Follow up for 'The 37's'

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Terran, Aug 15, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Sorry - come again ?

2. Stevil2001

Stevil2001 Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Stoek

Stoek Commander Red Shirt

It seems to me that when it comes to "fact checking" the old programmers mantra of "Garbage in, garbage out", would hold very true.

In the case of historical things the 23rd and 24th centuries are really no different from our own in that documents get lost, stories get altered and so by the time of the incident in question things may have gotten corrupted sufficiently about the lost colony that "everyone" believes that its name was Jamestown.

But even current events aren't safe. Try to find who really said "The problem is not that we are powerless but rather that we are powerful beyond imagining." No matter how deeply you dig you'll most likely find it attributed to Nelson Mandela, or you'll find someone claiming that it wasn't said by Nelson Mandela. But to the best of my knowledge you won't find any credible information on who actually said it.

Another example comes from when I wanted to find out where the bullshit practice of treating wait people's tips as income and taxing it came from. I've Googled and searched other avenues until my fingers were sore and can't find a reference to an original Bill introduced in the House or Senate.

So faster, even farther reaching doesn't automatically mean better, or more accurate.