Philadelphia Class Frigate

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BorgMan, Nov 23, 2009.

1. BorgMan

BorgMan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Time is a fickle thing. Where once there is peace, war can erupt without the slightest notion. On the other side of that same coin are the strategists, planning every move of the fleet, and trying to get an insight into what is going to happen now, soon, or not so soon.

Enter the Philadelphia Class. This warship, constructed not so long after the Wells class intervention cruisers, has a more obvious role than the last: deliver a punch, and deliver it hard. At the brink of the 30th century, when the Na'Kuhl opposed the Temporal Accords and war erupted, this class of ship was pitched in the front lines. Not as elegant as a Wells, but far cheaper and easier to produce, this became the first platform of choice to combat the Na'Kuhl across different timelines. To cut down on costs the ship is equipped with a model of temporal transporter that can span less time than the Wells' transporter, but this was deemed enough: if it would be needed, the ship would jump to the timeframe itself and then initiate transport.

[​IMG]

Being a ship of war, it is equiped with two heavy temporal disruptors on the front and several phaserstrips across the hull, as well as being able to fire Mk. IV temporal chroniton torpedoes, able to chase a timejumping ship at least a few centuries; in one case, a Na'Kuhl heavy cruiser was destroyed when it jumped back five centuries to escape a Philedelphia wing, only to be surprised off-guard by a chasing chroniton torpedo. It's 110 meters are filled with equipment that can aid the personell in their fight, though it has less volume compared to a Wells. A shuttlebay is absent: the ship is too small to cary an Aeon anyway. A temporal pod is present, though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

- - -

So... This here ship is being made for SCN's sub 200 meter starship competition. Perhaps the most exotic project of this whole competition, even more so than my slipstream ship. This is unknown territory, though still Federation. The ship came out a little bit different compared to the sketch but it came out better than I'd hoped for. I know that there's some errors in the model but I'm still busy perfeting it. I hope you all can get into my mind with this one, because... well, yeah, this ain't your daddy's Star Trek (or your son's, or great-great-great-grandson's, for that matter ;) )

2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

SCN? competition? Please, do tell more!

3. BorgMan

SCN is the forum affiliated with Ex Astris Scientia; that name should ring a bell. The objective for the competition is to create a ship which has a maximum length of 200 meters. It doesn't matter how small it is otherwise, which timeframe it comes from, you name it, so it's really cool to see everybody busy. Hop on over to the Artwork & Design forum to see the other works; Clawhammer is participating as well :)

4. Starship

Starship Captain Captain

That´s a sexy ship my friend!

5. sojourner

Hmm, guess I have good timing with my Safari class! Maybe I'll enter.

6. BorgMan

Well... The only BUT in this case is that you've got to create a ship specifically for this contest, without using a pre-existing design. If you would rebuild a design from the ground up especially for the contest, now that's another story...

7. sojourner

Well, it is a WIP that was started well after the beginning of the contest. You can see the thread on this forum didn't even start till the 15th and it's far from finished.

I'll ask for clarification before posting there.

Edit: curious, do you have the sudivide/smooth plugin for Sketchup? How do you get such fluid shapes? I use soapskin/bubble sometimes but it is hard to get clean meshes out of.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2009
  8. BorgMan

Good ol' manual labor. I used one shape I wanted as hull and another as the floor, and then continuisly pushed the shape and then morphed that shape over and over to get the desired hull; this was true for the small spot of hull between the aft and front.

9. sojourner

Yea, I have used that method too. The time involved sucks. lol. My problem with it is trying to go from one shape to another. For example a circular cross section to a square cross section.

Then again, I am getting really good at spinning profiles ("lathing" in other programs), then cutting/morphing them into unique shapes.

10. BorgMan

Here's a little update. I added the secondary hull, which was more a pain than any of you could probably think. Not sure if it stays this way but I kind of like it :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. jaspertjie

jaspertjie Captain Captain

Wow really... just... wow!

12. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I like the concept sketch, though I'll admit I've never really liked the whole "timeship" idea. While I can respect the notion of a future Federation/Starfleet seeking to prevent major shifts in history, I think giving them this level of technology is just silly. There's too much temptation to misuse it, and you can't say for certain that any particular action or future outcome is necessarily wrong.

13. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

As humans and the Federation evolved over the ages, and as the Earth became unstable due to unstoppable geological circumstances, they were forced to move.

Across the Universe they travelled. To the Gallifrey System. There they settled on their new Home Gallifrey, and in the arrogance born from their ability to manipulate space and time, they created a new caste of people. They called themselves Time Lords.

From that point on, a whole new series of really cool and fun adventures began with an outcast Time Lord known only as The Doctor.
    --------------

So it all makes perfect sense now.

--------------

Okay, okay- on topic. I can't really say much about the ship in this post. We need more images. So get to work, BorgDude!... I mean, BorgMan.

14. BorgMan

;) By your command! I should have the wings on her within a few days if all goes right :)