What guest stars would you have liked to see on TOS?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by CrazyMatt, Sep 17, 2013.

1. CrazyMatt

CrazyMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

With all of the recent discussions regarding TOS guest stars, here’s another question to ponder: What guest stars commonly seen on other TV shows during the mid- to late-60’s would you have liked to have seen guest on Star Trek (but who never actually did)? What type or role would you envision them playing… and would they have been better than an actual guest star in a particular role?

One I can think of right off is Nehemiah Persoff. A great character actor who could play a role with a remarkable bit of depth and subtlety, he could have been a great a bad guy with sorta good intentions, such as Ambassador Hodin in "The Mark of Gideon" (although David Hurst did a pretty good job in his own right).

Your nominees?

2. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think Noam Pitlik would have made a good Arne Darvin in "Tribbles." He had a somewhat shifty look and was capable of playing vaguely ethnic types, so he would have been believable as a Klingon in disguise. Not necessarily better than Charlie Brill, though.

[​IMG]

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Robert Conrad as a rival of Kirk!

4. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

Too many great ones to just name one........

Don Gordon, Ross Martin, John Dehner, John Larch, Joseph Wiseman, James Whitmore, Simon Oakland, Gail Kobe, Martin Balsam, Martin Milner, James Best, Ann Francis, Vera Miles, Richard Kiel, Joe Maross, Burgess Meredith, Ivan Dixon, Terry Becker, Michael Constantine, Robert Culp, Bill Cosby, Vaughn Taylor, Gary Merrill, Kevin Hagen............

honestly a lot more good actors than there were parts available.

5. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Plus he was around Desilu a lot at that time - did a few Hogans, and other shows shot there.

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I'm envisioning Lorne Greene as a commodore, admiral, starbase commander, or any other position of authority.

7. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Yes! That would have been so cool, always liked him in Wild Wild West and Baa Baa Black Sheep.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Considering he was originally offered the part of Spock I'd like to have seen Martin Landau as another Vulcan. Other cast members of M:I I'd have liked to see in TOS were Greg Morris and Barbara Bain. I think Carroll O'Connor would have been interesting guesting on TOS with the right role.

9. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Roy Thinnes as David Vincent in an Invaders/Trek crossover

10. Mysterion

Mysterion Vice Admiral Admiral

Saw some episodes of Daniel Boone awhile back, and think Fess Parker would have been a good guest star on TOS.

11. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Diana Rigg, Ann-Margaret, Peggy Lipton, Barbara Eden, Barbara Feldon, Joey Heatherton, Michelle Carey, Raquel Welch, Dawn Wells, Suzanne Pleshette, Carolyn Munro, Elke Sommer, Susan St. James, Linda Evans, Jessica Walter, Elizabeth Ashley, Honor Blackman, Nancy Kwan...

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I like several of the above suggestions. I'd add Roddy McDowall and Jack Klugman. How about Alan Napier as an Organian?

13. The Old Mixer

Adam West! The chance to see him and Shatner as dueling hams in their prime....

I'll also second Anne Francis, whom I considered mentioning in my previous post.

14. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^Adam West was a much subtler actor than people think. He overplayed Batman because he was asked to, because that was the job he was given and he did it very well. I'd love it if he'd gotten more opportunities to do serious acting and show his range -- e.g. a Trek appearance.

Oh, and how could I forget the suggestion I've made before? Vincent Price would've made an amazing Klingon.

15. The Old Mixer

^I know. I caught Adam West in an episode of The Rifleman and barely recognized him.

16. BoredShipCapt'n

BoredShipCapt'n Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did you ever see the unsold pilot they did together for Alexander the Great? Damn, it was like the acting version of loud plaid with neon polka dots.

17. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Lots of great choices by everyone so far, let me add a few/agree with previous posters:

Martin Landau
    Bob Crane
    Leslie Nielsen
    Barbara Eden
    Russell Johnson
    Adam West
    Richard Anderson
    Fritz Weaver
    Gene Barry
    Ann Margret

18. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

Gene Hackman as another Tracey like Captain gone rogue (leading to a WOK style ship battle and Shat v Hack end fist fight)

19. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Hackman in 1967 would have made a great Koloth...

20. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to These Are the Voyages, they briefly considered Roddy McDowell to play Trelaine.