Where's Star Trek Four???

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Cheapjack, Aug 4, 2009.

1. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

http://totalscifionline.com/features/3809

A pity the most well written and polished film doesn't make it onto this list. Not enough explosions, obviously. It's as least as good as ST2, if not better. It's harder to get back to something than it is to move away from it.

2. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't worry about it be missing from a list which includes in the review of Ron Howard's Cocoon: "along with Daryl Hannah at her sexiest." It's a shame she wasn't actually in the film...

3. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

About 95% of the choices on that list are good decisions, but they've got "Farenheit 451" (which I can say without feeling I'm exaggerating is one of the ten worst, most poorly made movies I've ever seen, regardless of the great source material and director) and that pretty (but hollow and pointless) piece of crap "Blade Runner" at number one, which nullifies it in my eyes.

4. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah. That list is a mix of "Of course that has to be there" and "Why in the world is that piece of dreck there?" (as well as a fair amount of "Why isn't this there?") I'm actually a bit surprised that I agree with a number few of those choices, though most certainly not all - Fahrenheit 451 being a case in point since I'd definitely put that in my "dreck" pile. How anybody could consider that thing as significant...

5. Argus Skyhawk

Argus Skyhawk Commodore Commodore

Star Trek 4 was a fun movie, but hardly one of the all-time greats. I agree with leaving off the list.

The fact that they included the fun-but-dumb Independence Day however...

6. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This list loses all credibility for having Starship Troopers on it, albeit 76th. Until a new one takes its place, Starship Troopers is absolutely without a doubt in my mind the single worst piece of garbage that has the nerve to call itself a film that I have ever seen from start to finish.

7. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree. I'd say that they got virtually all of the good ones, but included an equal number of undeserving items.

Wrong Invasion of the Body Snatchers and The Fly. The remakes are good enough, but they lack the impact of the originals.

8. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I'd have thought First Contact is the more surprising omission, as that seems to have nearly as much critical acclaim as 2, and more than 6 (which is there). But there you go.

9. CaptainStoner

CaptainStoner Knuckle-dragging TNZ Denizen Admiral

Whaleophobes.

10. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm surprised none of the original Star Trek movies are in there. I don't understand why Star Wars is, I never really liked Star Wars at all. It's stupid, IMHO.

11. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^^^^
    Star Wars is on the list because millions of people have disagreed with your assessment. :p You're perfectly free to dislike it, of course, but to deny its popularity and importance in the world of science-fiction cinema is rather short-sighted.

I would never expect to see TVH on any "Best Sci-Fi Movies" list; frankly, I was a little surprised to see TUC on there. I quite enjoy both films, but I don't think I'd describe them as two of the greatest science-fiction movies of all time.

As for the list as a whole -- eh, I don't have too many problems with it. I don't agree with all the choices, and there are a few I haven't seen, but generally, it's a pretty solid sampling of (mostly) good sci-fi.

Oh, and I love Blade Runner, so :nyah:.

;)

12. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was a lot stranger TMP was left out. Westworld makes it but not TMP???:eek:

These sorts of lists are fun to initiate discussions. But I probably agree with about 60% MAX of their selections. There's some excellent films in there, but a lot of popular action/adventure dreck.

I wouldn't have Blade Runner at #1 (that would probbaly go to 2001), but it would be in my top 10.

It was nice to see A Boy And His Dog, Solyaris, La Jetee, Alphaville, Moon, The Man Who Fell To Earth, Donnie Darko, Silent Running, Dark City, The Quiet Earth and Delicatessen mentioned.

But Planet of the Apes in the top ten??? Robocop as high as it was??? City Of Lost Children completely missing? I wouldn't have Total recall on the list at all.

See what I mean?:rommie:

13. KingstonTrekker

KingstonTrekker Commander Red Shirt

I agree that The Voyage Home should have made the list. It is a better film in many ways than The Undiscovered Country (which is riddled with plot holes due to its rushed production schedule to get it out for the 25th Anniversary.)

Star Trek 09 should have been in the list's Top 50.

14. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, James Whale was represented with The Invisible Man (1933), but I think his Frankenstein was unfairly snubbed.

15. Captain Pike

Captain Pike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never understood the appeal of STIV. It's typical 80's C-grade schlock, mostly. Highly forgettable.

(IMO)

16. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree that 95% of those films deserve to be there albeit I personally would adjust the positions a bit (e.g. Empire is a better movie than New Hope IMHO) - but remember it would be a boring list if they just had one genre of movie in there and they can't please all of the people all of the time - that's the whole point of a survey - if enough people want it there, it's in.

Blade Runner deserves to be number one. Every scene in that movie is perfectly shot and performed. People may not warm to its plot but it is a masterpiece. I enjoyed 2001 a lot less than many of the other films on the list but I can acknowledge that for its day it was an amazing movie and its themes are still relevant today. I really want to watch the original Solaris too.

17. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I have to admit it is a guilty pleasure of mine. It is so over the top. But the bottom line for me is that it is a fun movie.

18. Orac

Orac Fleet Admiral Admiral

That's a pretty good list, it even has a few movies I haven't seen yet on it.

I think three Star Trek movies in a list of 100 is enough though, I would have included TMP instead of Trek 09 myself and TVH isn't better than TWOK or TUC imo.

19. Chrisisall

Chrisisall Commodore Commodore

Is it just me, or do you post this just to exhibit a degree of shallow goofieness to provoke?:lol:

So, you must be too young to consider Hitler's book burning as significant, eh?;)
    It was ground-breaking, like 2001.
    That's a travesty IMO.
    Classic, dude.:techman:

Agreed.

Your opinion is duely noted, yet broadly dismissed.:guffaw:

Fair enough to say. I would put it on equal footing with Serenity, but that's just me, embracing the grays in storytelling.:techman:

20. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

Actually, I'm a "dudette" - but that's OK :lol: