Pacific Rim - Grading and Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by sojourner, Jul 12, 2013.

?

How do you rate Pacific Rim?

1. A+

31 vote(s)
    24.8%
  2. A

35 vote(s)
    28.0%
  3. A-

15 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. B+

25 vote(s)
    20.0%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    5.6%
  6. B-

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. C+

2 vote(s)
    1.6%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  10. D+

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  12. D-

3 vote(s)
    2.4%
  13. F+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  14. F

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  15. F-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Starts Today!

I personally plan to see it Monday. It looks like great fun and some early geek reviews are positive. What do you think?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=A85EtOalcsM[/yt]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2013
  2. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I totally forgot it was coming out today and I'm surprised that it's getting decent to high scores.

IMDb: 8/10
    Rotten Tomatoes: 72%

3. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

WOW! How'd that happen? Don't you usually post these threads months in advance?

They've certainly been hyping the hell out of it over on the Gawker sites for the past few months...

io9 | Tag | Pacific Rim

So, I saw this little movie no one is talking about... | Observation Deck | io9

Pacific Rim Review: Holy Sh-t That Was Great | Gizmodo

Anyway, Kenneth Turan of the LA Times really liked it...

Review: In 'Pacific Rim,' Del Toro makes magic with monsters - latimes.com

I've got my IMAX 3D tickets for Sunday at the AMC Century 15, and apparently there's a prequel comic, which offers some good backstory.

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Why are you surprised it is getting good ratings?

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Planning to see it tonight. I didn't watch many japanese monster movies as a kid, but I do remember watching a lot of Ultraman and Voltron (with him constantly facing off against giant "Robeasts"), and so I'm hoping this will remind me somewhat of that.

6. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think this movie will be what we always hoped those shows were as kids.

7. Yminale

Yminale Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I saw it Thursday night.

Best Kaiju movie EVER!!!

8. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I can't say that this is the best movie of the summer, cause of course that's entirely subjective. I will say it's my favorite movie of the summer so far.

9. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Can't wait to see this film.

Better than the original Gojira?

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

One of the funnest movies I have seen in a long time, I had a complete blast, laughed a lot, loved the cheese and the fights were spectacular. It was basically "Fuck it, this is awesome and we're doing it" as far as plot goes, there were so many times where stuff kinda didn't make sense but was so awesome you overlooked it. I was smiling and chuckling so much at how crazy shit got at one point. Can't wait to see it again.

A+

11. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    ^ That's EXACTLY how I felt.

LOVED it - AMAZING visuals and a real "Let's just do this and have a blast" type feel.

Perfect antidote to the recent trend of dark, brooding, emo, cut your wrist "super" hero films.

Roll on the sequel!!!!!!!

12. Phily B

I was smiling like a child when during the Hong Kong battle

Jax/Mako appeared in their Jaeger, when they go to fight the second monster and are holding the ship to use as a weapon, when the monster suddenly grows wings then they pull out a fucking sword out of no where then it lands and appears from the dust

That whole sequence man! Can't wait to see it again. As far as a sequel goes, while I loved it and wouldn't mind seeing more movies like this, which was rather original, it just feels a little too niche to be a run away success.

13. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!
    My partner loved that too and grabbed my arm and just started saying, "VOLTRON! That's like VOLTRON!!!"

I know nothing about Japanimation(never cared for it)and don't know a kaiju from a kaj-a-goo-goo and he told me there were lots of little subtle homages to the genre.

One thing we were wondering was, does the shoe motif mean anything in Japanimation? There were two characters who took a shoe and the camera seemed to really focus on it. Is there any symbolism in Japanese culture?

14. Agent Richard07

Sometimes an entire year. :p

Because it looked like a forgetable summer movie with robots and special effects. It didn't look bad necessarily, it just didn't look all that earth-shattering. I figured I might check it out.

Well, I've seen it and I'm giving it an A.

I loved it. It was a nice to see a live action anime with with all the requisite characters. We had the young hero, the hardcore captain/general, the pretty girl, the com guy and some comic relief with our wacky scientists and an opportunistic business man in a gaudy outfit. Throw in some mecha and Godzilla done right and you've got a complete package. And more than that, it told a complete story without trying to set up multiple sequels. I just read that it was del Toro's intention to bring the genre to the big screen and I think he did well by packing a lot into two hours. What remains to be seen is how well this does financially. I wouldn't mind seeing other movies made like this. I also read that he wanted something to counteract the current dark and cynical trend, and I'm sorry to hear that since I like the trend, but this managed to be fun without being too light, so points there too.

As good as this was, I'm still putting Man of Steel at the top of my list. I think Pacific Rim is being better received because it doesn't have to live up to any expectations.

Yeah, I suppose you could nitpick the logic behind using giant robots to fight monsters as well as why they need two pilots in a mind meld, but the concept is fun and you find yourself more accepting as the movie progresses.

I thought of Voltron too.

15. Agent Richard07

By the way, stay through the first part of the credits, not just for the awesome theme song, but because there's a little something extra. I'm sure you'll like it. There's nothing tacked on at the very end though.

16. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I was planning on simply skipping this movie but now I am filled with doubt.

17. Phily B

I have seen Evangelion and I did get the impression a lot of the movie was influenced by it.

18. Chris_Johnston

Chris_Johnston Captain Captain

I was planning to stay through the end credits anyway (I was trained that way from a young age), especially since I heard it's dedicated to Ray Harryhausen & Ishiro Honda.

19. Phily B

I was more referring to them never explaining why the robots can't walk on water!

Which I'm fine with, they just ignore it.

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I saw the first show this morning, and I loved it. I give a huge A+. It had great action, with spectacular effects, but at the same time it had interesting characters and a good story.