BLSSDWLF's TOS Enterprise WIP

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by blssdwlf, Apr 24, 2010.

1. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

@blssdwlf Oh, yes, much better on the door smudges. :techman::techman:
    re: the screencap. Could you be looking through the door the crew exits from? Because it looks like Spock's presentation controller is roughly in the correct place for that. And in the episode, we never see the wall you would be looking at. So maybe three doors?

Henoch likes this.
  2. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I rendered out what the room would look like from 6 directions below for reference.

@BK613, I don't think so. The conference room furniture seems to best match the view from direction 1 or 3. The monitor, controller (the controller would need to be moved for 3) and umanoff chair seem to be in the correct place for it. 3 makes more sense so the doors and wall wouldn't have to be moved, IMHO.
    [​IMG]

Where the crew exit in the later scene (view 2) we can't see the controller or the chair or the monitor and would require the furniture to be really shifted around. In my mind, the room next to his quarters have a door in the 6 and 3 position.

The room where the crew meets is most likely a different room as it has a door in the 6 position (visible) and 2 position (edge seen thru the mesh). I guess if I wanted to make it balanced there could be a 3rd door for that room in the 4 position...

For Kirk's rec room, it could be any arrangement since we never see all the walls and only a hint of where one of the door(s) might be. For Kirk's briefing room, we clearly see one door at the end of the table but I haven't watched it enough to rule out doors at other parts of the room...

[​IMG]

3. BK613

@blssdwlf Dang, that is a lot of rendering when a quick shot through the suggested door would have sufficed. FWIW, I was imagining the third door in the vicinity of the yellow oval on your topdown view. Irregardless, I am not trying to convince you but only offer up other ideas.

4. blssdwlf

No worries. It was actually pretty quick (Professor Moriarty is right, Octane makes rendering quick and addictive :biggrin:). I was rotating around the model to figure out where the doors might be so I just saved the images for everyone's reference as it is easier to see than describe.

The more I look at it, view 3 is what we see when Pike walks to his cabin. So at least two variations of the room on Pike's ship for me.

It is a cool looking room, IMO.

Henoch and BK613 like this.
  5. blssdwlf

Still struggling a bit with spotlights... but out of curiosity lit up the colored wall panels to see how they could contribute to the lighting. There is also a single spotlight in the center aimed down.

[​IMG]

Atolm, BK613, StarCruiser and 2 others like this.
  6. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It still amazes me to finally notice (from your earlier briefing room pics of a few years ago) there was a chair with 5 "feet" instead of the traditional 4. I didn't think office chair makers incorporated that practice until the 1980s and yet, here was one from 1964.

7. blssdwlf

LOL - I guess Arthur Umanoff was ahead of his time :) It would of been interesting if this chair was modified and used as the standard bridge chairs instead of the Burkes.

StarCruiser and BK613 like this.
  8. Henoch

Henoch Rear Admiral Premium Member

I still try to fit the briefing room (same room in both scenes) into the Pike stroll to his cabin. My Concept: The only frame of reference as to its location on the ship is curved bulkhead in Pike's quarters with the possible "green window" which I assume is a window and the blinking green light is the starboard navigation light. That said, the following is a WIP concept to shoehorn the sets into the aft section of deck 3:
    [​IMG]
    Pike leaves the bridge via turbolift. The corridors are very busy with personnel including a couple seen exiting the short corridor. I have the main turbolift down that corridor, thus the couple was clogging up that lift shaft. As a result, Pike's turbolift is bypassed around the clog (note the bypass shaft in front of the main shaft that starts on deck 2); it is sent down to deck 4 then to the aft most turbolift shaft and then back up to deck 3 behind the briefing room (this lift services the briefing room and the aft airlock hatch). Pike exits the lift on the starboard side, cuts through the briefing room and walks to his cabin (CQ). The briefing room has four doors. YMMV :).

9. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a sucker for deck plans and this is really nice (love the addition of Rec Room 6 from CX)
    However, you have to ignore the fact that if that really is a window in Pike's quarters (as suggested by TOS-R) then the outer hull walls are paper thin!
    [​IMG]
    I felt much safer for Pike when it was just an illuminated green wall panel

Atolm, Henoch and blssdwlf like this.
  10. blssdwlf

That's an interesting layout. I'm not ready to try and fit that room anywhere yet so I might come back and borrow that :)
    But you could just say that Pike swung by that room that looks like it could be a conference room before heading to his cabin and it had nothing to do with a complicated turbolift journey :D And regarding that conference room, all we see is an open door into a room that happens to have the same set of furniture as the circular briefing room we later see. We don't see the walls so it could be shaped differently... YMMV.

Yeah, I'm not using TOS-R as a reference so in my mind it literally is just a light panel that cycles between green and white with a plexiglass cover floated above it.

11. Henoch

I don't use the TOS-R, either. I think last year we analyzed this green panel feature to death, and "we" did conclude that it was a semitransparent panel bolted onto the wall with a green light projected on it. Honestly, a quick look at the photo below and my first impression of the green panel is a window. I thought that the green panel did a good job to give the appearance/illusion of a window. Blinking green also gives the illusion that it is looking out over the green navigational light which is also blinking. The TOS-R guys thought it looked enough like a window that they even put in a window. Regardless of a window or not, the curved bulkhead starts straight up at the floor and curves overhead which, if associated to the external shape of the ship, can only be deck 3.
    [​IMG]

JonnyQuest037 and StarCruiser like this.
  12. blssdwlf

I suppose it could. For me, I'm not going to use that criteria unless there is a definite connection to the external hull like a window (Mark of Gideon and TCOTK come to mind.) Otherwise, I'd also have to limit all S1-S3 crew cabins and briefing rooms to a part of the external hull because of the angled bulkheads.

13. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, that was a fun mini project! :biggrin:
    Specifically, it was a flat piece of plexiglass bolted to the curved wall, hence the irregularities around the edge which TOS-R took to be the windowframe

blssdwlf and Henoch like this.
  14. Henoch

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    blssdwlf likes this.
  15. blssdwlf

Minor update - fine-tuned the table and monitor and added a kinda-like blue texture to the upper wall panel. Modeling Spock's controller and will probably call it done for this room after I add spot lights in.
    [​IMG]

16. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Yes, but when is somebody going to do a CH Mego bridge?

-runs

17. blssdwlf

Spock's Controller... was tricky to model. :eek: I'm so rusty. I camera-matched it by eye so it's probably not 100% accurate but good enough for room layout. Need to do some texturing and lighting.

[​IMG]

JonnyQuest037, BK613 and Henoch like this.
  18. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

19. Lt. Washburn

Lt. Washburn Captain Captain

I just realized that the table is, at least superficially, very similar to a line of conference tables that Burke sold. Base is different, though.

StarCruiser likes this.
  20. BK613

blssdwlf likes this.