Star Wars: Episode VII: The Nerd Rage Awakens

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by cooleddie74, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

Re: New Casting and Story Rumors re: EPISODE VII

Although I can see the appeal of a "New Republic" I do hope they avoid the political silliness that bogged down the prequels.

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I definitely agree. I'd have thought that we'd have gotten a New Republic, and maybe a line about Leia being a former president (even without the EU it would make sense for her to have lead a new government made out of the rebellion). But, when it comes to the actual story of the movie, they don't need any political stuff, and I don't see them putting much in, at least the boring political stuff that happened in the prequels.

3. Jedi_Master

Yes. Let's just skip that. One of the things I liked about the original trilogy is that they had things just EXIST without the need for too much exposition. For instance, Jabba the Hutt had a massive palace on Tatooine. No need for too much detail as to why or what for, just "welp the bad guy has a palace on Luke's planet, Han is in there, let's get em out"

4. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Thirty years later and our heroes never managed to establish a stable government?! That would seem like a massive failure to me.

I thought we were going to be greeted as liberators, and here we are STILL embroiled in a bloody conflict?!

5. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

When's the last time you formed a galaxy-wide government? :p

6. Jedi_Master

Well the entire series is called Star Wars.... so peace and stability are not really the theme.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant

Thanks a lot, Mon Rumsfeld.

8. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

Well just like the Prequels, this could start at the end of a long period of Peace that falls to pieces - it only really needs to be War onscreen not in the back material.

9. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah I had hoped that after 5 years or so of mopping up the Empire, they established a lasting peace that runs until the opening scene of the new movie :lol:

Remember; in the Special Edition, Palpatine's statue is knocked down ON CORUSCANT THE DAY HE DIES.

Which suggests the Empire pretty much immediately toppled.

10. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, the rumor is that there is no New Republic in the new film. That doesn't necessarily mean that there hasn't been peace.

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know, I think the idea that elements of the Empire continued to exist is kind of refreshing. Especially after so many freakin movies where we see the enemy force of millions miraculously grind to a halt once their leader/queen/hive is killed.

It only makes sense that there would be a lot of other generals, grand moffs, or even Darths out there who might see the death of the Emperor as an opportunity to try to seize power themselves.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, there wouldn't be other Darths, since there are only two Sith Lords at any given time, the master and the apprentice. This was established in Episode 1 so it's still canon. Since both master and apprentice were killed at Endor, the Sith are no more.

13. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

14. cooleddie74

Interesting. Seeing as at least 30 years (possibly more) have passed since the victory at Endor it's not that weird a concept to believe that what's left of the Empire changed how Stormtroopers dress and look during that fairly lengthy timespan. Even the Clones of the Old Republic had changes to the designs of their armor while the Clone Wars were being fought and the helmets were almost completely redesigned. While part of me wants to see the old Stormtroopers from the OT back in action, I wouldn't mind if they change their look.

Heck, Starfleet seems to change their uniforms every time some Admiral in San Francisco sneezes.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hmmmm, that would be interesting. What if some sort of cult had built up among the remnants of the empire after Vader's death? Maybe the helmets are an expression of that?

16. kirk55555

The stormtrooper costume, if its for real, sounds interesting. While it would be cool to see some classic Stormtroopers, the description in that article sounds cool, especially the eyes being one black strip (which makes me think of Cylons).

17. cooleddie74

And it wouldn't be the first time that a white-armored soldier in the Star Wars universe didn't have two separate, distinct eye lenses on their helmet. The original, Phase I Clone Trooper had a T-shaped visor design based closely on Jango Fett's Mandalorian helmet.

18. kirk55555

Yeah, I liked the Clone Trooper costumes (and Mandalorian armor in general, too). I wonder if we'll see any variation in coloring, like the camo clone troopers on Kashyyyk (which made sense, unlike the bright white stormtroopers on the forest moon of Endor :lol:) or maybe some troopers with a vader-like all black color scheme.

Glowing visors might also be cool, although that may be a bit over the top.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

After the fallout from the war, perhaps individual planets simply decided to go their separate ways for a while.

20. Jedi_Master

I thought Cylons too when I heard that description.
    It is so exciting to think of all new stuff!

Anyways, about the political situation, I hope they do a one line intro in the opening crawl - something like this:

30 years have passed since the destruction of the Second Death Star, but remnants of the Empire still exist. The resurgent Jedi Order led by Master Luke Skywalker and the Galactic Alliance led by Leia Organa Solo fight to eliminate these havens of evil. But a far greater danger is lurking, one that could destroy all that the defenders of freedom and justice have fought for...

(cue music)