Timeline branching going forward *spoilers*

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Makarov, Sep 10, 2013.

1. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know there's been differences between this timeline so far and the prime one. So far though, the movie plots have kept the characters pretty much status quo.

For instance, for a moment I thought they might kill off Kirk, or have crew members actually leave the Enterprise for good.

I'm curious if you guys think they will use the "different timeline" in a major way going forward? Killing a major character, making Kirk/Spock turn evil, etc... or do you think they will try to avoid changing up the crew?

2. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Aside from little things? No. Not likely.

Why? Star Trek is a franchise, and much like James Bond you can't really bend it too far before it goes outside of an audience comfort zone. Unfortunate, but I think very true.

They would never kill Kirk off. Scotty would never stay gone. McCoy will never not be awesome. It's just the way it's gotta be.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm guessing a third movie and then an animated series featuring the core crew. I don't think they'll kill anyone but one of the support characters is a possibility.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I did too. It was only later that I realized how absurd that thought had been, from a financial standpoint if nothing else.

5. Makarov

Makarov Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why's that? Once word hit the net that Kirk dies in the movie it would get a ton of word of mouth increasing ticket sales. Plus I could see Spock carrying his own movie for the 3rd one.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

If indeed it is the end of this iteration of the franchise, I'd like to see the third movie totally obliterate the status quo, much like X-Men III: The Last Stand did.

(and yes, that means Spock using his Adamantium claws to kill Kirk, who's gone totally insane from his Khan bood transfusion.)

7. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I doubt anyone would believe Kirk would stay dead. Even if Kirk had stayed dead in STID, we'd spend the next 3 years with threads on how he's coming back, even more accusations of copying and rehashing etc etc
    And of course Pine is signed for 2 more movies.

8. YellowSubmarine

YellowSubmarine Vice Admiral Admiral

Let me see.

Canon dictates parallel development, mirror universes, mirror Earths and humanoids all over the place.
    Physics dictates butterfly effects, domino effects, genitalia on the elbows and total departure.

You can't have it both ways, so whichever way they go, there'd be plenty to be outraged about. Logic dictates I'll be proudly handing my resignation as a Star Trek fan... :vulcan:

...unless we get Captain Braxton to reintegrate the timelines. :eek: Though that would be a paradox, wouldn't it?

Oh boy, what would it be when they branch the timeline for the next reboot? Double the havoc, triple the fun.

9. Set Harth

They've killed Kirk before.

It didn't go over well.

10. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

You have a blown up (well, kinda) Vulcan, a Federation that nearly went to war with itself, an incoming war with the Klingons, a crew together years before they were supposed to be, a different Enterprise, etc etc.

What more do you want?

11. Ketrick

Ketrick Commander Red Shirt

I think it's possible that a character will be shown or, at least, hinted to be gay or bisexual. In fact, I read somewhere that that is in fact being considered for the next film. If it happens, my guess is the character in question would be Sulu, which, in my opinion, would be somewhat fitting as a tribute to George Takei.

12. Set Harth

:rolleyes: Well, at least we know that he reproduced in the Prime timeline...

13. Ketrick

True, but Sulu being gay or bisexual could be due in part to the branching. Also, it's possible that Demora was adopted or that Sulu was bi in the prime timeline.

14. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

I say let the Enterprise discover the Gorn. That would make for a pretty cool movie.

15. Set Harth

Didn't they already have the Gorn show up in a video game? McCoy even makes a reference to them during the film.

16. Ketrick

Another divergence I think could be possible in a future movie is that instead of Sulu becoming captain of the USS Excelsior, he becomes captain of a new USS Kelvin and this new Kelvin is the Alternate Reality Starfleet's "Great Experiment".

17. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

I think it's pretty clear...

This is not a new timeline, it's the prime timeline that was affected by Nero's incursion.

18. Trevacious

Trevacious Captain Captain

I imagine Chekov running back to his quarters and doffing that red shirt as quickly as possible.

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

"Keptain, I'll be happy to help run Engineering, But, I'll be damned if I'm leaving the ship wearing this color shirt"

20. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Logic dictates that timeline branching happened when Sphere-bulders got the Xindi to attack Earth, and that's the timeline Nero's (Spock's) wormhole led to, not the one TOS took place in.