ Blu-Ray). I really hate going to box stores (and their prices generally are a good bit more than online prices). Plus, free shipping and no tax at stores like Amazon or DeepDiscount make it a no-brainer for me.

15. Yeoman Randi

^ Last few times i ordered something from Amazon i was charged tax. I guess it is a state by state thing?

16. MvRojo

Yeah, they charge tax in Kansas, Kentucky, New York, North Dakota, and Washington.

17. Yeoman Randi

Yup. So sometimes, depending whether or not i am getting free shipping from amazon (if i dont make that $25 minimum) it is actually cheaper to go to my local BB or Costco. I don't really have a problem with the big stores (except for wallyworld which is really pissing me off these days with their bombardment of television ads).

18. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

I'll decide when it comes out.

19. MvRojo

I don't hate the stores per se; I hate the ordeal of getting to one in L.A. traffic.

20. Yeoman Randi

:techman:^ Ohhhhh gotcha!