I Want This as a Star Wars Film Now

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Locutus of Bored, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT.

Many people here are saying that they want this into a movie and/or wish this was one of the prequels, yet if that were the case, it would be bashed to high heavens.

2. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

As much as I enjoyed the prequels, I still think they're the worse end of the Star Wars franchise (outside 90% of the EU that is). I was expecting Anakin to be this sympathetic "brother" a hero figure that had a fall from grace-- basically what Obi-Wan set up in Episode IV. Instead we got Emo Anakin that I just wanted to smack up the side the head and say "Get a pair you whiny little bitch". Clone Wars Anakin has been somewhat of a improvement, but still a long ways to go.

3. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

The fanboy stuff would be using sexy females (Boba lady and the Twi'Lek) and the "Our time is at hand" old crap.
    Dozens of lightsabers doesn't help much either.
    Anyone who liked this should have had no problem with Episode II whatsoever.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

I would agree with that if you're talking purely visual. Writing on the other hand...

...well can't say about the game, but Episode II, I was cheering for the seps to finally put a end to emo-boy.

5. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I would say that if it's considered "old" that is only because it was used in the PT. Replace the PT with this, and it's not so old because it doesn't seem so repetitive.

It didn't really seem to help the PT for that matter, so the point is uncontested.

Now that's a bit silly. Without some quality writing, a film based upon what we've seen in this trailer wouldn't fare any better than the PT. The presumption is that the needed quality would be there. Personally, I like the set up in story here and feel it would make for a very engrossing tale, augmented by the special effects.

6. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Actually, war typically breeds innovation. I'd say years of peace without any threat of outside power would lead to stagnation. The Clone Wars led to the development of the Death Star, afterall, which appears to have been an innovation.

The Old Republic can be very fascinating and I hope the story in this game does it justice. I won't be playing it because I'm broke, but I wish them the best of luck ;)

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

WOW...that was an awesome trailer! Indeed this would make a fine movie...complicated with a long post-production time but pretty damn cool.

8. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

Awesome trailer but I'm so sick of the obsession with the Sith. I look forward to many Sith meeting their demise on the end of my lightsaber (in game of course).

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Amen, brother!

10. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Amen, Jedi for life!

There is no emotion, there is peace.
    There is no ignorance, there is knowledge.
    There is no passion, there is serenity.
    Watermelon, cantaloupe, yadda-e-yadda
    Erm...superstitious and cowardly lot.
    With liberty and justice for all!.

11. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't get how people think this is great but Clone Wars is bad. I mean, Clone Wars is just this over twenty 30 minute episodes. Mindless violence with no plot. :p

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Great trailer. I love all things Sith and that dude was definitely badass. Was the Twi'lek female a Sith too?

This game looks like it will be pretty cool, but I felt the same way about The Force Unleashed. I didn't play that game, but I read the TPB and wound up not being that impressed with the story.

13. Trent Roman

Trent Roman Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

From experience with Bioware's KotOR games, I trust that there will be plot and world-building, and that it will be good, too. Also, the people looked like people and not wooden marionettes.

Allied to the Sith, but not a Sith herself, I wouldn't think. She never used a saber or force powers, just her blasters, and had no physical signs of dark side usage. This may have no relevance whatsoever... but with the Sith being accompanied by two companion, the Twi'lek sharpshooter and Mandalorian soldier, it almost feels like one of KotOR's three-person parties.

Fictitiously yours, Trent Roman

14. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

... Does Clone Wars have massive saber battles? (I'm talking at least five on each side.) 'Cause if it is, chances are I'll be happy.

15. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I'd like to thank the two of you for speaking on everyone's behalf, since they're clearly unable to do so themselves.

The term "fanboy" tends to get thrown around whenever someone deems something that they don't personally like wrong as if their opinion is fact, and forgets that they are themselves as much a "fanboy" as everyone or everything they are attempting to put down with the remark.

You're criticizing the use of dozens of lightsabers in a Sith assault on the Jedi Temple? Should they use slingshots?

