Die Hard V - Not Looking Good...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captaindemotion, Sep 1, 2011.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that was a pretty pointless post, wasn't it?

2. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

One of the biggest problems for me is that the McGuffin is not well explained, so it’s not clear what the McClanes are fighting for other than to save their own skin. The file seems like it would not have very significant implications except for a few people, and there are no apparent threats to anyone but the combatants.

It violates what I thought to be the tradition of the franchise: with each successive sequel, the playing field is larger, the action more intense, and the stakes much higher. Hans takes about 30 hostages in a plot to steal $600 million, Stuart takes several airliners hostage in a plot to free General Esperanza, Simon threatens to blow up a school and creates complete chaos in New York City in a plot to steal $140 billion, and Gabriel targets “the accumulated wealth of the United States” while crippling much of the nation’s infrastructure in order to make a point.

Publicity for A Good Day to Die Hard said that McClane & Son had to stop “a terrorist plot that threatens the stability of the free world.” I figured that after preventing a war in #5, the sixth and final film in the franchise would have McClane battling a plot that threatens the entire human race, like Twelve Monkeys and Rainbox Six. Unfortunately, #5 never feels like they’re fighting for such high stakes, and since it seems TPTB do not have the same view that I did about the traditions of the franchise that I did, it now seems unlikely we’ll get a battle to save the human race in #6.

3. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

No more pointless than taking seriously something that was meant to be senselessly silly.

4. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude, this is a movie discussion thread.

If everyone went "Oooh I loved how silly it was.", there wouldn't be any need for it.

5. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

I was replying to the two posts above me who said "saw it don't waste your money" and "saw it, totally worth the money." I figured, my post was the only other available option.

6. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

loved the utterly surreal John McClane cameo in Top Gear today! (I assume they visited the set of AGDTDH)

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Dude. You really need to lighten up.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It was a bit WTF wasn't it!:lol: