Once Upon A Time - Season 2 Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Sep 30, 2012.

1. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Since this starts tonight I figured I'd go ahead and start a thread for it. I work until 7:00 tonight, so I'm not sure if I'm going to watch it, but I definitely will be watching it first thing in the morning if I don't. I loved the first season, and I can't wait to see where things go from there.

2. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Series often talk about big changes but usually only do a soft reboot a la The 37s on Voyager. But this really has been presented as a huge change, so big that the new season is effectively a new series (albeit one with baggage, aka backstory.) If they spend half a dozen episodes going back to something like the first season status quo, the series will be thematically dead. If they do something new, will it be good? Watching to see.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I trust them enough after last season that I'm pretty sure it will be great. I'm still pretty shocked that they actually broke the curse, and brought magic into Storybrooke so early. I wasn't expecting that big of a change to the status quo for at least 3 or 4 years, if ever before the end of the series.

4. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm pretty psyched about this. I can't wait to see where they go with it.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

All the interviews I've read about season 2 sound promising. I've got a feel that season 2 will blow away season one.

6. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rumplestiltskin hunts Baelfire; Prince Charming and Regina hunt Snow White and Emma Swan; Mulan and Aurora vs. Snow White and Emma Swan; we still have Rumplestiltskin vs the Evil Queen. Well, it'll be busy this season.

But, Henry now thinks of Regina as Mom?

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

She still raised him, he never wanted her to die in the first place. He was just weirded out by how nothing in the town changed except for him and wanted answers. Yes, she wasn't Mom of the Year but she wasn't some horrible molester/child-beater.

8. js

js Captain Captain

My EXACT biggest problem with the episode. He's never thought of her or treated her that way, much less referred to her that way.

I don't know why they went with that motivation instead of the obvious (and better) one: that Henry, like Emma, is the human moral compass for the fairytale characters.

It's not "don't kill her, she's my mom!"

It's: "don't kill her: YOU are not the bad guys, SHE is! And the good guys don't act like the bad guys!"

Moral compass, yes. "Don't kill my (never cared about her before) mom!" - no.

Otherwise, it just becomes a second emotional bribery echoing Rumpel/Belle - and doing the same thing twice takes away from the Rumpel/Belle promise too.

9. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Plus, there's the argument that "We're not in fairyland. This is modern-day Maine. You can't just burn the mayor at the stake!"

10. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

There were a few episodes in the previous season where he was starting to show affection towards Regina, or at least understanding that she genuinely cared for him. That response didn't just come out of the blue, though the use of the word "mom" was a bit awkward.

11. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't have a problem with Henry referring to Regina as his mother, for all his knowledge of the fairytale world and that she was the Evil Queen it can't have been easy to see the woman who raised him threatened by an angry mob.

I thought Mulan was great, I thought I recognised her and just saw that she was my favourite in Suckerpunch! The mystery of the fairytale world is intriguing and it'll be interesting to see which characters survived, and the identity of Mr. Whale.

I really liked how the revelation was handled between Emma and her parents. That had to have been such a weird moment.

Really looking forward to the rest of the season.

12. Greg Cox

My money is on Bluebeard, although I'm not sure where the "Whale" thing fits into that theory.

13. Beef Squatthrust

Beef Squatthrust Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe he's the whale from Pinocchio? If Jiminy Cricket can turn human again, why can't a whale?

14. Greg Cox

Possible. But I don't remember the whale being a smarmy womanizer . . . .

15. Beef Squatthrust

Well, I suppose that's true. The characters do tend to keep the better part of their personalities and I never got that from the original story either. Not that we really got much insight into the whale's personality really.

16. Greg Cox

There's also a theory going around that he's Dr. Frankenstein, which intrigues me.

"Whale" as in "James Whale," the director of the original Karloff film.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  17. Beef Squatthrust

Ooh, I like that idea! Very interesting indeed. I just took that movie off the shelf the other day so I could remember to watch it soon.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

That was pretty good. Can't wait to see how Emma reacts to being in Fairytale land.

19. Rhaven

Rhaven Captain Captain

If Emma had trouble believing before, now that she been sent into a fairytale, should prove enlightening.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved it! Definitely cements the show's place on my favorite shows list. I didn't expect the twist with the preserved part of the Fairy Tale world, but I was wondering why Mulan, Phillip, and Aurora didn't seem to be in Storybrooke. I didn't think the stuff with Henry not wanting them to kill Regina was that out of character. No matter what she's done she was still the woman who raised him as her son.
    I like the Bluebeard idea for Wale, I hadn't considered him before.
    The mention of the Whale from Pinocchio does bring up something I was wondering about. Do you think we'll see more non-human Fairy Tale characters in the future? I would be curious to see how they'd handle The Three Little Pigs, or Goldilocks & The Three Bears.