Would post-Empire New Republic accept a New Jedi Order?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turd Ferguson, Jan 30, 2013.

1. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This thought occurred to me today as I am still excited about a Star Wars: Episode VII. So far, we know nothing about the plot, who will be involved, etc. All we know is that supposedly it will deal with Luke Skywalker resurrecting the Jedi Order and some adventures in a post-Empire galaxy.

My question is, how would the New Republic react to a New Jedi Order? Shouldn't they be terrified? Take Revenge of the Sith. Chancellor Palpatine tells the entire Senate that the Jedi tried to assassinate him and overthrow the Republic. Everyone in the Senate chamber seemed to accept this with no argument and had no qualms with Palpatine's plan to exterminate any remaining Jedi. In fact, the only person who seemed to realize that the Jedi were innocent was Bail Organa, who, as far as we know, was on Alderaan when it exploded.

So, in the view of the newly dissolved Empire, shouldn't there be some form of apprehension or fear in allowing an organization to reform that could have to potential to try to overthrow the new government again? In fact, to an average citizen, it could be argued that the Jedi finally succeeded in assassinating Palpatine when Luke blew up the Death Star II, therefore giving credibility to what he was telling the Senate.

Also, I know from a movie standpoint we know that the Emperor was actually a Sith Lord named Darth Sidious, who was only in it for the power, but to an unassuming citizen, it could very well be the regional governors and Grand Moffs that were the evil douchebags going around blowing up planets and killing civilians and Rebels. It seems the people are trading in one form of evil for another. Did the public even know or care that Palpatine was a Dark Lord of the Sith, the enemy of the Jedi Order?

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think the Emperor's tyranny pretty much speaks for itself to most of these questions.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Given how much the Empire demonized and hunted the Jedi, the New Republic would have accepted the Jedi Order with open arms and as a symbol of their own legitimacy.

4. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I guess we'll find out in 2015.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Given that the hero of the rebellion was a Jedi, and he personally killed the tyrants that were running the Empire, I'd think the Jedi would be welcomed back just fine.

Only recent example they have of a Jedi is Luke. Go back a little, and next most recent is Obi-Wan sacrificing himself to help destroy the Death Star, so looks like good examples to rebuild from.

So, Luke's the hero, Leia's his twin sister (and also showed the beginnings of some latent ability in ROTJ), Han's hooking up with Leia and in tight with both of them anyway, and looks like the new leaders are pretty Pro-Jedi...

6. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

I haven't read any of the novels so I don't know if this is covered in them. I would think that certain worlds that sign up for the New Republic would be OK with the reestablishment of the Jedi system. I also think that many of the worlds that were going to leave with the Trade Federation will go once they are freed. Those worlds might not be so friendly to the Jedi as they fought them in the Clone Wars. Memories can be long where civil wars are concerned (see Yugoslavia) I really hope some of this is in the new film!

7. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think it's essentially this.

IMO, the Jedi were largely revered as peacekeepers and mediators in the pre-Empire era.

8. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But people can be extremely ignorant sometimes. And this is a civilization that allowed a cartoon rabbit to basically give Palpatine total control and turn the Republic into a dictatorship. Chancellor Palpatine was extremely popular, given the reaction to Jar Jar's proposal and, later, Palpatine's formation of the Empire.

It's pretty likely that most of the Empire did have a problem with the Emperor, but, based on onscreen evidence (not counting novels), the Empire never really interfered with any planet (or mining colony) unless they started harboring Rebel Alliance dignitaries or offspring of Jedi. Lando Calrissian himself even stated he ran a pretty shady operation at Bespin that the Empire ignored until he came into contact with Han, Leia and Luke.

The common planet with no Rebel ties (especially the Separatist planets), I think, should be extremely wary of the Jedi regaining a foothold in New Republic affairs.

9. C.E. Evans

People can fear anything, but I still think the Jedi were looked more favorably upon than not.

10. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, 20,000 years (give or take, how old were they already in KOTOR?) worth of doing good vs. 30 years of bad press and rumors, I'm sure the Jedi would bounce back just fine.

11. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the jedi took children from their parents and taught them that all emotion will lead to evil. kids growing up to believe that love is a bad thing. fuck the jedi.

12. C.E. Evans

I always thought that was one of the biggest misconceptions about the Jedi. I don't believe the Jedi teaches younglings that love is bad at all, but that having extremely strong attachments--the kind of which they put above their duties--can compromise their objectivity and endanger both themselves and others during a mission. I think that would warrant such a Jedi to be expelled from the order.

But I also think the Jedi Order has changed numerous times since its inception and that the version we saw during the prequel trilogy reflects just one period of the Order. During earlier times, there probably were married Jedi with children.

As far as taking children from their parents, I thought they could do so only with their parents' consent?

13. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

By the time we meet the Order in TPM, they've essentially made a vow of chastity and celibacy mandatory. The Jedi council at the time seemed to be operating from a very conservative and fearful perspective, so such a "recommendation" of earlier eras may have slowly transformed into a requirement (except for special cases like Ki Adi Mundi who was part of an endangered species) as the politics of the order shifted this way or that.

The kids thing likewise is "optional" for parents to turn over their kids, with the decision fueled by the suggestion that their child may become dangerous and impossible to control if they learn to access their abilities without the proper training and discipline. In the days when the Jedi population and power is waning, their means of persuasion might become quite forceful.

14. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

As the books establish in various ways, there will always be people who resent or fear the Jedi, just as there will always be those who respect or even revere them.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Personally I'm hoping the new movies don't make the Jedis (or the creation of a new Jedis Order) the main focus of the story. We already saw more than enough of them and their Jedi code in the prequels, which turned out to be not such a great thing after all.

Not to mention the heavy focus they've gotten in TCW...

I'd rather just go back to the ragtag group of characters again, with just one of them that happens to be a Jedi.

And surely it's possible to come up with a worthy villain in SW who's not an emporor or Sith Lord...

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Agreed, Mister James.

Even just having Luke and the beginnings of his new order on the fringes of the story would be plenty for me. A Thrawn/Daala villain would be a breath of fresh air.

17. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

The plural of Jedi is Jedi.

18. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

the plural of yeti is yetis

19. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

I agree. I haven't read any EU novels, but I was under the impression that the New Jedi Order that Luke creates is run substantially differently from the archaic stuffy one of Yoda and Windu that we see in the prequels.

20. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The conflict between the good and evil as embodied in the war between the Sith and Jedi is at the center of the Star Wars Saga. You can't have SW without a Sith Lord.