TNG fans please identify yourselves ...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Gold Grizzly, Oct 31, 2005.

1. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Ok...

I'll try!

So, there I was (like everyone else) there had been only one -there could be only one- for years -decades- and all of a sudden there was another one :confused:
    It took me a while to get used to the fact that effects had not gotten better with the twenty year wait, and that the interiors of the Ent already being a decade behind -in the very first episode -BEIGE! what were they thinking?
    And while Star Trek didn't have any -but the most obnoxious- kids around, TNG did have kids on the ship -I'll never understand why! -worst Trek EVAH!- and they (he) turned out to be the most obnoxious character(s) on Trek ever! -THAT part of TNG baffled me! -does so to this day!
    As usual I had to watch this emanation of Trek in the German dubbed version, H8 that; so, he's supposed to be French, and speaks the best English in all of Trek history -fine! -Morte than that: BLOODY BRILLIANT actually, but why, oh why? would anyone want him to do that in German???????????

I remember Picard being the charachter that allowed me to -sucessfully- turn my sister into a (½-way) trekkie (language is important, and while Kirk had only his ripped shirt, Picard had INTELLECT working for him) AND show my nephew that (cy)Borgs were a more dangerous enemy than any ol' 'empire' could ever become. and that 'lightsabers' vere merely a new way to show old-fashioned 'knights-and-swords'-stories in a SciFi setting...

Anyway...
    TNG was the first show to be presented to the Danish tv-viewer (years later and after a hurried re-hash of TOS) -mostly because of massive input/demand/pressure from the official Danish fan-club (trekkies.dk)) but was shown on a small(-ish) channel and on a baaad time of week...
    I suceeded in my greatest acomplishment ever; VHS(!)'ing every episode! -Hadda have a friend do it for me and then record his recording onto my tapes during the next couple of days (four eps every weekend! -I brought my machine (on the back of my bike) to meet his once a week, and had to solder the SCART-input on my machine somewhere in the meantime due to that kind of video-signal system not being designed to unplug-plug-unplug-plug-unplug-plug a lot of times (grrr).

Where was I? Sub Rosa??? that's one of my favorite eps! - what is the problem you guys see with that :confused:

That picture... I used the sentiment in that in the 'what if' thread... as in; you're in great trouble if you wake up next to a Q :lol:

I guess I'll have to read the rest of this thread now... sorry if that'll make me think of other things to say, but, damn it, live with it!

_dane

2. apostle83

apostle83 Admiral Admiral

Hi. My names Matt... and I'm a TNG fan.

3. Jean_Luc

Jean_Luc Cadet Newbie

I am Major T'bakal of the Tal Shiar I am 126 in federation years in Romulan years I am 232 my favorite person in TNG is Q the omniponet He is all powerful so am I

----------------
    "Damn it Jim, I'm a doctor not a bricklayer"- Bones

4. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Riiiiiight.

5. Spidey323

Spidey323 Cadet Newbie

Hey everybody, I'm Rob, otherwise known as Spidey323. I was 13 when ST:TNG first aired wayyyy back in 1987, and my first memory of ST:TNG was seeing a picture of the Enterprise-D in the newspapers I was delivering. The show hadn't aired yet, and looking at the new Enterprise had me worried that the show wouldn't even be close to the original, but I thought I'd at least give it a try. I had my VCR ready to go when the the first episode was aired, and I'm glad I did! I spent the next 7 years watching and taping every single episode. I only missed three episodes throughout the entire run, and I still have all the VCR tapes packed away in a box in my basement, much to my wife's dismay. I enjoyed the show from the start, and I figure that I pretty much grew up with the show since I was 13 when it started, and almost 20 when it ended. I learned a lot of lessons from ST:TNG. My favourite character was Data, but I really enjoyed the entire cast, even Wesley. I have too many favourite episodes to list, but one that sticks out in my mind is "The Offspring" where Data creates Lal, his android daughter. I happened to catch a few parts of that episode on Youtube a couple of weeks ago, and the part where Data says goodbye to Lal had me in tears. I remembered that episode being sad, but I wasn't prepared for the impact it would have on me when I watched it again, now that I'm all grown up with a child of my own! I still watch ST:TNG whenever I get the chance, usually on Spike TV, and I've been thinking of pulling out and dusting off my old VHS tapes and watching them again.
    Anyways, I think I'll be visiting this board more often now, since I'm having a great time recalling all my Star Trek memories!

6. cueballb

cueballb Lieutenant Red Shirt

Hi all, I'm cueball, from Belgium. 21 years of age and TNG fan for as long as i can remember. With the new star trek movie coming up, i decided to register myself here, to keep myself up to date on the latest news and rumours on Star Trek. See you around.

