STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Jolaris

Jolaris Commander Red Shirt

The more I think about it there is one simple reason I love this movie. It's the characters!

With ST09 I had problems with almost everyone, as if they were not yet comfortable to fill such big shoes.

STiD made me not care if their was any plotholes, lensflares, nor did I care if their was too much action (which was another problem with ST09).

But this time, oh boy, this time! There was no longer any mistake that this was Kirk, McCoy and Spock, their body language, their quirks, their strengths and weaknesses. It was like seeing old friends again. :techman:

And Uhura saving the day and Sulu being badass in the big chair?
    Hell yeah!

And the "Hello, I'm Carol Wallace"-scene, that was the one that launched a million new K/S slashfic. :guffaw:

And Cumberbatch?

That man is one hell of a actor!
    There is no justice in this world if he does not receive an Oscar in a few short years.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

For sure!

3. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

Just got back. I need to see it again because I had to see it on a stupid IMAX dome, and I hate the distortion those cause. But anyway....

A+. Phenomenal. Don't know what else to say. The scene with Pike chewing out Kirk in his office was just awesome.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does anyone remember Janet Wallace?

5. teacake

One of Kirk's flings? HE FLUNG WITH CAROL'S MOM?!

6. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I really liked that scene because the end of the last movie it still looked/felt like Kirk was a bit of a douche. Then he is in a lot of trouble but greets it facetiously and I loved how Pike just shut him down, along with the prime directive talk.

7. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

Saw the Fan Preview in Imax and 3D tonight.

I was'nt the hugest fan of what JJ Abrams did to Trek in his first film, but it took his second installment to cement that I don't like his take on Star Trek. Like the first its all flash and no substance or feeling. His characters bear resemblance in name only to classic TOS characters but they don't inherit the same space, in fact in JJ's alt-Trek Kirk is a Douce, Spock is practically Homicidal, the only characters that come out of this film Portrayed well is Karl Urban's Bones MCcoy, and Simon Pegg's Scotty. Kirk from the opening seenis portrayed still as a wild party boy and rebel. Spock Flutuates from decrying Starfleet's revenge motives to laying a virtual ass whooping on the baddie.

And Let's talk about the Plot and Said Baddie John" You Knew he was Khan" Harrison. Why did it have to be Khan, JJ Started on the right foot making the baddies Starfleet's Secret Section 31. Harrison could have had any motive giving to him for wanting to get bad at Admiral Marcus, but no, because JJ can't create a plot of his own, why not make an alt-verse Wrath of Khan? So the good Admiral just happens to come across Khan and His crew and he enlists Khan, a man 300 years out date to help him develop advanced weaponry and ships..??? Huh, thats like asking a Roman to help you design the cell Phone. Several Action Set pieces ensue until we get the inevitable ending that Apes the classic Trek 2 ending, except guess what it's reversed so that it's Kirk that sacrifices his Crew and Spock gets to emote the infamous Khan Bello for some inane erase. That is until a Deux ending that anyone could see coming from a mile away, had a Tribble waking up at just the right time. And why was everyone so Gung ho on spock Taking Khan alive when even McCoy realized he had 72 of the little buggers on his Ship anyhow.

JJ If I want to Watch Khan done Right I'll watch the original, I have about 42 times already I'd like to see some originality.. And I like how they can pull out Old Spock as a crutch now just because New Spock is too stupid to work it out himself, so he can just dial up old Spock so he can object..but what the Heck give him the Answer anyhow.

And where is the Grand utopia of Earth, when pock and Khan fought on that vehicle there was enough toxic emissions coming off of it to create a global meltdown. And what is with those god awful Hats....

I Invite eeryone to go back and watch the original Khan from Spock's Death thru to his Funeral scene and shoot down to the genesis planet and see how Real Trek Moves you, right down to playing Amazing Grace for Spock as he in Death finds his humanity.

And then go watch JJ's version.

8. Jolaris

Yeah, I do. I pride myself on my intimate knowledge of Star Trek minutiae, but that and a few other references went straight over my head. :techman:

9. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

I've seen both. They're both great. What's your point?

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Sorry, have seen that dozens of times (I own a copy, of course) and know it well. You exaggerate its virtues far beyond the modest sentimental impact of the thing (and "Amazing Grace" evoked a couple of groans from the opening night crowd at KB MacArthur in June of 1982 - puh-lease).

That has no bearing at all on how good this movie is - and it's very, very good. It's as much "Real Trek" as that thirty year-old, good but limited film was. Frankly, most of these actors are better than most of those actors and they're allowed to show more range.

11. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I read 200 posts so far. Lots of discussion about Khan's ethnicity. Thought I'd repost this from another thread...

12. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

It's hardly a Deus Ex ending if you saw it coming a mile away....and as far as the "72 other augments", I don't think McCoy wanted to take the chance especially if he had to wake the other augments or they didn't have the same abilities Khan did.

And yeah, part of the point of the movie was that Kirk still hadn't matured or faced the no win scenario. He was still cocky, he still hadn't faced a no win scenario or lost any crew members underneath him and presumably his command was going really well up until this point. That was kinda the point of the movie, you see Kirk going through all kinds of emotions and even he says he is winging it.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

Nah, that's too literal. I think the writers just intended an homage to the character in Carol's adoption of the name.

Or maybe Kirk nailed one of Carol's cousins and that's what she knows of his "reputation." :lol:

14. teacake

If JJ had included Amazing Grace I would have walked out. Utterly retarded to play an christian hymn at a Vulcan's funeral.

15. Jolaris

Kirk has always been a rebel, it's one of his most defining characteristics.

16. teacake

yeah I'm thinking that's it. A cousin :techman:

17. Admiral Buzzkill

There is that, isn't there? We're a little more sensitive to that kind of thing than we used to be - the U.S. government, after all, supposedly made some cursory attempt to give even bin Laden a burial appropriate to his beliefs.

18. teacake

I absolutely LOVE NuKirk's Kirk. So believable that Prime Kirk who was still getting in huge trouble with Starfleet when he was retirement age started out like that. Only he doesn't have the leeway he's going to earn after years of successfully saving their asses :lol:

19. Jolaris

Wasn't the cousin named Christine Chapel though? :p

20. teacake

Before they chucked him out of the helicopter? Interesting.