The first single you purchased

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Mary Ann, May 9, 2010.

1. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

Blinded By The Light by Manfred Mann. And yes, I bought it new.

2. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

VERY nice! Now there's a memory!
    I'm sure my daughter wouldn't know what it was either.

Pretty sure my first single was "She Loves You" by the Beatles (would anyone have NOT recognized the song if i had just mentioned the title and not the artist? If so, get offa my lawn!)

Once, around the time my daughter was 12 we walked into an antiques store and they had a dial telephone. My daughter actually asked me how was it used. :scream:

3. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

They still SELL singles?!?

4. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

Hee, my kids would know, but only because their dad has an impressive vinyl collection.

A few years ago my husband was taking an LP off the record player and my daughter's friend, then about 11, said, "Wow, that's a large CD!" The look on the face of my 40-something husband was priceless. :lol:

5. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the only single I ever bought was Batdance by Prince. I was all caught up in Bat-mania in 1989.

6. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

No idea. I stopped buying singles in the mid-1980s, when they reached $2 Canadian per record. By that time I always had a blank cassette in the stereo ready to tape any good song off the radio. Ah, the annoyance of DJs who would talk over the first and last bits of a record! :scream:

7. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

I think they do, only on CDs now. But i cannot swear to it.

8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

I never bought singles (why buy singles when for just a little bit more i get a whole album with that song on it?) but first album ever (vinyl) was by Whitney Houston from the 80s sometime (may have been her first album ever).

First CD though was a live CD from Genesis "The way we walk".. huge step up qualitywise and a sign i was improving my taste in music :p

9. mari

mari Captain Captain

Yes. We just got in the latest from Demi Lovato at my retail job. :rolleyes: They're usually in cardboard sleeves instead of jewel cases.

10. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

People still release 7 inch singles too, not so many, but picture discs and coloured vinyls are still made.

11. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

Robert Miles - Children. One hit wonder techno-ish song. Probably the only single I've bought as well :lol:

12. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

WHen I was buying singles, they were about $AU1.00 each. An album was around $AU5.95 each (1972-3). When you were getting $5/week pocket money, that was a very big difference.:lol:

13. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't remember my first single, but I had an awful lot of them. If I had to guess, I would say it was possibly The Grand Illusion by Styx.

Sadly I remember my first record, which was Shaun Cassidy... I was a big Hardy Boys fan back in the day, so that seemed like a cool choice. My second album, which I believe I bought mere days after the first was Bill Cosby's Himself, which was a much better choice.

If anyone cares, I bought my first CD player in the summer of 1988 and my first CDs were Journey Escape, and Joe Satriani Surfing with the Alien.

14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Really? Who still has a record player to play them on? :confused:

15. stoneroses

stoneroses Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You can still buy record players here for example http://www.richersounds.com/hifi

16. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ I was just looking at that actually :lol: They don't have anything I particularly want though.

Are you kidding? Record Players are still made, there are lots to choose from. I've bought 4 new release albums on vinyl in just the last year and am in the market for a new deck myself.

17. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

There are also record players and cassette players with computer connectivity to transfer such media to digital copies if you wish.

18. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

I don't think I've ever bought a single, and I'm not sure what the first music CD was. I haven't bought many of them.....

19. Trilliam

Trilliam Captain Captain

Any good Electronics store! (JB Hi Fi etc). We bought my husband a new one 2 or 3 Christmases ago.

20. Capn Flukie

Capn Flukie Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't a turntable (at least 2 of them and a microphone) standard gear for a DJ?