What's wrong with having "sexy" female characters (CGI women don't do much for me) so long as you don't make them ridiculously overpowered? In this case they were fighting with blasters and the weapons on their armor respectively, and there was nothing out of the ordinary or over-the-top about their performance in the battle for what a woman of their size and with their equipment should be able to accomplish.

The "our time is at hand" criticism is just silly. The Sith and Jedi, while often somewhat melodramatic, do talk like that.

The difference between this and AotC is:

- The Jedi are fighting equally badass foes instead of flying roaches and dumbass robots.

- The reasons the Jedi are being slaughtered in this case are actually logical and based on cunning tactics, as opposed to them giving up the high ground in the stadium and reenacting Custer's Last Stand in the middle of the arena for no good reason.

- No droid comic relief. They scared me for a second when that droid started rolling up, but fortunately nothing came of it.

- No one mentioned how uncomfortable it is to get sand in their asscrack. Not one whiner in the bunch. Granted, only one guy spoke, but he could have started complaining about how the Jedi were holding him back in his evil accent.

I could go on.

From what I've read in the grading and discussion threads, Clone Wars has been fairly well-received (the movie was mediocre, but there were some really good episodes). I would also disagree with your characterization of the episodes, though that's subjective. Plus, how much plot do you expect in a four-minute clip? For what little time they had to work with I think they did a decent job.

16. firehawk12

firehawk12 Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^
    No, I'm one of the few people who LIKES the new Clone Wars... and I'm a freak who despises the old 2D Clone Wars cartoon.
    But this trailer was just generic crap blowing up and - more importantly - looks NOTHING like the game it's meant to promote.
    It was the very definition of a vapid promo trailer. To hit all the male nerd bases, they might as well have had naked women kissing each other just for the hell out of it.

But I'll happily admit that the trailer did what it was supposed to do - hype the hell out of the game. We'll see if it actual amounts to anything though... as I posted in that E3 thread, I have my doubts.

I'm like the old BSG or Trek or Fallout fan here - I'm pissed off that these people are shitting on the old games and not continuing the story and instead trying to go for a cash cow that they can milk indefinitely.

I have a love-hate thing with BioWare otherwise... since they do some interesting things that they just don't take to the next level. In a BioWare world, people are either REALLY GOOD or REALLY BAD.
    I want Dragon Age to be good but I'm close to writing it off... and while I'm all hyped up for Mass Effect 2, especially since they're teasing this game-changing ending, I'm also prepared to be let down.

They say they want to do a story-focused MMO. I still think that is an oxy-moron because you'll have 1000 ultimate master Jedis and 1000 Boba Fetts and 1000 super soldiers and 1000 Han Solos, all of whom are supposed to be as important as Luke Skywalker or Vader. I'm willing to be proven wrong and I might even break my "never play an MMO" rule for this game, but we'll see.

Honestly, why I like the show is that it takes away all the Jedi garbage. I know it's just me, but Jedi in Star Wars are just boring now and showing real grunts is a welcome change to the "Skywalker of the week stories" that take place in the rest of the EU.

But, there's the typical one on one, two on one Jedi battles to answer your question.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  17. Can't wait for this game. Great MMO gameplay + Bioware's great storytelling = win all around.

The scene with the armies of Jedis and Sith is pretty cool also. Haven't ever seen that in onscreen Star Wars.

One of the things I read about this game, was that each "class" (Jedi, Bounty Hunter, etc etc) would have its own unique story. So your experience playing as one class is completely different than the other. If you think about it, it's not as complicated as it sounds, you just create 4 or 6 through-lines.

Add in the fact that most MMO'ers really only spend time with one or two characters , you've got a pretty long unique experience.

18. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Amen to that!!! This could just as easily have been set in the TPM/AOTC/ROTS era (or even later) - and it would look *NO DIFFERENT*.

A staggering lack of imagination.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The difference is: this is a trailer. One generally assumes that an actual story will exist in the full version.

20. Anthony Sabre

Anthony Sabre Commodore Commodore

I'm with you in looking forward to playing it. I just wonder, how many people will we see playing non force users? :lol: