Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4 billion in cash and stock.

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by JoeZhang, Oct 30, 2012.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Perhapshe felt Lucasfilm would be best left in the hands of Disney rather than some other company.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I really thought Lucas wouldn't give up Star Wars unless it was from his cold, dead hand. But with this news, I think he's realized that he's finished with it (and big budget movies) and moving on.

A 2015 release date already established for Episode VII, huh? With Disney behind it, that's definitely possible.

3. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Hah, wow.

4. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

They should hire JJ Abrams to reboot the entire franchise. Every time two lighsabers clash in combat, LENS FLARE!

5. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Hmph. I stopped caring about Lucasfilm quite some time ago.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Fitting, since Disney is already a massive empire seeking to conquer the entire galaxy... and they're now a big step closer. On the other hand, Lucasfilm is probably better off without Lucas in charge.

I'm sure everyone's assuming that the new SW movie will be the start of the long-awaited third trilogy -- Deadline even called it Episode 7, though I haven't seen corroboration of that -- but I'm wondering if it could potentially be something different. Also worthy of note: the Deadline article says they "plan future movies based on the movies’ most iconic franchises," which I assume is a typo for "based on Lucasfilm's most iconic franchises." So this could mean more Indiana Jones without Lucas in charge (potentially a good thing), or... Hmm. Does Lucasfilm actually have any "iconic franchises" other than SW and Indy? I checked their filmography on Wikipedia, and the only other thing they've done that counts as a franchise -- i.e. more than one production -- is American Grafitti. There have been some efforts to get a Willow sequel underway, but I'd hardly call that iconic.

7. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

8. doubleohfive

Who knows what his reasons were. Personally, the detail that Disney paid cash and stock was more interesting to me than the wording in his press release. :shrug: Maybe all those damn action figures and endless revisions to each different edition of the OT aren't paying the bills anymore?

I must admit - I am also curious about what other filmmakers will do with the property.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I think it's probably more iconic than it deserves. :p

10. doubleohfive

Though, I do think it's going to be really shitty how the majority of nerds on the 'net are going to be concerning themselves more with this than with the repercussions and damage from Sandy. :(

11. I Grok Spock

I Grok Spock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

12. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

At least they're planning new movies and not still futzing with the old ones.

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

After they mentioned the Episode 7 in 2015 thing, I kept expecting this to be revealed as a hoax, but it's being covered by all the reputable entertainment news sources. This was just completely out of nowhere, but welcome news nonetheless.

I mean, it makes sense, given Disney's long term collaboration with Lucasfilm with the Star Tours rides and related merchandise, and I can't think of a company better placed to continue and expand on the Star Wars franchise than Disney. I'd especially like to see Pixar get involved in the franchise again after starting out as part of Lucasfilm themselves --the circle is now complete, you could say.

There's endless potential for expansion of the films, TV series, and games (and maybe the seemingly dead live-action TV series might get a second chance) and of the rides and other SW-related entertainment in the Disney parks. I enjoy The Clone Wars series, but this is the first time I've actually been excited about the franchise as a whole for a long time with the prospect of fresh blood being brought in to revitalize things, and some of the yes men that have sat quietly through some of Lucas' excesses either getting their own shot to shine or getting out of the way.

There might be concerns about Disney making the franchise more childish in nature, but that's hard to see considering how juvenile it got in parts of the PT especially --and it was always aimed primarily at younger audiences from the start.

This is actually great news. I hope they stick with their plans for the new Star Wars film(s) (although it seems fairly fast-paced, to be honest, considering they just took over and are already planning a movie in a little over two years). Exciting stuff.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Can't be much worse than Phantom Menace.

15. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw a mention of more Willow back on page 2.

What about more Indiana Jones? Harrison Ford would come back for that, Han he's said no to many times. Plus despite the varying opinions on Crystal Skull it was bankable and is the most current franchise with new live action material.

16. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a feeling Indy will end up like James Bond, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. As long as they keep the maturity level at least at the Marvel movie level it should be fine.

17. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

^Most people will not have suffered any damage or repercussions because of Sandy.

Besides this News story will be repalced by something else in a day or two's time.

18. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

As long as they don't try and build the franchise around Shia LaBeef, I'm cool with it continuing. It would be better to recast a younger Indiana Jones and perhaps try to do some adventures set in the 20s and early 30s between The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles and the movies.

19. doubleohfive

Have you been watching any of the news about it? I don't know that I'd say that.

I'm sure it will be. But that wasn't what I was saying. I said it'll be a shitty thing that most of the nerds on the internet will be more concerned with this news than anything having to do with Sandy - there's a difference. :)

20. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

So can we see Spielberg Direct?