The Romulan War: Beneath the Raptor's Wing - Discuss (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DarkHorizon, Oct 19, 2009.

1. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

The latest Enterprise novel is out now - I should know, it was on my doormat when I arrived home.

At the start of the twenty-first century, unconditional war swept across the Earth. A war that engulfed the great and the small, the rich and the poor, giving no quarter. Each side strove for unconditional victory, and as battle built upon battle the living began to envy the dead.

Chastised by the cataclysm that they had unleashed, the governments of Earth banded together. Humanity vowed to put an end to war, and to strive for the betterment of every living creature. A united Earth created Starfleet, an interstellar agency, whose mission was to explore the cosmos, to come in peace for all mankind. It was a naïve wish that was battered by interstellar realities, yet man persists in the belief that peace is the way. Banding together with other powers to form a Coalition of Planets, humanity hopes that the strength each can offer the other, will allow for peaceful exploration.

However, the rise of the Coalition strikes dread within the Romulan Star Empire. They feel its growing reach will cut them off from what is rightfully theirs. The Romulans know that the alliance is fragile, that the correct strategy could turn allies into foes. Perfecting a way of remotely controlling Coalition ships and using them as weapons against each other, the Romulans hope to drive a wedge of suspicion and mistrust between these new allies.

One Starfleet captain uncovers this insidious plot, Jonathan Archer of the Enterprise. Determined not to lose what they have gained, outmanned and outgunned, the captains of Starfleet stand tall vowing to defend every inch of Coalition space. The tide begins to turn.

The Romulans now plan to strike at what they see as the heart of their problem. With nothing left to lose, the Romulan Star Empire engages in all out war against humanity, determined once and for all to stop the human menace from spreading across the galaxy.

I haven't had a chance to start it just yet, but my initial impression on receiving it was "wow! That's a hefty book!". It's bigger than previous Trek trade paperbacks from Pocket, and at 450-odd pages, it's reasonably heavy, too:

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  2. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I just got it yesterday, so I have not come close to finishing it.

3. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Out of curiosity, do we know the wordcount for this, or any other measure that would let us know how it stacks up in relation to (say) Full Circle, or DRG3's books?

Just out of curiosity. I mean, I have no problem putting Big Event / High Profile stories in trade even if they're the same length as the shorter ones (still don't get the big hoopla over Treason), but I'm curious if this was primarily a "this story is important" choice or actually a "this is a long-ass book" choice.

4. Man of Steel

Man of Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Probably a long ass book but not as long as DRG's first Crucible book and that was a mass and if we are lucky, what's happening with Treason will happen for this as well so we can shelve next to other ENT books.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think the only reason it was released as a TPB was because it was a new New Frontier book.

6. Thrawn

Right. And what I'm saying is, I don't care. That seems like as good a reason as any.

7. Man of Steel

But now it's being released again as a mass market.

I just hope Pocket decides not to release Trek books in the new Premium editions which cell for $9.99 as the new format is horrible. You can't fit into your pocket anymore. Why publishers decided on this new format is beyond me. Simply, simply horrendous.

8. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

There are two reasons publishers are moving towards the new format: First, the book-buying crowd is getting older. Older people start to appreciate bigger type, so the impetus for taller books is to use a larger typeface for us old-timers, who are the ones who still buy books. The reason the books are no wider, and only taller, is that publishers and distributors don't want to have to replace the hundreds of thousands of paperback book racks already installed at grocery & drug store checkstands across the US and Canada. These racks can accomodate taller books, but not wider books.

Thus, the ugly new format was born out of cheapness coupled with our vain reluctance to buy reading glasses...:rommie:

Last edited: Oct 20, 2009
  9. Man of Steel

That's what the large print editions are for and the price went up by 2 bucks. I just hope Trek books don't go that way.

10. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

As long as the Trek readership continues to skew somewhat younger then the Danielle Steel readership, the books should be safe from that ugly format.

So, try and get more kids reading Trek books :techman:

11. Thrawn

Just in case anyone's curious, like me, in terms of how long it takes to page through what my Kindle calls 1% of the text, it's about 10-20% longer than The 34th Rule, which was something like 100,000 words, iirc.

So, it's long.

12. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Picked up mine today, none of the three closest Boarders had any, either they hadn't arrived or weren't unpacked but they did say they "should" be out by the weekend. Luckily Barnes & Noble had three, can't wait to dive into it. I like how it starts ot like a tv show where you see something that has happened (like a murder on CSI) then you see the events that lead to it.

13. MNM

MNM Captain Captain

I hope it is. I like the setting of this era, the pre-Federation galatic politics and landscape etc, and I am looking forward to the Romulan War specifically, and with no Enterprise book following this one on the schedule until at least 2011, I would be disappointed if this was a short read.

Now I just need my copy to be sent out!

14. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

Planning to pick up my copy tomorrow, I've got a 30% off coupon from Borders. This works out nicely, as I just finished my current read today.

15. Man of Steel

Just be prepared because the book has 85 chapters.

16. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    I'm on Chapter Four right now an thoroughly enjoying this book. I like the conflict Archer is under...much different than the Xindi because he has heavy on his heart what happened with the Kobayashi Maru.

I was very surprised to read in Chapter Two that Hoshi and Mayweather have requested to be transfered from Enterprise. In Chapter Four when they individually talk with Archer, I was half expecting one of the reasons from one of them might be the lack of a promotion...especially after the Xindi war. One of these days the lack of promotions probably will come up. I was surprised at why Hoshi felt she needed to leave the ship, but not at all with Travis. He obviously has a hard time even being in the same room with Archer. I like this darker side of him.

17. CaptainDonovin

^ I kind of saw that coming after Mayweather's reaction after the Maru incident. One thing that did suprise me other than Hoshi was the apparent age of the Daedalus class.

18. Kchunda

Kchunda Commander Red Shirt

^ I didn't really understand that - was that class new as of 2155 and as a result of the war? Or were there already there like the Intrepid class but in the background?

BTW, I'm on Chapter 23. . .

19. CaptainDonovin

^ From the wording it does look like they are older than the NX class since they lack the warp 5 engine. They were never mentioned on ENT but I figured they were to be the warp 7 ships launched after Enterprise was retired. I know that both the year they came into the fleet & the name were never official but I thought somewhere it said they were launched after the war.

Regardless I'm liking the book & hope the rest of the war is covered someday.

20. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it's almost comically large.