Die Hard V - Not Looking Good...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Captaindemotion, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Actualy I remember quite enjoying it. I didn't think it was a great Saint film, but as a standalone actioner I quite liked it. I recall being amused by Kilmer's ludicrous disguises....

2. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I like elements of The Saint (and Elizabeth Shue was just delectable in it) but its climactic sequence is a man switching on a light bulb, for heaven's sake. Now, if they'd left in the original planned scene of Templar landing a plane in St Peter's Square (as I recall), it might have been actually exciting!

3. JeffreyAbrams

JeffreyAbrams Ensign

I don't like this. McClane again looks like the ubercool superhero again, just like in Die Hard 4. He isn't supposed to be that.

4. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much. Part of the appeal of the first three movies is that he's just some poor bastard who repeatedly get sucked into situations like that.

5. JeffreyAbrams

JeffreyAbrams Ensign

I love the moment in the first film when he's on the rooftop and shouts "Please God, don't let me die!", and when he breaks down almost crying on the bridge of the ship in Die Hard With A Vengeance. That's the John McClane I want to see.

6. Captaindemotion

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=98324

New trailer, which gives Jai Courtney almost as much screentime as Bruno. It's still just Bruce's name above the credits, though. This one seems to provide a little more clue about the story than the others.

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

You know what, "super hero" appearance of the film or not, I can't help but want to see this movie. And after that trailer, I have a better feeling about the movie. It looks like they brought back the McClane humor.

8. Captaindemotion

^Funny, this is actually my least favourite of the trailers so far, but I still want to see the movie.

I was thinking that February was an odd time to release this movie, as the last 4 were all summer releases. Having said that, the original (the only one I never saw in the cinema) was actually released in February in the UK, despite a July release in the USA, so it may not seem like all that odd a time to older viewers.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think this just shows that Hollywood is creating more blockbuster fare the past 5+yrs and that's why films like this now show up in the Feb/March slot. Audiences have shown that if it's good they will show up during late winter to support a film.

It used to be 10-20yrs ago that Jan & Feb were dead months, the dumping grounds and March the borderline month to release a film you thought coulda/woulda/shoulda been a summer release. It still has to be marketed as such and convince audiences though. For every Lorax/Hunger Games there will be a John Carter in March. But hey, no matter what we still get a Battleship every May regardless so the gamble is about equal.

Summer is just that much more competitive than even 5 yrs ago when LFoFH was released. I'm hoping this means a big marketing push for The Wolverine cause Fox Studios other summer films are a comedy and two animated films. It seems Wolverine is it's tentpole action film.

10. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Yeh, I too hate it when a character experiences growth over the course of a series. Oh wait. No I don't.

By the time DH4 rolled around, John McClain had already dealt with three major terrorist situations. He simply was no longer the poor unsuspecting and out of his element everyman, and it's a damn good thing they didn't try to play him that way, yet again, because that would have been even sillier than taking out a helicopter with a police car, or riding on the back of a jump-jet. The experience of the first three films made him into a certifiable badass, and I'm glad that's how they're playing it.

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Wouldn't it make sense that, at some point, he would have figured this shit out and have some idea how to handle it?

Arguably, this counts as character development ;)

12. Captain Craig

^^^^
    To some degree he has, mostly, figured "it" out.

In LFoDH Matt Farrell looks at him stunned and says, "Aren't you scared?"
    McClane tells him(calmly), "Yeah, I was scarred"
    Farrell, "This is you being scarred!"

There is also the exchange of:
    Farrell "You've done this before....haven't you? Killed people I mean."
    McClane "Yeah...I have"

There is also that exchange where Farrell asks why don't they just sit this out from here. John lets him know that only they know what to do and can't communicate. So they are going to do it. If he could let someone else handle it would, but he can't. It's part of the whole "And that's what makes you that guy" line in the film.

Some paraphrasing but the gist is by LForDH and after 3 of these type situations he is able to manage it better--to a shocking degree of someone else for the first time like Matt Farrell. The series is giving the audience someone new to experience the "unexpected situation" with like we did John in the first and second Die Hards. Meanwhile we still get John in all his attitudinal glory while having to be in this situation...again. In Vengeance it's Zeus(SLJ) in LFoDH it's Farrell. Not sure that this installment will have one based on the trailer.

That said there is the elevator clip for this film where both McClane's and a third guy are in an elevator. The third guy seems very shaken but both McClane's have a firm grip on their guns. He looks at John and says, "You've done this before, right?" And John just gives him that firm assuring look.

13. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Those exchanges were pretty cringeworthy, especially the last one.

Ever since I heard Kevin Smith on Copout, I can't take it seriously anymore. :lol:

14. Captain Craig

I wasn't saying they were Oscar worthy. Just on screen evidence that John has learned to roll with the unexpected a bit better than before.

15. Captaindemotion

I'm too lazy to post a link but there are tv spots jumping up again and, best of all, it's been announced that this movie will be R-rated! Rejoice motherfuckers, rejoice!

16. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Never thought the day would come, but we can see R-rated films again, yay. The decade of kid friendly action comes hopefully to an end.

17. Captain Craig

I wonder if Expendables is at least partly to credit with that. Return to 'R' rated for films that deserve it and the audience will show up.

18. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Of course that doesn't guarantee it will be good. But I think it's a step in the right direction.

19. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does that mean Pixar won't be involved in "Live As If You'll Die Hard Today"?

20. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I'm glad about this, but I can also think of a few films for which this has been (partially at least) the kiss of death (Dredd for one, but also Watchmen). Personally I'm happy about this though!!