7. Ranaz

Ranaz Ensign Newbie

I'm Alex, 18 years old and from Michigan, Ive been watching TNG since I was in the womb (I still have TNG episodes on tape that I recorded when I was like five). I like the whole cast but I would have to say Picard is my favorite, Data and Crusher a close second.

8. Can

Can Commander Red Shirt

Hi, my name is Can. I am 24 year old , male , living in Istanbul , Turkey. Watched TNG first time in 1990 since then caught some episodes here and there. TNG is the first series that introduced me to sci-fi.

9. Gold Grizzly

Gold Grizzly Vice Admiral Admiral

Quite an international flavour to this board: representatives of Canada, Belgium, America and Turkey all signing up in quick succession! I hope that you all enjoy your stay. :)

10. JimCasy

JimCasy Captain Captain

Okay, so I got through about half of this thread before realising that it's almost midnight and I have to work at 8am. Thus, I gave up reading the rest and decided to just post, though usually I try to read the whole thing beforehand. I'll get around to it later.

Anyway, I'm Lori (yeah, I'm a girl, regardless of my handle. I'm just a book nerd as well.), I'm 25, live in central Iowa, just recently started a job which is not a career, and I'm completely unapologetic about my crazy ignorance concerning the entire ST universe. I watched a few episodes of I can't even remember which incarnation when I was in early high school, I believe, but then it was moved to a midnight time slot, and my mom wouldn't let me stay up watching tv til 1am on a school night. Then I watched a few episodes of Voyager when I was in college because one of my friends watched it religiously. But I never really started watching it until I was unemployed for, well, three weeks the first time, then about a month the second time (within about three months. had a seasonal job in between), in late 2006. And I discovered that Spike showed what was the only decent thing on daytime tv; ST reruns. I fully fell in love with TNG. DS9 I never knew what was going on because I came in in the middle of it all, and it was only on for an hour, whereas TNG was on for three. I've never seen an episode of Enterprise, and Voyager's all right...it's entertaining at least. I'm not a fan of most of the crew though. I've only seen about five episodes of TOS, rerun on TVLand (though I did see what I'm pretty sure was one of the most hilarious moments on television...a midget riding Shatner, and everyone trying to act all serious about it).

Back to TNG. I only know a few episode titles, and I haven't even seen them all, so I can't tell you which is my favorite. I can tell you that I'm crazy infatuated with Data, and (not-so-secretly and illogically) jealous of Tasha. I love to watch him interact with Spot and the other crew members, and it would just be so great to date someone who knows basically everything, doesn't have all those messy feelings to get in the way, and uh, other things that I'll be tactful and won't get into. I rented Nemesis last week, and almost cried at the end. I couldn't believe they killed him off.

But other than my Data love, I just love how the whole crew interacts with each other. I don't have any particular animosity toward any of the characters, though I did always find it strange how permissive they were with Wes, boy genius or no. I haven't rooted for any of the characters to get together, though jealousy or not, I was cheering when Data got some (as I was in Voyager when the Beowulf chick came onto the Doctor. Apparently I just like it when people show physical affection toward the almost-human). I'm also not particularly interested in the technical stuff (don't get me wrong, it'd be awesome to have all of that, but I've never been much of a techie)...okay, this is all so very newbie sounding, and I'm sure you're all groaning and telling me I have so much growing up to do, but I get the feeling with this show that I got when I first started watching the X Files and Firefly and Carnivale...which means I'm going to stick with it and learn more and some day, maybe, if I have money, get the dvds. Though I'm moving in next lease period with a girl who has nearly everything on DVD (and is way more in love with Data than I am), so I'll probably put it off til after we're no longer roommates.

Also, I tend to make really long pointless rambling posts. So I will apologise for that now, and never again.

I'm sure there's stuff I forgot to say here, but yeah, that's the general intro of me. I'm kind of a mess. With everything. But I'm having a damn lot of fun being a mess. :D

11. cabinboy

cabinboy Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

yarrgh where be my bottle of rum?

12. TheMasterOfOrion

TheMasterOfOrion Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I respect the original series but Totally loved TNG and think it raised the bar with the high quality of acting, writing, directing and skilled actors for what started out as what could have been an ordinary tv show

Amazing people who who have all grown to love like
    Patrick Stewart
    LeVar Burton
    Denise Crosby
    Colm Meaney
    Marina Sirtis...
    ...the list goes on, as well as a huge list of some totally amazing guest stars

13. NCV474439_G

NCV474439_G Cadet Newbie

Im john and im from brooklyn ny, ive been watching TNG since 1990, the first star trek i ever saw was "The best of both worlds " so you can see why from then on i was hooked> Ive since grown to love the other treks but tng will always be my fav. Im a huge fan of Picard ( to me Jean-Luc is the quintessential 24th century man: educated in a broad array of subjects, compassionate, curious. tolerant...these things go to the core of what Trek is all about) and I love seeing Data evolve and become more human. I love all the Tng characters though, Riker looks great at Picard's side, Worf had such a great character arc, Geordi is impossible not to like, I had a huge crush on beverly when i was 16 and yes i like wesley crusher too.
    My to 15 Favorite episodes could be:
    TBOBW
    Family
    Brothers ( three consecutive!)
    Darmok
    The Chase
    Datas Day
    Tapestry
    Pegasus
    Q who
    Reunion
    In theory
    Drumhead
    Offspring
    Unification
    Thine own self :vulcan:

14. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hello peoples..

I have not been a TNG fan, in fact prior to ENT it was my least favorite Trek incarnation. I began watching TOS as a teenager in pre-TNG days. I have been a DS9 and VOY fan for a long time but the recent introduction of TNG dvd's in the cheaper format has led to me buying each season and watching them after many years. I was thrilled watching season 7 (I am buying them as they go on sale, not in order, lol) because while some I vaguely remembered others I had clearly not seen. NEW TREK, it's been a long time.. very exciting. So since this is the only Trek I'm watching currently I think I will be hanging around this forum.

It is good to see the roots of political developments shown in later series in TNG. Watching it after being so immersed in DS9 and VOY makes me appreciate the way the writers used so many threads from TNG and expanded on them.

My favorite character was always Ro Laren. I am a Maquis sympathizer. OH how I wish we'd seen Ro Laren in the place of Kira for DS9.

15. imranbecks

imranbecks Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm Imran and I reside in Singapore, Asia. I have been a TNG fan since I was 10yrs old.. Didn't know Star Trek until I saw TNG (no pun intended to the classic series). Its just than TNG was the Star Trek that I was introduced too when I came into this world.. My first episode I believe was Skin Of Evil... Been hooked ever since and have the entire series on DVD of course... Sad that Data died in Nemesis..

16. Danoz

Danoz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the characters. I particularly enjoy the episodes with Worf and his family history with the Klingon's-- his fight for honor with Picard. Guinan is one of my favorite guest stars for her mysticism-- I find the species interesting and would love to see them developed. "Q" I like a lot more in the later episodes, particularly in "Tapestry"-- one of my favorite TNG episodes. Just a few random points that I like, I recently bought all seven seasons and I've started at the beginning again-- loving every second of it :)

17. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

I'm a 33 year old fan of Star Trek who like a lot of kids my age, grew up with daily reruns of TOS on around dinnertime. I even recall that there was a period of time when they would play two episodes back to back.

I also recall all of the buildup when TNG was announced and all that was being discussed about the show back then. I remember the premiere and I did stick with the show for the first year. By the second my interest began to wane, and by the time the third season came around I was at the age when television was just not all that interesting to me. In retrospect, I wish I had stuck around for the third year because I know I would've gone out of my way to at least set the vcr. :)

I do recall getting back into the show in the final year, and then that is when I began to go back and check out all that I had missed.

I also have to note that over the years it seems to be en vouge to rip into TNG, and to some they seem to dismiss the show entirely. There's a lot of great material in this show, a lot which has not dated.

Some of my favorites:

"Where No One Has Gone Before"

"Heart of Glory" (I actually watched this not too long ago and I remember feeling like this is an overlooked episode from the first year)

"A Matter of Honor"

"The Measure of a Man"

"Q Who?" (I still find this episode kind of unnerving)

Pretty much all the episodes from Season 3 all the way to the end starting with "The Enemy". (exception being "Menage a Troi") Way too much to note here. There seems to be a nice blend of thoughtful episodes with a smattering of humor. I think this is the richest time in TNG's history.

"Family" (such an unusual episode for TNG, but I am glad that they did it)

"First Contact"

"The Nth Degree"

"Darmok" (a lot has been said about this episode but I still enjoy this just as much as the first time I saw it)

"Ethics" (great argument on either side - nice one to discuss with another friend)

"The Inner Light" (might be the most emotionally moving of all of the TNG episodes - I also like the fact that there's a really nice scifi premise behind it too)

"Chain of Command" one and two.

"Tapestry"

"Lessons" (I happen to find this one of the most believable romances that Star Trek has ever done)

"All Good Things" (great finale)

18. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I agree that this episode does seem to get overlooked. For me it's the first really stand-out TNG episode and it's difficult to explain the significance or impact of watching it on its first run after years and years of seeing the Klingons as only the bad guys.

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Commodore Commodore

I like this one because it drives its points home pretty well - and Worf has a genuine dilema on his hands with the two Klingons. Plus, the death cry is actually pretty powerfully showcased here. I do remember watching this first run, and I do remember as a fan still getting use to having a Klingon on the bridge. :)

20. Kevin

Kevin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Data is my top favorite character. Riker is close behind and Q is the best! John Delancie rocks!